Do you heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins in your DAW(s) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm Vienna Ensemble is a plugin hosting rack from Vienna Instruments (ginormous orchestral libraries), and it's often used to host samples on a secondary machine. I'm neither a fan nor do i see how is it necessary on modern machines, but hey.
Well for one it provides multiple MIDI ports, so while you're in a regular host you have the 1-16 channels and you're done, in a VST3 (or the tortuous workaround in a version of the plugin created for Logic "Event Input" {supposed to be addressed since the AU3 protocol came out}) VE Pro instance we enjoy up to 48 Ports. In case you aren't following, this is 48 x 16 channels. I only tell it I want 16 ports. It's useful.

I use it for 98-99% of plugins, for numerous meaningful reasons: first of all it is a separate process than the DAW, so it's 1) more stable; 2) a better use of resources in terms of multicore distro; 3) the save and load times are not tied to the DAW so it saves time (also ties in with stability) as a preserved and decoupled frame.
THEN, all the plugins automation is in a single map so setting up automation at the DAW end is simplified. 4 instances is 4 instrument channels with parameters, vs dozens, and then there's FX channels. All in one map for the instance.
So, it opened mixing up for me, detailed extensive automation being key.

The 'non'-pro version only hosted VSL libraries and then some Apple stuff which came with the AU development package, I don't know how it evolved, I embraced Pro around a decade ago.

Maybe better to stick to discussing things you know about.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

I use FL Studio, and although I have plenty of other equalizers, I really struggle to use anything other than Parametric EQ 2. It's just too easy. FL has heaps of good effects though, I use FL Limiter for all my gating, and quite often use FL delay bank, and now I use the new Delay 3 a fair bit.

jancivil wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 am
Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm Vienna Ensemble is a plugin hosting rack from Vienna Instruments (ginormous orchestral libraries), and it's often used to host samples on a secondary machine. I'm neither a fan nor do i see how is it necessary on modern machines, but hey.
Well for one it provides multiple MIDI ports, so while you're in a regular host you have the 1-16 channels and you're done, in a VST3 (or the tortuous workaround in a version of the plugin created for Logic "Event Input" {supposed to be addressed since the AU3 protocol came out}) VE Pro instance we enjoy up to 48 Ports. In case you aren't following, this is 48 x 16 channels. I only tell it I want 16 ports. It's useful.

I use it for 98-99% of plugins, for numerous meaningful reasons: first of all it is a separate process than the DAW, so it's 1) more stable; 2) a better use of resources in terms of multicore distro; 3) the save and load times are not tied to the DAW so it saves time (also ties in with stability) as a preserved and decoupled frame.
THEN, all the plugins automation is in a single map so setting up automation at the DAW end is simplified. 4 instances is 4 instrument channels with parameters, vs dozens, and then there's FX channels. All in one map for the instance.
So, it opened mixing up for me, detailed extensive automation being key.

The 'non'-pro version only hosted VSL libraries and then some Apple stuff which came with the AU development package, I don't know how it evolved, I embraced Pro around a decade ago.

Maybe better to stick to discussing things you know about.
No need to be so snarky.
In Logic you have 16 midi channels per instrument track (so a single kontakt instance per instrument track gives you 16), which is 256*16.
I don't need nor want more than 16 patches per single plugin instance..
1) I don't crave for more stability in Logic, in that department it's doing pretty good.
2) Multicore distribution is fine when i use more instances over instruments tracks
3) that's useful when doing templates and have a single plugin setup for multiple projects, which is useful in context of giant orchestral template, an approach i'm not fond of.
4) I can remap that in logic via macros and environment
I can use a single instrument track, breakout outputs for every patch if i want to or have them all play through a common bus. I can route multiple software instruments track to a track stack and control them via single midi which has channels assigned automatically, and i can use all the common parameters via master midi regions.

One big point is, i can do all that for free, not 285€

I know what i'm talking about, that's why I explicitly stated that i am not a fan nor find a use for it on a contemporary computer where spreading resources over multiple machines is not necessary for audio any longer (Which is where VSL excels at).

edit:
i do like this:
https://www.vsl.co.at/images/VE_PRO_6_M ... 0x1135.jpg
WIVI (that i sold) had that itb
you can do simlar with https://www.parallax-audio.com tho but cost 3x less than MIR.

If it's locked into the DAW so it can't be used in another DAW, then I avoid them completely.

Hmm... I use Ableton and Reaper mostly. Started doing stuff in Studio One.
Only in Ableton do I heavily use the stock FX.

i have removed all of the stock plugins from Cubase, I only use 3rd party synths and effects, except Padshop Pro

Cinebient wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 am Yes beside a few for reverb and delay i use Logic stock tools (including also synths and midi FX) since they are good (and even better for me in some cases) as third party products which costs almost as much as the whole DAW.
So far the only third party FX i use is Replika XT for delay and most of the 2CAudio tools.
For everything else i feel covered within Logic.
But i would pay extra for P900 as FX version (which of course will never happen).
The thing is also that for sometimes a really minor quality improvement (or just on par with a better workflow or GUI) third party tools need a lot more cpu.
6 years later... We are developing the Analog Delay, Plate Reverb and Output modules as an Effect plugin :) should be ready in a month.
https://www.pulsarmodular.com/
Pulsar Modular
The Sound is... UNBELIEVABLE!

On FL-Studio i love Fruity Bloody Overdrive. I use the EQ2, too. Love Vocodex for exciting, and maximus for the master.
ReaComp is my main Comp. I've most experience with that and love the precomp function.
In Reaper i use the ReaPlugs for the most and the JSFX (Maximizer, Exciter, Limiter...)
For fine tuning, analog sound, chorus, amp etc. I use plugins.

I spent hundreds of € on delays and reverbs only to notice that 99% of the time, I use stock plugins..

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am I spent hundreds of € on delays and reverbs only to notice that 99% of the time, I use stock plugins..
:o

Especially with reverbs and delays, I frequently notice that the stock plugins aren't really competetive to what's available out there. Reverbs are complete hopeless, and, for delays, there's definitely better stuff than the stock stuff in the DAW's I tried.

I doubt that I'd need a third party compressor or limiter though.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am I spent hundreds of € on delays and reverbs only to notice that 99% of the time, I use stock plugins..
:o

Especially with reverbs and delays, I frequently notice that the stock plugins aren't really competetive to what's available out there. Reverbs are complete hopeless, and, for delays, there's definitely better stuff than the stock stuff in the DAW's I tried.

I doubt that I'd need a third party compressor or limiter though.
Tbh.. Only third party fx I need is something that stock doesn't offer like Tantra or Glitch2 etc :P

But basic stuff like forementioned delays, reverbs, compressors, limiters... Of course there are flavors like I can immediately name a chorus that is more lush than the one in stock devices, but I'm not sure if that is worth spending money.

If it works for you, it works. :)

Had another example here yesterday though... I booted up NI Phasis, to try it again. Can't work with it really. It just doesn't give me the sound I need from a phaser. I used to be very positive about it, when it was released as a freebie, but, frankly, in reality, it didn't get much use here. The sound doesn't work for me, as simple as that.

I'm happy with stock effects in Logic Pro but for synths and samplers it's a different story ;)

From stock logic plugs i regularly use Alchemy, compressor, vintage eq, chromaverb, space designer, gain, tremolo.
Phaser is meh.
Phatfx is nice but i’d rather it was also available as separate modules so i rarely use it.
ES2 is nice but interface is so dated.
Retrosynth is decent but i have u-he, so...

Return to “Effects”