Unfiltered audio Triad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hell of a machine! I'm jealous.

One other question I forgot: VST3 or VST (and for people with Mac crashes... AU)?

thelizard wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm Hell of a machine! I'm jealous.

One other question I forgot: VST3 or VST (and for people with Mac crashes... AU)?
The machine is from 2013, still running very well. I'm mainly doing 3D graphics and rendering everything on the GPU with Redshift, so therefore the two fast graphics cards. And my main software, Houdini, is very very RAM hungry, 64 GB is considered something like a minimum, advanced users start at 128 and go from there.
Looking at something with more cores in the not so far future hopefully - some higher level Threadripper or 16 core Ryzen.

That was with the 1.0 VST3 (originally I had nothing else since the installer didn't work on this machine).

I'll take more care remembering things the next time it should happen. At the time I had probably stepped through half the presets so didn't think it too bad, especially in Bitwig where it's just a "reload plugin" press of a button.

Cheers and good hunting!

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I had a single crash in Cubase while changing presets. Nothing since...

1) Windows 10 x64 build 1809

2) Cubase 10.0.20

3) OpenGL on

4) Byome window open (honestly, not sure I'd ever need it closed - kinda defeats the purpose)

5) Cant' remember the preset location - sorry. I'm pretty sure I was just clicking "Next, Next, Next" to audition sounds. But whether it was the factory library and where or Byome presets, not sure.

6) 16GB

7) i7 4790k

8) Radeon R7 200 series

9) VST3

If I run across it again I'll try to be more mindful of what presets I was browsing between.

So, any1 have both triad and multipass? Does it compete? Can I get the Triad deal and then transfer Byome & keep triad?

mrj1nx wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm So, any1 have both triad and multipass? Does it compete? Can I get the Triad deal and then transfer Byome & keep triad?
i already used on a track that i made with someone, on a vocal sample (my ow voice) makes it strangely grained and a nice sweeping tail, spacy tail... already 'published'.

it does compete. i won't sell byome, triad is quite cpu hungry, but as i already mentioned, it is more cpu hungry when the plugin window is open... and byome has a different workflow, which i like. i see it as two plugins that complement eachother.

but you can transfer byome.

I had 3-4x crashes (GUI turns white, DAW freezes) and 4-5x UAD Apollo Twin output gets muted (see my post from June, 12).

1) MBP late 2013/ OSX 10.9.5

2) Bitwig 2.5 - vst

3) OpenGL on

4) BYOME panel open

5) TRIAD factory folder (when starting from the default, then mostly between 03 and 06)

6) 16GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR 3

7) 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

8) NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Someone on gearslutz repostet your link for the "Triad 1.0.1 Public Beta".
The presets changes seem to happen smoother soundwise with this one, but I can reproduce the crashing, although only when the preset skipping happens much faster (1sec per preset or less).

amwk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:58 am I had 3-4x crashes (GUI turns white, DAW freezes) and 4-5x UAD Apollo Twin output gets muted (see my post from June, 12).
How are you running your plugins in BWS? I never got a DAW freeze, but I'm running the sandboxing in either "Individually" or "By plug-in" mode so I can always just restart the offender if need should be.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Thank you for reminding me, Tom.

I am aware of this feature (tried it once shortly I think), but I tend to forget about it, because Bitwig says that chosing „Individually“ increases the CPU load.
But part of the forgetting is also that you can change the setting for each plugin individually, so I just did that with TRIAD.

But:
when making the fast-preset-change-test (with BYOME closed) it made no difference:
at some point the sound stops (although I can go on with changing presets) and there is no error message that just TRIAD crashed and so no possibilty to just to reload this plugin.
And when I try to close TRIAD the GUI turns white and I have to close Bitwig (sometimes cmd q works, sometimes I have to do it the hard way).

Try the "Individually" setting and restart Bitwig or re-open the project. I don't think it can change the mode for things that are already loaded. For me it works perfectly (as in: I can just reload the plugin, the DAW doesn't crash or white out ever from an unstable plugin).

As for the CPU load: try that yourself. If you have many cores, it can even be faster to have them individually sandboxed.
On my machine (6 cores), the difference isn't anything major and I prefer the individual sandboxing since I'm testing a lot of stuff - I rather have my projects save and continue running than 2% more performance I'll not even notice.

Since we now can truly deactivate devices/plugins/tracks with full unloading in 2.5, it's quite easy to free up CPU cycles anyway.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

my CPU-concerns on the hand on the one hand is a leftover from the time when Bitwigs CPU performance was rather bad, but on the other hand even now with the much better CPU performance and even with this truelly great deactivation-feature (which I use a lot) I sometimes run into CPU problems when working on more complex arrangements (20-30 tracks [with all VIs bounced] and hence quite a lot plugins).

