Smart:comp by Sonible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

andycraig wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 pm
Armadillo wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm Additional discount for loyal users, bringing the price down to 65 euros. Nice.

It'd be interesting to test this, as I do like their previous products.
Did you get an email with a discount code? I have their other products but haven't seen anything (although I didn't purchase them direct from Sonible).
Yeah, I got an email with what looks like a personalised code.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:20 pm
dblock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:18 pm
Digivolt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:11 pm
dblock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm Please don't turn this into yet another ilok rant post. It is sooo old. Those who have the product please let us know what you think about "the actual product" as opposed to the box it came in. :pray:

+1 I want to know what more experienced users think about this clever comp and if it's worth actually having :tu:
I bought it without demoing. I knew it was smarter than I am :)
Just started a new piece. The kick sounded ok but a little fuzzy around the edges so I threw Smartcomp on it and it really tightened it up nicely and gave it more definition. So far works exactly like it's supposed to and only takes a few seconds. Already happy with it.
Electronic? What kind of kick?
Initially electronic but since you asked, I decided to try it on an EZDrummer kick too since there isn't too much processing already there like perfect Drums or SSD5. Same result. Nice tightening and added punch.

dusted william wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:20 pm
dusted william wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:57 pm I'm wondering about the discount code too. I haven't received on yet either.
I actually did get an email.
I can confirm me too!

dblock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm Please don't turn this into yet another ilok rant post. It is sooo old. Those who have the product please let us know what you think about "the actual product" as opposed to the box it came in. :pray:
+1 I want to know what more experienced users think about this clever comp and if it's worth actually having :tu:
Just started a new piece. The kick sounded ok but a little fuzzy around the edges so I threw Smartcomp on it and it really tightened it up nicely and gave it more definition. So far works exactly like it's supposed to and only takes a few seconds. Already happy with it.
Nice but I thought it was more mastering/bus level compressing than single channel no ? I'm guessing it's completely transparent too and doesn't add any character ?

I asked a stupid question about what about smart:comp is unique. I should have read through the site first. Spectral processing. Interesting... I'll have to try it out.. :phones:

Digivolt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:44 pm
Nice but I thought it was more mastering/bus level compressing than single channel no ? I'm guessing it's completely transparent too and doesn't add any character ?
Check out the website. It says"...mixing phase or to put the finishing touches on your mix when mastering..."

Have to admit that anything that has the word AI in it I am a bit skeptical but for what it's worth, I did purchase another PluginBoutique special, Sphere Comp and have to say it's an excellent bus compressor in the digital domain. Maybe this is worth checking out.

[Deleted]

curious on the CPU load and latency VS a "common" go-to compressor... such as FF Pro-C2 or DMG Trackcomp etc...

dblock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 pm
3ee wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:01 pm cool, seems very promising! Can't wait to try it out soon! :tu:

added: "To use sonible plug-ins, you need to have the PACE iLok License Manager installed on your machine. You DO NOT need an iLok account or iLok USB stick to use smart:comp." ... pass!
Why do developers use iLok! ? :x
Please don't turn this into yet another ilok rant post. It is sooo old. Those who have the product please let us know what you think about "the actual product" as opposed to the box it came in. :pray:
I wont, i wont. :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Can’t wait to try this one out, anyone care to share his experiences?

This sounds so killer, I have no interest in upgrading my izotope stuff at all.

The eq is amazing. Not surprised this comp is so good!

btw, iLok is truly nauseating. But at least we don't need the physical dongle.

I've spent some time with smart:comp. Very interesting. Interesting to see something different being brought to the dynamics table. So far the most interesting thing to me is the ability to dial in the time domain curve so that it sounds musical and blends into the crests and troughs of the music. I do this by using the difference listen and dialing in the timing curve so that it makes musical sense. this feature is amazing and really blends the compression effecting into the flow of the music really smoothly. the comp has a very smooth sound. creamy almost analogue. the spectral compression adds a nice dimension of dialing in the amount of "creaminess', for lack of a better way to put it. one thing I have trouble with is the auto makeup, which I have to disable tune by ear because its always not matching very well. with all the compressors i have (a lot of the top tier stuff) i am finding smart:comp to be pretty unique. that timing thing is something i always wanted in a compressor. the only one that came close is DMG Compassion but it's not very easy to use because it's all numeric and not as direct in terms of how it affects the sound.

I could post some demo tracks, dry vs wet if you wanted. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 am ...
Well, this is always welcome.
Curious about this one since I already use/like some of them plugins.

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 am I've spent some time with smart:comp. Very interesting. Interesting to see something different being brought to the dynamics table. So far the most interesting thing to me is the ability to dial in the time domain curve so that it sounds musical and blends into the crests and troughs of the music. I do this by using the difference listen and dialing in the timing curve so that it makes musical sense. this feature is amazing and really blends the compression effecting into the flow of the music really smoothly. the comp has a very smooth sound. creamy almost analogue. the spectral compression adds a nice dimension of dialing in the amount of "creaminess', for lack of a better way to put it. one thing I have trouble with is the auto makeup, which I have to disable tune by ear because its always not matching very well. with all the compressors i have (a lot of the top tier stuff) i am finding smart:comp to be pretty unique. that timing thing is something i always wanted in a compressor. the only one that came close is DMG Compassion but it's not very easy to use because it's all numeric and not as direct in terms of how it affects the sound.

What kind of music did you use it on?

Return to “Effects”