MTurboComp why so few reviews?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just played with the MTurboComp a bit. After getting used to the UI (that is really fast to use now), I think it sound really good. It's nice to switch between all the models quickly which really have instantly a different character.

Any long time experience with it and comparison against the hardware or other well established character compressors?

Actually I'm still deciding between this an Presswerk as my next purchase. Undecided.

I'd go with Melda for a lot of reasons. First of all the sound is incredible (I demoed it and it made me sick to my stomach I couldn't afford it), and many times it's in the 1/2 price sale so maybe someday I can afford it. Upgrades for life and use on as many computers as you own.
I registered the free collection and have three other Melda plugins registered.

Having said that, last year every Sunday at 8PM I copied down the Melda Eternal Madness list to better predict when the plugins I wanted would come up, and it seems MTurboComp comes up 1/2 price around once a month.
Good luck with your quest and I'm sure great sounding dynamics won't be an issue for you ever again after this.

I'm a sucker for compressors, and I have wholesale ignored this compressor, so I feel I owe an answer here.

While I haven't tried this at all, my ambivalence comes from a few factors, including:
1. I've heard opinions that the vintage emulations are not on point
2. I usually stay away from all Melda stuff just because I don't get along with the interface (in general)
3. the price is pretty unfriendly for a brand/product that needs to prove itself a bit more (like you said, where are the reviews?)
4. If you are going for vintage comps, why not go with a better aligned brand. For instance, I went with McDSP for vintage flavors. Also IK white and black. And for tunable versions of vintage flavors there's stuff like BX_opto that has the soul of something like an LA2A but with tweakable settings. I also really enjoy the tweakable comps in Scheps Omni and I have a bunch of Waves plugins, etc.
5. If you want a clean and feature-rich compressor there are plenty of good options like Kotelnikov and TB BusComp.

Everything I mentioned can/could be had on sale for less than I've seen MTurboComp go on sale. So MTurboComp never entered my mind as a real contender. And I still have a wishlist with MJUC, Presswerk, Kotelnikov GE, etc.

Like you mentioned, if this product is good, it wouldn't hurt at all if Melda reached out to some reviewers to get the word going.

GUI/workflow so bad that the mere thought of demoing a Melda plugin gives me a claustrophobic fit.

MTurboComp = £175

MJUC = £21
DC8C = £20
DMG TrackComp = £74.99
Kotelnikov = free

Simple as that for me.

MTurboComp and MTurboComp LE review here:

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-mturbo ... roduction/

I like the general idea of all of his "turbo" models...

My biggest problem with them is, that the final GUI is put toghether with multiparameters controlling different tragets at once...
As a result the values are only displayed as percentage...

What is an attack setting of 13%??? 13% of what???
Threshold 35%???

Perhaps I am to simple minded but I want to have milliseconds for my Attack and Release and db´s for my Threshold

FabFilter Pro-C2 as surgical comp, Presswerk as one who can add character. MTurboComp sounds too clean to me (of course it is not an emulation). And I agree. Due to the all-in-one approach in turbo there has to be some side-effects like unusual controls or you pay (cpu wise) for features even if they're unused. You may also miss certain special features from comps, because they couldn't be unified to fit with the turbo approach.

Examigan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:47 pm MTurboComp and MTurboComp LE review here:

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-mturbo ... roduction/
The interview with Vojtech (which can be found on that site) is quite interesting. Imho it's a true and straight one as it covers almost all impressions - good and bad - I got during the years. Even the pic fits.

On top of that I had a serious laugh when reading about "the psychopath from Chicago". :D

_____
Disclaimer: I'm not involved in this fight, just noticing a remarkable detail.

Melda's stuff is amazing and there was a compressor shootout on here between hardware where MTuroboComp came the cloest by a landslide. The unique thing about Meldas compressors is how you're able to change the curves of the attack, threshold, and release. Also MTurboComp LE can be usually had for $50 on sale often.

Trancit wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm I like the general idea of all of his "turbo" models...

My biggest problem with them is, that the final GUI is put toghether with multiparameters controlling different tragets at once...

Threshold 35%???

Perhaps I am to simple minded but I want to have milliseconds for my Attack and Release and db´s for my Threshold
I don't find the % really stoping me from turning the knobs. It's all about sound in the end. Various comps will give you various results at 20ms in the end you use your hears. If you want squash it's all the way to the left if you want punch you already know from using various comps attack is gonna be somewhere between 15-50 % . Who knows in advance what is best setting in ms ?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I cannot explain... it just feels wrong for me...
Of course at the very end you dial it in by ear, but nevertheless I have some standard settings I dial mostly in and which work fine for me and translating them into turbocomp needs to identify each multiparameter´s targets and figure out those settings...

Perhaps I am just too used to that... but it stops me using the turbo plugins...

I own MComplete and am disatisfied with MTurboComp. It seems like the varying compressors in MTurboComp don't really "compress" the sound. I tried lots of other compressors that are out there in demo's and have to say that although I like u-He software Presswerk doesn't do much DMG Audio Compressor doesn't Fab Compressor doesn't and so on. It's strange.

Two great compressors are Melda Modern Compressor for it's psychoacoustic and hard compression fidelity wise and usefulness wise and also Lindell Audio's 245E is wonderful for it's heavy compression/limiting powers that are very noticable and it's nice vintage character.

Trancit wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm I like the general idea of all of his "turbo" models...

Threshold 35%???

You actually hit on the answer. A single Multiparameter can control several target parameters, each with a different range, transformation shape etc. So selecting a single value to represent all of the targets will generally be problematic.

But, something like this might help:

(a modified DBMeld 160 Device)
Please have a look at: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=520336
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “Effects”