Back to the topic:
I had my latop restarted after settining TRIAD to „Indiviually“ and before trying it again as described.

Question:
do you have only TRIAD set to „Individually“ or all your plugins (meaning „Individually“ as your default setting)?

the CPU load, as already mentioned, i use mainly cubase (next to ableton live 10 suite, reason 10, reaper and maschine), is big, but only when the plugin window is open. only tested in cubase, difference 15% (100% cpu clock, etc. i7 6700k @4.4).

WasteLand wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 ambut only when the plugin window is open.
This sounds like the same issue I have with all UA plugins that use OpenGL. When I turn on OpenGL it hammers the GPU and the CPU. Turning off OpenGL brings things back down to sane CPU levels.

For example, a single instance of Indent 2 with OpenGL turned off takes next to nothing, 1% or less CPU and no GPU. With OpenGL on and the window open it takes 12% CPU and 40% GPU. Closing the window brings it back down to non-OpenGL levels.

I've just been leaving OpenGL off. :shrug:

Dozius wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20 pm
WasteLand wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 ambut only when the plugin window is open.
This sounds like the same issue I have with all UA plugins that use OpenGL. When I turn on OpenGL it hammers the GPU and the CPU. Turning off OpenGL brings things back down to sane CPU levels.

For example, a single instance of Indent 2 with OpenGL turned off takes next to nothing, 1% or less CPU and no GPU. With OpenGL on and the window open it takes 12% CPU and 40% GPU. Closing the window brings it back down to non-OpenGL levels.

I've just been leaving OpenGL off. :shrug:
turning opengl does not seem to work, to get cpu load down, but perhaps i have to reload the plugin, i shall try. didn't check the gpu load (windows 7 does not have that native, but i have hwmonitor), i have a gtx 1060 6gb, i shall look in to that. optimazation of the gui seems important, but it is important, also for latency, and of course feedback...

thelizard wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:18 pm I'm investigating the preset-changing crashes as my #1 priority. I haven't been able to reproduce a full crash or lockup on either machine of mine (Windows or Mac), but I believe I've identified some potential memory leaks that could be the culprit. I'll include these fixes in the next builds, but it'll be back-and-forth until I feel confident confirming the crashes as "fixed".

For the people reporting crashes, can you provide the following?:
1) Operating System

2) DAW + version

3) Whether OpenGL is on or off

4) Whether the BYOME panel is open or closed

5) Which preset folder it was in when it crashed (if possible)

6) Amount of RAM on computer (if possible)

7) Processor model (if possible)

8 ) Graphics adapter or video card model (if possible)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Michael.

With TRIAD VST 3 (only TRIAD vst3) I have lots of Crash Dump.... and it's the same thing with your Beta WinTriad_2019.6.11.zip = Crash Dump
Laptop HP Win10 Home V1903 18362.175 64 Bit, CPU i7-4510U@ 2.60GHZ, Ram 4 GB.
Nvidea GeForce 820M or Intel(R) HD Graphics Family-integrated graphics...
2 Monitors: 1 HP Laptop, 2 ASUS VX238 HDMI (1920 x 1080)
My DAW is Presonus Studio One 4 Installer 4.5.1.52729, with Melodyne.4.2.2.004
Interface Boss GT-1 (or Line 6 UX1)
With or without OpenGL it's the same thing = Crash Dump .
BYOME panel is open or closed it's the same thing= Crash Dump .
Presets.... Delays: DLY- Filter Pong, others too....Factory Presets, Artists Oddiction GEN_SelfPattern-Odd.... 3-Band -Basic Compressor...
Without TRIAD VST3 everything works fine..... but Triad VST 2 works without sidechain.
I hope you fix the bug.
All the best
John Feitor

amwk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:55 am Hi Tom,

my CPU-concerns on the hand on the one hand is a leftover from the time when Bitwigs CPU performance was rather bad, but on the other hand even now with the much better CPU performance and even with this truelly great deactivation-feature (which I use a lot) I sometimes run into CPU problems when working on more complex arrangements (20-30 tracks [with all VIs bounced] and hence quite a lot plugins).

Back to the topic:
I had my latop restarted after settining TRIAD to „Indiviually“ and before trying it again as described.

Question:
do you have only TRIAD set to „Individually“ or all your plugins (meaning „Individually“ as your default setting)?
I use all my plugins in either "individual" or "per-plugin" mode (still testing what makes the most sense).
Check out if it makes a real CPU difference on your system (if you didn't already). Like I said, I read reports where people with many cores had actually better performance with the individual setting - always best to check it out on your own machine instead of "following the rules" ;-)

Whatever works best.

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Effects”