McDSP 6050 – Comps, EQ and Saturation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got this on sale at PB. Waiting to complete the install/activation. Would like to hear some opinions.

I’ve been using Scheps Omni a lot, but the more I learn to use those compressors the more I realize they are meant to be clean with little color. That’s great as a track tool, but plenty of times I add another compressor after for some extra weight.

Enter the 6050 comps. They are pseudo hardware emulations, all colorful in their own way. Plus there are 10 compressors in the kit.

I also have a goal this year to get much better at EQ. I want to hear it more organically and apply them in more detail. I find the 6050 EQs a bit puzzling, because on the face of it they look nearly identical, so they are all about the small differences in the application. I think this is a great platform for me to focus on sound more instead of what the knobs are telling me.

6050 comes with 3 saturation/drive models, from gentle harmonic saturation, to heavy-handed distortion. I’ve been using the Omni saturator a lot, so I’m looking forward to playing around with more options to fatten a track.

Finally (and not that I’m looking to replace the gate/expander on the Omni), the 6050 comes with some expanders, often overlooked but quite critical in the home studio environment.

Goes without saying that many of these modules were developed 10+ years ago. Does that make them old? Most that use them will say they sound great regardless of when they were made. But it does mean they are very CPU efficient by today's standards.

I primarily use the McDSP 6050 as the channel strip (expansion/gate, compressor, equalizer) for several songwriting/pre-production DAW templates. My default setup is [1] iX, [2] Over EZ and [3] British E, but the configuration is adjusted as necessary. Later down the production pipeline, I swap out the McDSP 6050 for other VST options, but the aforementioned decision is more based on preference than an actual need.

The said VST is my most used McDSP plugin, but as a Windows-user, the omitted side-chain functionality is sorely missed. In addition, I wish there were 5 slots available and a de-esser module. A de-esser work-around would be available if the side-chain functionality worked in Windows.

As a side note, the McDSP 6034 Ultimate Multi-Band is also a good compliment to the 6050 Ultimate Channel Strip. If you enjoy using the McDSP 6050, I would definitely consider it.

Here's what I think of the McDSP's UCS as a Windows user:

The good:
Sorry to begin with the digression, but I remember as if it was yesterday how Steven Slate (presumably trying to navigate around new Avid licensing system) was presenting the release of VMR; and he was saying that buying into VMR we can expect multitude of new, INEXPENSIVE (I remember the word most clearly) modules coming for the VMR in foreseeable future...
So for the fraction of a price of one VMR module (talking of UCS sale price) you're getting everything and the modules are quite useful, each with it's own "sound". Yes there are only three slots available in the rack, but at least you don't have to load a module to change in/output gain.

My gripes:
It feels like Windows users really get the short end of the stick: outdated installers, flickering menus (not in the UCS, but in Futzbox and EC300), also I wasn't able to get demo code from them after a few dozens attempts. There are also other less important issue like preset files placement.

My biggest gripe with UCS is that although you're supposed to be able to swap modules while keeping its settings, the knob positions are preserved instead: for example, you boost bass on one EQ and get HP at that frequency on another. For me personally it makes this function more of a hindrance.

Also A/B comparison system would be very much appreciated.

Having said all that, I'm happy with purchasing McDSP plugins (even without a demo).

McDSP plugins don’t require a demo code... FYI

I primarily use their stuff do to efficiency, very little can touch them in regard to latency and cpu hits, seriously. They also sound excellent, imho. I have most of their stuff on windows. Incidentally, no menu or other display problems here.

I bought the compressor, don't really use it. Stability was sliiiiiightly wonky on my system, and AGC might have been GREAT as mentioned between modules. Can't say for EQ, but with compressors it would have been nice if you set gain,swap and hear differences - but they put the gain control IN THE MIDDLE CONSOLE so you have to use threshold/ratio as gain between modules.

I'd prefer if EACH module had it's own gain control for a much simpler way of checking how they all behave under similar settings; as opposed to similar final output. Without AGC it kind of hinders the exploratory side of things... methinks.

It's really great to own, all the same, because this was the vehicle by which helped me learn gain staging proper AND quite seriously exposes the different flavors of compression. I think of it as an awesome (exPENsive - when I bought it) learning tool more than something I might actually turn to.

RE: Gain knob
For the 6050 I believe they added a gain to each compressor, I think in response to your points about the 6030 compressor series. But I feel the 6050 could still use a dry/wet mix knob, and a HP filter for the compressor trigger. Simple things that improve the flexibility a lot.

RE: 6034 multiband compressor
I saw that but I'm considering using a band splitter instead, then dropping a 6050 on each band. I haven't tested this yet. I'm sure there are better plugins, but I have the Tracktion DAW Essentials bundle and it comes with a band splitter (Crossover) that I haven't tried, which should allow me to do the multiband trick with the 6050. I'll put this on my todo list.

I'll report on how the 6050 does on my Windows PC. I would be very disappointed to find the sidechain doesn't work. Nothing in the sales process nor product descriptions indicated that would be the case. I saw some people raise the issue in forums but I thought that would have been fixed by now.

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:17 pm McDSP plugins don’t require a demo code... FYI
You know, you're right. I was put of by the "Get Demo" button on their site that leads to one monster of a form, that I filled more times than I'm willing to admit, waiting for an email with a code. Guess reading fine print helps sometimes:

"After submitting this form, you’ll be directed to our downloads page from which you can download and install any of our plug-ins. Once installed, any McDSP plug-in will automatically start a demo of itself on any iLok from the account specified on this form. Demos will operate for 14 days from first use."

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:17 pm I primarily use their stuff do to efficiency, very little can touch them in regard to latency and cpu hits, seriously. They also sound excellent, imho. I have most of their stuff on windows. Incidentally, no menu or other display problems here.
Are you telling me, that if you open that menu above the photo in the FutzBox plugin and chose something it will work EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:40 am
pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:17 pm I primarily use their stuff do to efficiency, very little can touch them in regard to latency and cpu hits, seriously. They also sound excellent, imho. I have most of their stuff on windows. Incidentally, no menu or other display problems here.
Are you telling me, that if you open that menu above the photo in the FutzBox plugin and select something, it will work EVERY SINGLE TIME?

@Scarlet P,

Yup... although I only use the VST 2.4 versions. I have a thread here somewhere with all the translated presets for those who need them.

Thank you for the answer. What DAW software are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Download page for the plugins:
https://www.mcdsp.com/downloads/

I think it's the same version as my paid one. When you start the DAW it flashes a license screen to ask for a serial or let you try it in demo mode. I think you need iLok to activate the demo.

BTW, 8min clip explaining the compressor flavors, and dropping a full serving of personality at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KPCooShTQ

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am Thank you for the answer. What DAW software are you using, if you don't mind me asking?
Various actually, mostly use them in Ableton Live 10, but I own most of the popular DAWs on windows, and it’s the same all around. The VST 3 versions are problematic for me in some. Graphical glitches like you describe. Which is why I don’t use VST 3.

Unfortunately for me with Reaper the issue persists even with VST 2.4.

i demoed it, but sometimes i got the big clunky noise on my system (win7, sonar x64).
So i passed it. Otherwise, i would get it.

Return to “Effects”