Which companies have user-friendly copy protection schemes ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to say that there is a very legit and understandable reasons to know what sort of copy protection is used in different softwares. Is better to know from the beginning and not to regret it in the upcoming future for the unavoidable possible fail of the machine or an update of the operative system and more situations; for instance, what a copy protection means is also the upcoming result of our choice, we should think about the years that follows (5, 10, 20...) and what might happen when the company might/will be not there anymore.

With serials and liscense key and similar (no of those that requires internet or need to be tied to the machine dependent of the company in order to our products and investment to work) we can save the keys in a external hard drive or a memory in all sort of no so pleasant experience, where with other methods we are completely dependent of the company in order to our products/investments to work, or pay an additional yearly fee for "protection", or needs for a dongle that cost more than 8 times the price of a normal flash drive. some companies might help you to get "your license" again, yes, but is not an advisable option in the long term really, because if the company is not there, then you will not have your products neither=dependency=you don't have product; is not guaranteed they will be there always and that is a real problem, and honestly that is one of the reasons I never buy some synths or effects and sometimes would like to know others key file and serial based synths and effects independent and secured, with the possibility to save my keys in my external hard drive or memory in case of system fail, updates and more, no in hands or dependency of others, with respect to all developers.

I can understand OPs concerns about this subject, just to add that not all info is specified sometimes, some webpages say that some synth and effects are only "key file" and "serial", but really some keys files and serials only will work as long as is tied in the same machine that at the same times has to be dependent of the company to work, I never knew that when I needed and some info has helped me to understand the real mechanism of some CP, all with respect, this is an important topic and source of information.

I don't know if I should call it user-friendly, But I take a peaceful and relaxed breathing when I find companies with key file/serial based CP (without need to be tied to a machine that might fail or other very possible case), I love that and my investment will be there always.

Waves:
Since I transferred my licenses to an usb stick I had no troubles anymore.
So I wouldn’t consider them as bad. It works similar to ilok and e-licenser.

Hornet plug-ins come out top for me, you simply download the full plug-in when you have paid. If you lose it you can re-download an unlimited number of times as they're stored on your account. Perfect !
https://www.hornetplugins.com
Another mention for Voxengo, they do great plug-ins, you can download and keep the serial number and download the VST's an unlimited number of times. The serial number is also stored on your account for you to view any time.
https://www.voxengo.com

JunSev wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm I have to say that there is a very legit and understandable reasons to know what sort of copy protection is used in different softwares..
.. this is an important topic and source of information.
I don't know if I should call it user-friendly, But I take a peaceful and relaxed breathing when I find companies with key file/serial based CP (without need to be tied to a machine that might fail or other very possible case), I love that and my investment will be there always.
Heartily agree! So which Companies would you buy Plug-ins from preferably ?

As far as the USB thing goes, USB drives are a good idea but they often fail. That ain't a problem but in Waves case I think you might be penalised because they should be transferred back to the 'Cloud' in order to be used again ? I may not be correct in this but it's what I heard.
I haven't heard this to be the case with Ilok so that shouldn't be a problem I hope ?!

JunSev wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:08 pm Some from what I know

HY-Plugins
https://hy-plugins.com/

Tone2
https://www.tone2.com/

Image Line
https://www.image-line.com/plugins/category/all/

Meldaproduction
https://www.meldaproduction.com/

Synthmaster
https://www.kv331audio.com/
Answered my question ! Great, thank you!

hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:14 pm
JunSev wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm I have to say that there is a very legit and understandable reasons to know what sort of copy protection is used in different softwares..
.. this is an important topic and source of information.
Heartily agree! So which Companies would you buy Plug-ins from preferably ?

As far as the USB thing goes, USB drives are a good idea but they often fail. That ain't a problem but in Waves case I think you might be penalised because they should be transferred back to the 'Cloud' in order to be used again ? I may not be correct in this but it's what I heard.
I haven't heard this to be the case with Ilok so that shouldn't be a problem I hope ?!
Wit ilok you lose the "activation" when you either lose or break an ilok key or you wipe your hard disk or you mainboard breaks with soft (computer) activated license. You have to contact each developer of whom you lost an activation.
Same goes for elicenser afaik.

The worst are developers which give only one activation like waves, exponential audio, most (?) from slate, metric halo, mcdsp, drms etc. I dont buy any of these, because even if you only need 1 activation, in the case of broken hw you are fckd, at least until you reached every developer for a new activation. I also try to avoid developers with custom challenge and response. And if I do buy, i make sure, they allow remote deactivation of a license through their web panel, in case I lose an activation.

