Are subscription models a cure for GAS?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only good subscription model is the rent-to-own one. I rather prefer buying once and then they raise the version number of the plugin in every 2 years which requires another purchase.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm
Add up all the slate models (assuming you would use them, I do) and then give them a 50% off sale.
lol... because that's what people would normally pay for those, right? Ever heard of a sales-technique that's called "bundles"?

Subscriptions suck.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

No. Nothing can cure the GAS.

Just face it, Buy something, and Be Happy.

GAS, buy, play, repeat :D
It never ends :P

After subbing to the Slate Bundle for a year, I realised that I have my bases covered with perpetual licenses, actually I probably have more than I really need. I don't plan to sign up to anymore subs, nor do I intend to purchase any more perpetual licenses, in fact I want to relieve myself of some. I'd say subs are a good cure for GAS :tu:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm After subbing to the Slate Bundle for a year, I realised that I have my bases covered with perpetual licenses, actually I probably have more than I really need. I don't plan to sign up to anymore subs, nor do I intend to purchase any more perpetual licenses, in fact I want to relieve myself of some. I'd say subs are a good cure for GAS :tu:
Nah. You just need some time. :D

nicksohn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:09 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm After subbing to the Slate Bundle for a year, I realised that I have my bases covered with perpetual licenses, actually I probably have more than I really need. I don't plan to sign up to anymore subs, nor do I intend to purchase any more perpetual licenses, in fact I want to relieve myself of some. I'd say subs are a good cure for GAS :tu:
Nah. You just need some time. :D
:clap: :hihi:
Always Read the Manual!

Has anyone added up the cost of all their plugin purchases they've made over their lifetime?
It would be interesting to see some of the high numbers from people with large plugin counts.

rewrite history wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 pm Has anyone added up the cost of all their plugin purchases they've made over their lifetime?
It would be interesting to see some of the high numbers from people with large plugin counts.
I've spent about $xxxxxx over the last 4-5 years. :phones:
Last edited by plexuss on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rewrite history wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 pm Has anyone added up the cost of all their plugin purchases they've made over their lifetime?
Keep in mind that most plugins that were bought can also be sold. Yes you do lose quite a bit but never the less you can get some of the investment back.. which is not at all the case with subscriptions of course.

My main gripe with subscriptions is that it very quickly adds up to stupid amounts if you need tools from several different vendors.. and you then get stuck in a bad limbo situation where you can't easily get out of the deal without first sacrificing a lot of time and flexibility in rendering all results to audio so that you can return to projects.

A person who constantly buys every plugin is weird beast though.. perhaps subscriptions were indeed made for these whales?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'd want in my subscription:
1. At least 80% of all of the plugins currently available
2. At least 90% of all new plugins would be available on release
3. Any plugin upgrades included
4. Ability to install/use all on 3 machines concurrently

I'd pay 23 bucks a month for that. If you can't give me that then...

heyheycnv wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 pm I'd want in my subscription:

80% of the Plugins available, for a Company? or like...Just in general...?
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:24 pm
heyheycnv wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 pm I'd want in my subscription:

80% of the Plugins available, for a Company? or like...Just in general...?
In general. Like Spotify. I don't want to get tied to only one company. Nobody has that many great plugins.

Or if many developers want to band together into smaller subscription groups (ala Netflix,Hulu,Prime) and each charge 9.99 I'd test out a couple.

Until then...

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm Disagree. Some maths:

Add up all the slate models (assuming you would use them, I do) and then give them a 50% off sale.

Then add up subscriptions for let's say 10 years (which is absurdly liberal considering tech will change a lot in that time) and you'll get AT WORST about 1500 bucks (and I sure as hell have not paid 1-fiddy a year). Which is worse? See, maths ARE good.

It's financial suicide to pay for those plug separately. Yes, yes, if you don't use them they are worthless but I use them all the time so it's win.

The one that sucked was the MCDSP one that I did. You cannot suspend it, and the only plug I really like was the 6050 and it went on sale a week later for fiddy. :cry: :help: So I got hosed on that one.

The one for Studio One is cool too. I used it for about 4 months, decided I didn't want it anymore and canceled it. If I would have been in love with S1, I would have bought it here and then canceled it, so it was convenient.

Blank statements like "subscriptions suck" is pretty lame and you don't really have an argument financially. It really depends on the individual and prices.
The problem is that a lot of people would have to sign up several services to get what they need, and when you pay for a license it has a resell value most of the time so your maths doesn’t work out

rewrite history wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:28 pm The subscription model seems to be a perfect fit for those that tend to buy a lot of things on impulse.
Exact opposite. Are you sure you know what an impulse buy is?

Someone will get a subscription, and then go buy something on impulse - screwed twice.

Return to “Effects”