Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bharris22 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:04 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 am Is there a midi plugin that morphs midi files in interesting and musical ways?
Perhaps finds the chords of two or more midi files and combines them not necessarily in real time.
Kind of an audio slicer?
I would love something like this.
I wrote software to do this but only as scripts in something that doesn't translate to other people. Is really easy and I am suprised more interesting midi stuff isnt'available eg take the melody of a piece and generate variations of that melody just using the notes of the original and keeping timing the same (or not), or take the chords of one piece and fit them to the rhythm of another. I was hoping Architect would be a platform for this sort of thing but I doubt it will ever be finished to the point where I could be bothered using it. I wish the resale on Architect wasn't NFR, effectively making it unsaleable, otherwise I would probably sell it - al;though the sunk cost of it is so high now I might as well keep it on the off chance it becomes useful.

That Dream Machine IS an EZKeys instrument; a great deal! Of course you can use any plugin instead for different sounds and controls, but this will get you in the game, for sure (the clue is in the list price:) Plus, you can see all the MIDI controls I described in the product image. From the description, it also seems likely to sound really nice, with lots of different sounds and controls.

^^^
Good to know that I can use any of my VST plugins rather than the built-in RHODES MARK 7 and such.

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 am
bharris22 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:04 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 am Is there a midi plugin that morphs midi files in interesting and musical ways?
Perhaps finds the chords of two or more midi files and combines them not necessarily in real time.
Kind of an audio slicer?
I would love something like this.
I wrote software to do this but only as scripts in something that doesn't translate to other people. Is really easy and I am suprised more interesting midi stuff isnt'available eg take the melody of a piece and generate variations of that melody just using the notes of the original and keeping timing the same (or not), or take the chords of one piece and fit them to the rhythm of another. I was hoping Architect would be a platform for this sort of thing but I doubt it will ever be finished to the point where I could be bothered using it. I wish the resale on Architect wasn't NFR, effectively making it unsaleable, otherwise I would probably sell it - al;though the sunk cost of it is so high now I might as well keep it on the off chance it becomes useful.
Interesting ideas for midi plugins. Innovation in midi controllers, chord progression and such is happening for the iPad.

My hopes and expectations for Architect are perhaps too high?
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 am
My hopes and expectations for Architect are perhaps too high?
Architect really suffered from a huge feature creep that blew out an interesting possibility into something that still is not finished - I think it is over 5 years since it started. Even now when the beta released Colin has not even remotely got close to things he said would be ready very very soon. I just think it is too big for him to handle and he seems incapable of releasing a library of useful user modules which, as far as I can tell, have been available ot him for years
Which is not to say it wont be amazing if it ever does come out in a finished form as all the discussion indicated - but I totally regret buying it. I should have waited until it was complete with all promised functions - even if that cost more.

Quote from the KVR Zenith thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=535253
David wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:46 am I'm sort of a MIDI FX extremist, and Zenith's currently the most interesting thing I'm seeing in that realm.

It's because I already have so many other MIDI FX, and love many of them, that I'm mainly concerned about the synergies possible amongst them, rather than simply in what Zenith can do by itself.

https://www.audiaire.com/zenith

Now that David said "Zenith's currently the most interesting thing" will get me motivated to check it out.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:38 am Quote from the KVR Zenith thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=535253
David wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:46 am I'm sort of a MIDI FX extremist, and Zenith's currently the most interesting thing I'm seeing in that realm.

It's because I already have so many other MIDI FX, and love many of them, that I'm mainly concerned about the synergies possible amongst them, rather than simply in what Zenith can do by itself.

https://www.audiaire.com/zenith

Now that David said "Zenith's currently the most interesting thing" will get me motivated to check it out.
Well, yes, but it's still more the POTENTIAL of Zenith that has me interested than its current feature set, as you also read there:
Just had a fiddle with the demo in Logic and am very impressed…with the potential here. I hadn't realized how strong the MIDI sequencing features were in addition to the CC stuff, and was delighted to see that you can, with some effort, actually assign outside modulators to the mod knobs in Zenith, and not just the sequencer lanes, LFOs, and Envelopes inside Zenith.

SO far, though, this ability is NOT supported by a MIDI Learn function, which is weird, but I guess the assumption is that Host Automation is what most users might want to do with these knobs if not internally modulating them, and it's only because automation is enabled for them that e.g., the Modulator MIDI FX in Logic can be assigned to them. To add modulation from some other MIDI FX, I had to use the Modifer MIDI FX in Logic, which can also target Zenith's knobs AND will pass MIDI messages coming into it on to Zenith. So, I'm assuming that any similar functionality in other DAWs will work similarly…and that ALL DAWs and users will greatly benefit from MIDI Learn being added to Zenith's controls to eliminate the need for such workarounds—I certainly hope so!!

