Output - Introducing PORTAL: A Granular FX Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fractalism for Output Portal Portal

No demo = absolutely BS in 2019

I meant chord changes...you get the idea. Lol. My bad.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Congrats on the release! Granular plugins are always welcome & fun, especially like Portal which seems rather unique like no other granulator. I espacially like the idea of having other effects implemented into the plugin like the chorus, the distortion, the reverb, the phaser, etc combined & joining the granulation. Really unique. Definitely seems like a solid tool for creating complex soundscapes.

A bit pricey for a plugin you can't really test drive, but I might give it a go if I hear more good reviews about it.

Mathematics wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm EW...dead to me. Can someone post samples of a simple melody like Twinkle Twinkle, Mary had... using output? Essentially anything with multiple key changes. Greatly appreciated. I just don't want to pay $150 to demo something. The price is ridiculous if it doesn't use something like Zynaptiq's "Organic Resynthesis," hence the test.

Oh, long tails please.
Well said!

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:40 am Congrats on the release! Granular plugins are always welcome & fun, especially like Portal which seems rather unique like no other granulator. I espacially like the idea of having other effects implemented into the plugin like the chorus, the distortion, the reverb, the phaser, etc combined & joining the granulation. Really unique. Definitely seems like a solid tool for creating complex soundscapes.

A bit pricey for a plugin you can't really test drive, but I might give it a go if I hear more good reviews about it.
First impressions while trying it.
Easy on CPU.
Two pages/well thought GUI (via tab) makes it fast to get somewhere with it.
Two macros/two mods aren't a lot but drag and drop functionality is well implemented.
Re: refund option, I dealt with them before and have really nothing bad to say about it.
The reason I'v tried it, despite the rather high price tag.
I'd summarize by saying its pretty fun to use.
All this being just my two cents, of course.
edit: pretty stable so far under OS X HS and Logic 10.4.5.
Last edited by nordickvr on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nordickvr wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:40 am Congrats on the release! Granular plugins are always welcome & fun, especially like Portal which seems rather unique like no other granulator. I espacially like the idea of having other effects implemented into the plugin like the chorus, the distortion, the reverb, the phaser, etc combined & joining the granulation. Really unique. Definitely seems like a solid tool for creating complex soundscapes.

Easy on CPU.
Two macros/two mods aren't a lot but drag and drop functionality is well implemented.
Re: refund option, I dealt with them before and have really nothing bad to say about it.
Thanks alot for your input (and two precious cents!)

The thing is that I own crusher-X and it's one hell of a beast, the Godzilla of the grains. I like the concept and ideas behind Portal but I'm really not sure from what I saw & heard in the very few videos on their website that it'll bring something new on the table for me, granular wise. I'm afraid that if I get it, I'll be exited for a few days with it like a kid with a new action figure and then go back to the old favorite one and it'll collect dust. And at $150, it starts to be quite an expensive toy if it's just to reach it a few times...

cfanyc wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 pm No demo = absolutely BS in 2019
Well there's a refund policy, but that's a pain in the ass compared to a demo I suppose.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:51 pm
nordickvr wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Easy on CPU.
Thanks alot for your input (and two precious cents!)

The thing is that I own crusher-X and it's one hell of a beast, the Godzilla of the grains. I like the concept and ideas behind Portal but I'm really not sure from what I saw & heard in the very few videos on their website that it'll bring something new on the table for me, granular wise. I'm afraid that if I get it, I'll be exited for a few days with it like a kid with a new action figure and then go back to the old favorite one and it'll collect dust. And at $150, it starts to be quite an expensive toy if it's just to reach it a few times...
Hear you clearly.
Definitely not on the same league as Crusher-X which I also use.
Its all about convenience/fast result/fun to use, imo.
Could go out of this world or toward more standard FXs.
Macros will let you go between those two directions easily using the x - y pad.
And yes, price is... high!

Also edited my post about the stability while using it.
That's with Mac though.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 pm
cfanyc wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 pm No demo = absolutely BS in 2019
Well there's a refund policy, but that's a pain in the ass compared to a demo I suppose.
not only that but let's say i want to buy an eq and test 20 to find the one i like the most.
With the refund route I have to shell out thousands of dollars just for the test and then
spend a week trying to get the funds back. And if 10% of them do not refund as promised, then
I am in for $100s in losses. It is just stupid.

Anyone compare this to the granular delay in byome?

I guess Granite is a good comparison which I have and like a lot. It’s £99 which is similar area price wise.

Is Granite an effects plugin?

Is Portal filtering per grains or it’s a post filter processed after the granulation ?

Interesting review and tour of Portal:

https://theproaudiofiles.com/portal-gra ... by-output/

yehboy1 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 pm Is Granite an effects plugin?
Yes, and an instrument too.

Return to “Effects”