Output - Introducing PORTAL: A Granular FX Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fractalism for Output Portal Portal

it's also a silly word.

Neon Breath wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:09 pm Simon, did you get Portal? I didn't yet, waiting for more reviews and opinions about its sonic qualities.
No, I need another granulator like a hole in my head, crusherX is all I need for mangling live audio and it does pitch quantization perfectly well.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:09 pm Simon, did you get Portal? I didn't yet, waiting for more reviews and opinions about its sonic qualities.
No, I need another granulated like a hole in my head, crusherX is all I need for mangling live audio and it does pitch quantization perfectly well.
I hear you. I am pretty much in the same boat.... Looks nice and slick, but really not sure if I need it. Surely not in fact :hihi:

pk-1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:30 pm Absolutely archaic. Somehow I lost my iLok dongle → hassle.
So, what next? If you loose your car or apartment keys, you're going to blame the car manufacturer or landlord for using "archaic" access technologies?

The examples you mention are related to customer service and have nothing to do with DRM technology ...
False equivalencies...

Tell me:

1) what alternatives do I have for entering my home or driving my car than using a key? I’m not aware of any (yes there is “keyless” entry but you still need the fob, which amounts to the same thing).

2) what alternatives do developers have for piracy protection? I can think of quite a few.

Why is customer service somehow mutually exclusive with the benefits (or lack there of) of DRM technology?

Hiring a thief?

ictools wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:36 pm Please list the pros to the cons, because I'm having a difficult time thinking of some.
There are three secure approaches to copy protection: Bind the license to internal hardware, to external hardware, or to a server on the internet.

The "pro" of each approach is avoiding the "cons" of the other two. Nothing more, nothing less. None of them is inherently "better", only more convenient depending on your usage scenario.

OK, how about we speak about the actual plugin? :)

I think Output is good at making things easy and accessible and Portal seems no exception.
Granular never really gelled with me as I find it too chaotic.
This plugin seems more musical and controlled to me, and by combining it with some other effects it has a nice scope to it. It's presented in an easy and gorgeous looking interface, which adds to the experience.

Probably not deep enough for real granular fans, but for people who like it easy and more accessible it could be a good fit. Not cheap though for an effect.

Here are some recent demo's with different kinds of material.

Portal with pads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWt8xU3fhHA

Portal studio session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFAB3nzalGo&t=738s

Portal with vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLsn5w3UCQ

Portal with drums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9skAZLJ9Ro

Portal with guitars & keys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KhpMJzNdg

Stefken wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 am OK, how about we speak about the actual plugin? :)
About time!!

Thanks for those examples :)

Stefken wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 am OK, how about we speak about the actual plugin? :)
I find it quite odd how people try to avoid ALL the facts about a specific piece of software made by a specific developer. It's as if they are ashamed to admit EVERYTHING that is included in the package deal. It's almost like they are afraid to address the issues of things like poor customer service, copy protection and the installation process. It's all part of the deal people, and there should be nothing to hide or shy away from.

There's no looking past things such as poor customer service, a hassle to install, issues with a certain operating system, the need for a dongle or other information that is important to a customer before making a purchase. Things like, there is no demo available and only a refund policy in place, are very important for people to know, even if you just want to talk about features.

Don't start a thread or participate in one if you can't stomach the criticism. Forums are designed for all aspects and opinions to be discussed, even if your personal threshold has been met. I would guess that over 75% of the people look past a product with dongle protection from the jump, maybe you should address that issue instead of running from it?

ictools wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm It's all part of the deal people, and there should be nothing to hide or shy away from.
Nobody is hiding or avoiding anything here, in fact it's been discussed openly for more than 5 pages.

It's a tool to create sounds and make music, so yes like it or not some people care more about what the plugins actually does, its workflow, how it sounds, etc. I find it quite odd how people can care more about all the technicalities and stuff under the hood that the developer won't change anyway than what the plugin actually does and how it sounds.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm I find it quite odd how people can care more about all the technicalities and stuff under the hood that the developer won't change anyway than what the plugin actually does and how it sounds.
Counterpoint: Output won't change its policy from "must buy to try" to offering a free demo if everyone just folds and buys it anyway. Customer feedback like this is important, else companies will trample over the consumer like dirt. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Every KVR discussion of a new plugin which requires a dongle devolves into merely bickering about said dongle. That is not a discussion about the plugin, but a discussion about how much certain people hate or love ilok or elicenser. Yes, it requires it, and it is fine to make observation if that fact. Having page after page after page of every friggin topic be monopolized by dongle hate is no longer a discussion about the plugin itself. I really don’t care which side of the debate you’re on... can we talk about features which are unique to the specific product and not about their choice of third party protection technology? It lends nothing useful to the conversation, and it isn’t as if it hasn’t been talked about before. Endlessly.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm
Nobody is hiding or avoiding anything here, in fact it's been discussed openly for more than 5 pages.
I guess when 75% to 90% of the audio industry community avoids dongles altogether, it should result in about 50 pages of complaints, you should feel lucky with only 5. Maybe developers will start to listen to their customers needs more, rather then their own wishful thinking that dongles are actually saving them money. They are missing out on a lot of potential sales, which keeps them in business, so they can keep making plugins for you to glorify their features.

Dongle Dingle Dangle... Crackerty Smackerty....

For everyone who hates the dingle there is someone who likes them. So that’s that.

Btw...does portal require a dangle?

ictools wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 am
I guess when 75% to 90% of the audio industry community avoids dongles altogether, it should result in about 50 pages of complaints, you should feel lucky with only 5. Maybe developers will start to listen to their customers needs more, rather then their own wishful thinking that dongles are actually saving them money. They are missing out on a lot of potential sales, which keeps them in business, so they can keep making plugins for you to glorify their features.
We've heard complaints like yours 1000 times here over the years. A drop in the ocean, time to move on.

Return to “Effects”