On the fence about doing a pedal setup...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tappistry wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 amThe new Fractal FM3 was announced today.
That looks tasty. Pretty different in use I would imagine. Looks about half the size. First impression is I would miss a few foot switches. Can't say I'd like the AX8 with any fewer than it currently has.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 am
Tappistry wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 amThe new Fractal FM3 was announced today.
That looks tasty. Pretty different in use I would imagine. Looks about half the size. First impression is I would miss a few foot switches. Can't say I'd like the AX8 with any fewer than it currently has.
Folks on the forums and YouTube suspect there could be another model down the road that has more footswitches that will clock in at the $1500 price point. This one is a comparable bargain at $1k to entice more folks into the Fractal universe.

Heartfeltdawn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 amThe Particle's good but the Montreal Assembly Count to 5 is better.
Better for synths or guitars or both? But thanks for reminding me, I was going to check out some more demos of that one. The ones I saw originally didn't convince me but I've heard a lot of people praise it.

TL;DR:
I wanted a guitar trem, but ended up with 7 pedals instead :hihi:
---

I started out on guitar 30+ years ago, but never had any pedals (apart from a 2nd hand Ibanez EQ, and a 2nd hand Ibanez multieffect rack).

I've only recently started playing again.
I always wanted a guitar trem, and after some research bought a Digitech Whammy. Such fun!

Then I noticed the Digitech Freqout. Another dream come true (my old guitar + amp setup squealed like a pig, in a bad way, unusable to me - nowadays I have to mind the neighbours).

I never used a wah pedal either. Then I watched a youtube vid extolling the cheap Behringer stuff
So I ordered a Behringer pedal board, a Hell Babe wah, a CL9 Compressor Limiter, a TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive, a SF300 Super Fuzz and a UV300 Ultra Vibrato.

My reasoning:
- expression pedals (wah and Whammy) and feedback pedal are nice to have in hardware, so you can do all in a single hands-on (feet-on?) performance.
- a hardware limiter is nice to have while recording, esp. at €19.
- overdrive, fuzz, even a vibrato at €19? At this point, my resistance was futile.

I used to wish for extra hands, now I'd like a 3rd foot as well :wink:

in the end its about what inspires you, both sonically and workflow wise.
id suggest adding one or two at most, seeing how you get on with the workflow.
if it works out, great, then add more, if not, you haven't blown 1200 in one go.
no point regretting it.

I love my pedals, some affordable stuff and some diy - nothing fancy, have them in a re-amp loop from my soundcard, sometimes something just as simple as a slightly dirty booster pedal can sometimes make a lead (synth or otherwise) come to life.

That being said, I'd rather wait to get the synth, explore what it can do and then 'fill in' some gear, that is if you need to.

Tappistry wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am
morelia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:01 am These things (https://www.fractalaudio.com/p-fx8-mult ... edalboard/) are in my opinion incredible, and only 899 at present.

I have the AX8 which might be unnecessary but adds about an insane amount of guitar amps and cabinets.
The new Fractal FM3 was announced today. It's replacing the FX8, because it's using the same new Ares amp model technology from the Axe-FX III rack unit. (The FX8 was using the amp models from the previous generation rack unit).

Press Release
https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423 ... ultiFX.pdf
The lack of knobs makes that one not suitable for this purpose, but I’ll definitely check that out for my guitar rig. Probably a Christmas buy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

OK, I ended up with a hybrid approach.

I ordered an Expressive E Touché controller. (WTF! :lol:) This will be to control my plugins, including my new acquisitions, Valhalla Delay, Shimmer and Pulsar Echorec.

It will also control an Analog Heat and Torcido. Distortion seemed the most important thing to do in hardware and I picked these for their modulation abilities and controllability.

I’ll probably use what’s leftover to update some of my Audio Damage plugins. That said, one of the reasons I went with plugins and a controller is because I decided that macros would be important, and easier to do in MXXX and Molekular. I’ll still probably pick up the Empress multi effect or the FM3 this Christmas, but I’ll relegate that to guitar.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

There’s a few pedals weeping because they’ve been left on the shelf.

Acid Mitch wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:57 pm There’s a few pedals weeping because they’ve been left on the shelf.
I’m an angry god.
Zerocrossing Media

:lol:

I love the sansamp fly rig series. Designed a little to be set and forget but covers a lot a sonic ground. Sound superb in my humble hidden away in down under world. You can get additional attachments which make tweaking easier but the idea is to reduce accidental bumps. I recommend the RK Fly Rig.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 pm in the end its about what inspires you, both sonically and workflow wise...
yes - this

for me : the strat > zvex fuss factory pedal > amp while loud is singularly inspiring

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:28 pm theres something primal about stepping on a foot switch, feeling that click!
connects you with the sound in a way clicking a mouse button just cant :(
Couldn't agree more. I just about put my foot through the floor with excitement as I stomp my way into filthy heaven...cue stupid guitar face that I just can't help when it happens :evil:

we've all got a stupid guitar face :D
i just wish mine would piss off when im not playing guitar :cry:

Return to “Effects”