Plugin Alliance new transfer policy caused concerns and is corrected...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

plexuss wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
iftango wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm wMaybe it would be time to remind him publicly of his Facebook promise. I don't have a facebook account so can't do it myself.
I'm curious how we would justify this (lie?) ?
I have. Numerous times. My posts are ignored except by the fanboys. I think Dirk lied to us about not knowing about the NFR. Seems like some pretty devious behaviour going on. :dog:
These PA fanbois on Facebook are really obscure and a pain in the a...

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 pm These PA fanbois on Facebook are really obscure and a pain in the a...
Any link to the discussion? Can't find it.

iftango wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:03 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 pm These PA fanbois on Facebook are really obscure and a pain in the a...
Any link to the discussion? Can't find it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pa.audiophiles/

Hi All. I have an update on the Plugin Alliance NFR debacle. I tried to get clarification from Dirk, on facebook, on the policy - he statted it was a mistake yet on their site it still says plugins will become NFR. The result of my attempt to get clarificaiton was that he unfriended me. I decided to email support about it. This is the exchange:
On Wed, 9 Jan at 3:25 PM , you wrote:
Hello. I would like to get clarificaiton on the NFR transfer policy. 1) Of the plugins I own now will they ever become NFR if I sell any of them, including if they are resold to future owners? 2) If I buy new plugins will they ever become NFR if transferred 2nd from owner to owner? adn 3) If I were to buy a plugin 2nd hand would it ever become NFR for me or any other future owner?
thanks
Plexus Productions, Canada.

On Jan 9, 2019, at 7:06 PM, Vadim <support@plugin-alliance.com> wrote:
Hi, No, they will no longer become NFRs and users can sell/give away as many plugins as they want.
Best,
Plugin Alliance Support Team

On Wed, 9 Jan at 4:23 PM , you> wrote:
Great thanks for letting me know. On your site under account license transfers it says: “You cannot transfer … licenses that were previously transferred to you, and the same plugin can only be transferred twice.” - this seems different than what you said, can you clarify?
thanks

On Jan 10, 2019, at 4:12 PM, Vadim <support@plugin-alliance.com> wrote:
Yes that was due to a system error/policy confusion and should be fixed in the next few weeks on our end. For now I might need to do your transfers manually. Let me know which plugins you want to transfer and to whom and I'll process it.

plexuss wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pm Hi All. I have an update on the Plugin Alliance NFR debacle. I tried to get clarification from Dirk, on facebook, on the policy - he statted it was a mistake yet on their site it still says plugins will become NFR. The result of my attempt to get clarificaiton was that he unfriended me. I decided to email support about it. This is the exchange:....
Thanks plexuss, I had a similar message regarding NFRs from support yesterday as I am currently selling some PA plugs.

Hopefully the text on the website will be updated soon to put all sellers and buyers minds at rest..

This is the reply I received from support:

"I am not one who lies, the system that we need to use to update text on our web FAQs has a bug that we are trying to fix. I would appreciate a little patience we will not be giving customers NFRs when they transfer. If you need to make a transfer you can contact support in the meantime."

I don't know what to think about the guy's honesty. Who knows maybe this it the line Dirk is feeding them until we stop caring?

From my limited knowledge in html and programming such a bug does not really last for a month.
Unless they lost complete control of their webserver which clearly is not the case a sentence stating the policy reversion can be added with Notepad.

plexuss wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pmYes that was due to a system error/policy confusion and should be fixed in the next few weeks on our end.
Strange. I had a problem yesterday with my wife's website in that Google finally deprecated their Google Maps V2 API and I had to recode it to work with the V3 API. Took me an hour. And it takes them a few weeks to change a bit of text? :o
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I’m lost as to why this is such a big deal. They’ve said that if you want to transfer a license to contact them directly. I can only assume that they will honour that offer. Has any one experienced otherwise?

I don’t mean to defend PA, nor do I have any reason. But why can’t we just take them at their word until they prove otherwise. Because as far as I can tell they are.

^ cos it seems they can't be f**ked to update their website and they ignore or ban people on FB. Nice.

nathanj wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 am I’m lost as to why this is such a big deal.
I don't understand that you can get so agitated about all this that you get banned by them on FB either, but, hey... we live in hysteric first world societies, so, maybe things like that shouldn't surprise at all.

nathanj wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 am I’m lost as to why this is such a big deal.
1. Maybe because you have not invested (and possibly lost) as much as we did in PA plugins?
2. Maybe because PA is giving difficult to believe excuses instead of just reverting as promised which leads us to believe that they will never revert and just playing the waiting game.
3. Because until it is publicly stated on their website that licenses don't become NFR no 2nd hand buyer can be 100% certain that he/she will be able to sell them afterwards. At the moment the website states that licenses are NFR and could very well remain like that forever.

So yes today I can transfer a license manually through support but I want the NFR publicly reverted.

Not being able to update the website in a month is bullcr*p. Proof is that it is updated at least every week. :dog:

iftango wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm
1. Maybe because you have not invested (and possibly lost) as much as we did in PA plugins?
2. Maybe because PA is giving difficult to believe excuses instead of just reverting as promised which leads us to believe that they will never revert and just playing the waiting game.
3. Because until it is publicly stated on their website that licenses don't become NFR no 2nd hand buyer can be 100% certain that he/she will be able to sell them afterwards. At the moment the website states that licenses are NFR and could very well remain like that forever.
So yes today I can transfer a license manually through support but I want the NFR publicly reverted.
Not being able to update the website in a month is bullcr*p. Proof is that it is updated at least every week. :dog:
This covers the concerns very well. The fact that it happened, that Dirk said it was a mistake and will correct, yet it's not corrected on the site, and his evasion from addressing the issue are giving us concern. but we have it now in writing from support that NFR does not apply to PA and we can now hold them to that. But it is still creepy and concerning... :dog:

iftango wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 am This is the reply I received from support:

"I am not one who lies, the system that we need to use to update text on our web FAQs has a bug that we are trying to fix. I would appreciate a little patience we will not be giving customers NFRs when they transfer. If you need to make a transfer you can contact support in the meantime."

From my limited knowledge in html and programming such a bug does not really last for a month.
Modern websites of this scale do not use direct html editing. There is some form of content management system. From the way they are phrasing it, the issues are probably more complicated (possibly related to the system vendor) but they are simplifying it to "system issue" and "bug". There's also the issue of how the system qualifies licenses for transfer, so what it actually does matches the text. Do they program that in house or contract it out, who knows. But it takes time.

This support comment clarifies it a lot more for me than Dirk's statement so I am still making no purchases until the text changes but I am more mollified.

I just completed a sale and although the license appeared as a full license in the users account it didn`t show up in their `Transfer License` page. I`ve messaged support again, but it has ended up in the buyers hands (who was fortunately very gracious about it)

Hopefully this will all be worked out but worth noting if you have any sales at the moment, you and/or the buyer may have to chase things up.

yellowmix wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm Modern websites of this scale do not use direct html editing. There is some form of content management system.
No modern content management system keeps unsolved, for more than a month, a bug preventing content to be modified. :o
That's just unheard of.

Return to “Effects”