Do you heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins in your DAW(s) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

During the past 12 months or so, those talk of the town DAWs have their major release and some of them has some enhancements on the eFX/mix sections. I am sure most of us have more than 1 DAW in their computer and for me, I mainly use Cubase 9.5 and Live 10 for making dance tunes though I upgrade to Reason 10 and FLS 20 recently. However, I just wondering if anyone here heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins rather than 3rd party's plugins ?

To me, I love to use the stock plugins of Live 10. Love the compressor, filters and even the echo / delay stuff. But for Cubase 9.5, I only use its EQ and channel strip (Comp, SAT & Limit). The channel strip is and EQ are pretty handy comparing to Live 10 which has no such "preset or default setting" to start with. How about you guys? Any DAWs that you are using that you use the stock plugins often ? I always have a feeling that Bitwig like Live 10 has cool eFX/Mix plugins as well. But I don't have it.

Regards!
Cowby

Reason and Bitwig, yes I do use stock FX. Only FX that are not stock devices are something that can't either be found from stock devices, or are done better by some third party.

Everything I need is in Logic, so yes.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

In Cubase, I sometimes used the Chorus, Phaser, or Delay effect, but, in Studio One, I don't use any of those. 3rd party effects are simply better, same goes for VSTi included effects. Call me a snob, but, I'm really going for the best sound whether in instruments, or effects. ;)

I'm using DAW included EQ or Compressors though. I don't feel like those are THAT critical, when it comes to sound character.

In general I seldom reach for the stock plugins because I usually have something that does a better job.

Tracktion/Waveform I don't use any of the stock plugins. They are not great.

S1 some are good, others I avoid.

Absolutely never. I'm a Cubase user.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

In energyXT, almost never, in Tracktion, sometimes, in fl studio, quite often
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For all the plugins I've bought over the years, I find myself using Live's onboard fx a lot more lately. Although i tend to treat them in the same manner as the built-in effects on instrument plugins, for immediacy rather than quality.

Yes, I use the built in EQs and Dynamics processors in Bitwig on almost every track. If I want a specific character, I will add a third-party plug-in to that chain or bounce the audio though some of my outboard gear.
These days, I'm a lot more subtle with my post processing than I used to be.

mutantdog wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm For all the plugins I've bought over the years, I find myself using Live's onboard fx a lot more lately. Although i tend to treat them in the same manner as the built-in effects on instrument plugins, for immediacy rather than quality.
Yeah, i think that's a good point. Actually, i love that the built in EQ in Studio One also shows a graphical spectrum display in the track in the mix view, that's a great bonus of the DAW included fx. :)

But, really, the delay for example is just utter shit, so i would never use it... no idea why some delays just take the whole power out of a sound, and mix it with a pale copy, which doesn't sound like the dry signal at all.

I don't use them at all. Cubase/Nuendo. 95% of compressor/EQ etc I do is in VSL Vienna Suite.

I prefer to go with third party analog modeled plugins, better if free/magazine-ware high quality stuff.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

Yes beside a few for reverb and delay i use Logic stock tools (including also synths and midi FX) since they are good (and even better for me in some cases) as third party products which costs almost as much as the whole DAW.
So far the only third party FX i use is Replika XT for delay and most of the 2CAudio tools.
For everything else i feel covered within Logic.
But i would pay extra for P900 as FX version (which of course will never happen).
The thing is also that for sometimes a really minor quality improvement (or just on par with a better workflow or GUI) third party tools need a lot more cpu.

Logic:
Vintage EQs (I don't care for the Channel EQ anymore, but I used to use it extensively)
Compressor (Pretty much this + Presswerk)
Reverbs (Space Designer is my only convolution, and Chromaverb complements 2C Audio plugs nicely)
Tape Delay (Will probably be used less since I got ColourCopy.)
Ensemble (stereo choruslike processor)
Bass Amp Designer (I love it)
Gain, Direction Mixer, and some other utility plugs.

Return to “Effects”