Btw ilok cloud is the only solution which is temporarily activated and you dont lose it in case of hw error. BUT you have to be always online, or it won't work. Big no-go!

dermage wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 pm Wit ilok you lose the "activation" when you either lose or break an ilok key or you wipe your hard disk or you mainboard breaks with soft (computer) activated license. You have to contact each developer of whom you lost an activation.
Same goes for elicenser afaik.

The worst are developers which give only one activation like waves, exponential audio, most (?) from slate, metric halo, mcdsp, drms etc. I dont buy any of these, because even if you only need 1 activation, in the case of broken hw you are fckd, at least until you reached every developer for a new activation. I also try to avoid developers with custom challenge and response. And if I do buy, i make sure, they allow remote deactivation of a license through their web panel, in case I lose an activation.

Btw ilok cloud is the only solution which is temporarily activated and you dont lose it in case of hw error. BUT you have to be always online, or it won't work. Big no-go!
Painful ! very useful info, thanks

Tokyo Dawn Records (license file) https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/
Sknote (Dll easy peasy) https://www.sknoteaudio.com/SKnote_shop/
Kazrog (online activation or offline key import) https://kazrog.com/
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Alot of modern producers are laptop based so when a new more powerful one comes out its time to upgrade.

Having your plugins on a external drive that only requires you to copy and paste your serial is the best feeling ever period.

Good
Camel audio [after they went down my installer was corrupted i was able to just copy over the installed files and i was good to go]

Cakewalk [serial/Command Center] the command center was a good way to install all your stuff no serial no challenge response just your email and password is needed and you can select individual or all install super convenient.

Wusik [serial]

KV331 [serial/CR] this one gets iffy for me i can't copy the files over like i could with camel when moving to new laptops i have to still use their site instead of moving my keyfile over i might be wrong but i haven't seen anything on it.

Korg [CR] not as bad since its a huge company and i can move the files over to new laptops easily and activate

Native Instruments [serials/Service Center] Not gonna lie i love the service center thing but cakewalk did it better.

Bad
IK Multimedia [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]

Focusrite [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]

Novation [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]

i list more later when i have more time.

xenophobic wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 am
....Native Instruments [serials/Service Center] Not gonna lie i love the service center thing but cakewalk did it better.

Bad
IK Multimedia [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]
Focusrite [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]
Novation [limited activations you have to beg for your stuff its not mentioned that activation's are limited ]

i list more later when i have more time.
Thanks Xenophobic, really useful .

I too have had no problems ever with the NI log-in.

Yes, I don't get the 'limited activations' rule - what purpose does it possibly serve other than to piss off the buyer ? I can't see it , lol .

Anyway, plenty that don't use it to check out .

U-he always!

I am unsure about Mercuriall. It seems like I can have 5 activations after buying a plugin, which is not much; OTOH it's unlikely I run out of activations in 6-8 years, my systems are quite stable, and I hope in the meantime they'll come out with new plugins :)

Along these lines - IK Multimedia allows 10 activations :) And I never ran out of those either. I like Sampletank 3, I have 9 activations left since 2016, and I'll either abandon it or move to ST4 in the future before I would run out of activations.

I like the systems with their installers, like NI, Toontrack, XLN Audio, Plugin Alliance. However I have no experience in reinstalling a PA plugin, do you think there will be a surprise there?

And of course I like the easy-to-install and activate plugins, like Toneboosters, U-he, Klanghelm, TDR plugins, Sonimus...

I used to use iLok, but once I had an issue where I lost all my activations, and I had to request every one of them to release my current activations, that was a PITA; so I don't use it anymore. Good bye sweet Metric Halo, Soundtoys and other plugins...

Boone777 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:56 pm And suddenly all my Ilok plugins don't work for no apparent reason.
I've had the same problem a while ago. For me it was because I connected an USB bluetooth adapter to my computer, causing iLok to think it was another PC. After removing the bluetooth adapter all my licenses were available again. So I deactivated them, reconnected the bluetooth adapter and then activated my licenses again.
Problem solved :)

Bottom line: did you recently connect any new hardware to your PC? Especially anything network related like a wifi or bluetooth adapter. If so: disconnect, disable iLok licenses, reconnect and re-enable licenses to fix the problem.

JunSev wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm ... we should think about the years that follows (5, 10, 20...) and what might happen when the company might/will be not there anymore.
Good point.

Also I like to add: Life is too short to spend with installing,
challenging and working on "copy protection systems". All
the time you are in anger with "copy protection delusions"
and hopping mad, you could better create some new
fascinationg tracks.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Effects”