Your opinion on the best Compressor (Klanghelm DC8C, Pro-C, Ozone8, H-Comp) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's one that i tried, It was by klevgrand. I tried it on a free demo. It was the colour of dreams for Me. I highly recommend it. I make My own vstfx's and would love to have colour like this one.
https://klevgrand.se/products/pressit

jens wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:42 pm H2O is the best compresssor:

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downl ... tware/H2O/
Hahaha I don't know if you're joking but I love that compressor

You already have the best compressor in your daw, just learn it inside out and stop chasing the carrot.

Plumbus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am You already have the best compressor in your daw, just learn it inside out and stop chasing the carrot.
I felt the same way until I saw Reacomp featured in Dan Worrall's videos "What's Wrong With Stock Plugins?". Those vids are a great resource for anyone trying to better understand compressors.

I'm sure it's already been asked...but there are different compressors for different audio issues. What's the source we're talking about?
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

In general, I class compressors in to three categories:

1: Surgical - for leveling and taming peaks in the program material.
2: Colouration - for 'slamming', adding a bit of 'weight' for parallel compression, even tonal variation (boosting the highs or lows).
3: Frequency dependent - De-essing, Dynamic EQ type stuff, boosting or attenuating specific frequency ranges for, say, either extra clarity or 'de-harshing' a signal, respectively.

And combinations there of.

For Surgical stuff, the best (meaning quickest and easiest) compressor I have found is the one included in the Toneboosters Track Essentials bundle. It has visual feedback and you just turn one knob to level where the peak is hitting and adjust everything else to taste. Usually takes about 20 seconds when you know what you are doing to chop off any nasty volume spikes, or bring up some stuff that is otherwise low in the mix. Great for a wide variety of program material on a track.

For Colouration stuff, knock yourself out. Too many to choose from to say. It's good to have a few different comps in your box and not take too long and fight too hard with the signal. If it's not working within 5 minutes for you, it's probably a good idea to load up something else. I like Voxengo stuff in this department, along with a hundred others. One I do like is the Native Instruments Solid Bus comp, if you're after that type of 'slamming'.

For Frequency Dependent stuff, the line blurs between a Dynamic EQ and a multiband comp. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself if you haven't got your head around it already. But sometimes you do want to compress a specific frequency range, and that range only. As in reducing sibilance or harshness in a synth track. SQ8L for example is a great sounding VST, but is prone to be a bit harsh around the upper-mids sometimes on some patches, so I'll plug in something like TB Flx, use the analyser to hone in on the problem spot, level it, then adjust to taste how much I want it reduced, depending on the patch. TDR Nova EQ is also superb for this.

Sure, both those examples are Dynamic EQs but they still compress a specific frequency spot. A multiband compressor in this instance would be a much more blunt tool. But sometimes that is what you want, say if you have an old badly mixed render that you can't go back to source for, and you just want to tame the bass end or bring up the highs. Lots of good compressors for that. Again, I like Voxengo, but really, I could name a dozen others that do the job as well (depending on program material).

If you want to compress a bus or some stems in a mix, then something like Toneboosters BusCompressor is also excellent and somewhat under-rated. It comes in the BusTools 3 bundle. It's nice and transparent for surgical stuff, but can add a bit of weight if that is what you want as well.

So overall, if I was to advise a noob starting out on a budget (or even just starting out with loads of cash), I would say get the Track Essentials and BusTools bundles from Toneboosters. That would set you back about 70 quid - the price you would pay for a single compressor from some companies. And you would get all the mixing tools you would ever need in your life to do a professional mix job on just about anything.

You'd get the exceptional track compressor. The exceptional bus compressor. The amazing dynamic eq. The specific plug in for sibilance (very good as well btw). All doing compression duties in just about all the problem domains you will come across.

From there, when you get a handle on that, have a look at some of Voxengo's stuff (Marquis, Deft, Crunchessor).

I have Klanghelm DC8C and I find it takes me a while to dial it in. MJUC is a lot quicker. I don't have the fabfilter one (I demo'd it and it sounded too 'clean') and I can't justify the expense with all the comps I already have. I don't have any Waves 'endorsed by' comps, though I do have the exceptional C1 which is great for expansion and gating along with its compression.

Really though, there isn't anything that couldn't be done with those few Voxengo Comps and the Toneboosters bundles. And I'll throw in Barricade 4 to the mix as well as that is also a great compressor as well as limiter.

I really don't think you can get better bang for your buck and better quality tools than Toneboosters though.

The best?

Maybe.

I'm a big fan of Klanghelm DC8C3. Mostly because I feel that the better I learn it, the closer I can get to creating any style of compression in it.

Anyone else still use Oldtimer? I love that plugin, though I do reach for MJUC first for smooth/colorful compression.

spoontechnique wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:15 am I'm a big fan of Klanghelm DC8C3. Mostly because I feel that the better I learn it, the closer I can get to creating any style of compression in it.
Same here. I don't use compression very much,a very small amount here and there. I own and use just 2. ReComp and DC8C3. DC8C3 is so versatile it's like having a whole bag of compressors. With it's gorgeous saturation on board,clipping and limiting, I've never felt the need to purchase/use any other. After reading the manual a few times for expert mode,it's actually helped me learn a lot about compression.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

For most duties I just default to WaveArts' TrackPlug. I've got MJUC for the character shit.

I do also have DC83 and would love to one day learn how to use the more advanced side of things. However, I just prefer channel strips over having multiple windows to deal with, so I never end up using it :shrug:

I am getting my husband Klanghelm MJUC for Father’s Day. It sounds really good!
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:31 pm I am getting my husband Klanghelm MJUC for Father’s Day. It sounds really good!
Great job :tu:

Plumbus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am You already have the best compressor in your daw, just learn it inside out and stop chasing the carrot.
Sadly they are not. I haven't tried all DAWs but S1, Waveform and Reaper don't have great compressors. Reacomp is simply not a good-sounding compressor. Compare against an 1176 or an LA2A. Hear what the compressors are doing to the character of the performance. Reacomp is not even in the same ballpark. Not worth using at all when you could be using a better comp. And I'm not saying that to put down Reacomp, I used it as an example because in comparison it is one of the best stock compressors.

Even S1 Fat Channel trying to provide a version of 1176 and LA2A. When you compare those to the better 1176 and LA2A plugins, the ones that comes stock with S1 always rate bottom.

Don't take my word for it. Test out your material against good compressors and really listen. You'll stop using the stock comps.

Vertion wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:31 pm I am getting my husband Klanghelm MJUC for Father’s Day. It sounds really good!
Where in the world do they make wives like you, and do you have a sister?

I'm gonna throw IK Media's Dyna Mu into the ring as one of the absolute best sounding compressors I've heard yet. Got it with the krazy T Racks sale last week and it instantly became my go-to master bus comp for glue. It's both snappy and creamy at the same time because of the way the attack and release function. It's designed for glue but it will swallow transients whole if you let it.

Return to “Effects”