Unfortunately, even with a year's worth of development, Audiaire didn't think, or see fit, to add MIDI THRU, either, which is a total shame, also I hope soon rectified.

I'd assumed at first that this was built in to the various Seq modes, but no…
The only way I can get another MIDI FX above Zenith in the Logic MIDI FX rack (or anywhere else where you can stack up MIDI FX) to send CC data to the instrument is to turn Zenith completely OFF. Why doesn't, for example, a setting of NOTE in Z's Seq Settings allow Parameter mods from another FX above it to pass thru!? Or a setting of PARAM allow MIDI note data from other arps and sequencers to come through while Zenith does it's CC magic?? Until this is fixed, Zenith isn't playing well with others and it isn't much use to me.

Once these two things are added, tho, I'd have no hesitation is considering Zenith a fabulous new tool, basically a Grand Central switching station for building and saving really robust MIDI modulation networks, something I've been trying to accomplish with big collections of MIDI FX parts and tools for a LONG time. I REALLY hope Zenith and Audiaire fully rise to the challenge by acknowledging that there are other modulation tools already out there that do equally if not even more fascinating things, and the Zenith COULD be the one that Rules them All.

Come ON, Audiaire, you're SO close—just a LITTLE more work and you're THERE!!
Besides all that, maybe the best thing—IMO, of course!—I can say about Zenith right now, as it's currently configured, is that it's a better note-sequence randomizer and scale/key quantizer, AND MIDI CC randomizer deal than MIDI Madness, which is certainly cool and very simple to operate, but, I think, STILL way too expensive at only 20% off!

David wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 am Neat looking new MIDI FX: [Zenith]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=535253&p=7585632#p7585632

Note that Melda will very soon also be announcing a MIDI CC modulating device, which will be simpler looking, less money, and less bells and whistles, but I bet quite equally powerful.

Still, this looks really intriguing!
Decisions to make by Zenith's -30% sale ending 12-2-19?
I may just take my chances with the Melda "MIDI CC modulating device".
I have a few days to decide.

David, Great informative post! thanks.

As for MidiMadness will buy if ever under $45.

Note (no pun, etc!:) that the Melda thing doesn't have any pitch/gate sequencing features, like Zenith does. It's ONLY a sort of super-ultimate LFO connected to a MIDI CC out module, times 8. Per device; you can of course stack them up to get more than 8 at once. It's that LFO that makes it so cool, as it can do virtually anything. Put it in front of a synth with controls that can be MIDI learned, and it's now got 8 of the coolest LFOs ever.

Captain chords is mentioned in positive ways in this topic.
I digged a little and found out that:
Your daw have to be online all the time.

Your daw have to be online all the time
Yes, this is a disadvantage of course. But you can drag and drop any midi part you created in any Captain App to your daw, from that on you dont need the Captain to be online until you wand to make some changes to the settings in the Captain plugs.

^^^
Thanks for the reminder
Checked my notes and found Captain Chord under AVOID
1. for the internet connection
2, Stand alone only, not VST - Edit: tatanka corrected me see post below.
3. Studio One 4 not officially supported.

But then the comments have been very positive.
But do I spend $99 for the black Friday deal?

https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/captain-chords/

Interesting links
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/captai ... xed-in-key
viewtopic.php?t=522671
viewtopic.php?t=507483
viewtopic.php?t=527073
viewtopic.php?t=512459
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

2, Stand alone only, not VST
This is wrong (there is a standalone software Odesi which is kind of started it all), all Captain plugins are different individually loadable VST plugins (Chords, Melody, Deep, Beat...).

I have not tried in Studio One but worked well so far in Mixcraft and Mulab.

^^^
Thanks to tatanka for catching my mistake.

So now I only have thee issues to avoid Captain Chord.
1. must be online
2. Studio One 4 not officially supported but likely works ok.
3. Do I want to spend $79 or $99 as my buy list is long.
May still buy Zenith for $79
Very likely to buy Architect for $140 or less is there is a BF sale
Very likely reMIDI $19, Toontrack EZkeys Dream Machine $29 and Scaler $29
Not MIDI Lab $55 as it is stand-alone only.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Only my two cents on it:

- I was very skeptikel when they first changed from Odesi to these Captain plugins, especially as it was Mac-only long time
- over a long time nothing really happened in case of win compatibility/devellopment
- but over ther last maybe a year there was an enormous devellopment not only in new modules (las one was Captain deep, a complete drum VST with tons of presets, kits, evrything) but especially in the quality of the melody tool (for me the best of the easy to use now)
- only week point in my opinion is still the Captain Deep but NOW I am sure they will devllop this as they did with the other ones
- is 79 or 99 bucks to much for a connected set of Chord/Arp, Melody, Bass and Drum VST ?

Your decision of course, I can only say after grumbling while nothing happened over a time I am now absolutely happy that I did the upgrade then :)

Return to “Effects”