FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

all this talk about Pro-Q3 has made me look into things a bit and wondering if I should get some kind of Dynamic EQ. The price is not insignificant. Neutron is on sale right, I can get Neutron std for $99, vs $180 for Pro-Q3. Anyone care to comment about these two in comparison? These seem to be the two main ones that are both dynamic EQ as well as some masking features across channels, though its not entirely clear to me which one wins there..
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am all this talk about Pro-Q3 has made me look into things a bit and wondering if I should get some kind of Dynamic EQ. The price is not insignificant. Neutron is on sale right, I can get Neutron std for $99, vs $180 for Pro-Q3. Anyone care to comment about these two in comparison? These seem to be the two main ones that are both dynamic EQ as well as some masking features across channels, though its not entirely clear to me which one wins there..
I had Neutron 2 Adv (along with Ozone 8 Adv - had been using Ozone since v6). I had moved on from the pristine sound of Ozone to a more coloured approach to mastering. I've tried working with Neutron but it never jived with me - to much clicking around trying to figure out whats going on. I prefer to do my own plugin selection for track sound design. Although I did like the masking feature - but it was not enough to keep the entire bundle. So I sold it. I am happy that masking is now in Q3 along with dyn EQ - having both these plus everything else brings a lot of power under the hood. And FF have come up with a really easy efficient workflow for everything they included. I just wish the dyn bands had sc. :phones:

I have to say that setting up dynamic bands in the Neutron 2 Adv EQ module is super, super easy, and the analyzer allows you to quickly identify resonant frequencies for targeting. It is my goto and just plain works every time without fail.

And that's just one small feature of a very impressive suite. I'm a fan.

But I am still pining for Pro-Q 3.... :lol:

Does anyone else have problems with the Match EQ in Pro-Q 3? It analyzes the input signal just fine, but when I try to analyze the reference signal from incoming audio, it either doesn't want to do it at all, or analyzes for just a fraction of a second and then locks the correction curve. In Pro-Q 2, the similar Match EQ feature works just fine. One workaround is to analyze the reference first, and then save it, but looks to me like something here is broken? I'm using v3.01, in the latest version of Logic, tried it on two different systems. I found one post in the Fabfilter forum about a similar problem, but there were no replies.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:41 am I have to say that setting up dynamic bands in the Neutron 2 Adv EQ module is super, super easy, and the analyzer allows you to quickly identify resonant frequencies for targeting. It is my goto and just plain works every time without fail.
Has that improved from Neutron 1 or is it the same?

Dewdman42 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am all this talk about Pro-Q3 has made me look into things a bit and wondering if I should get some kind of Dynamic EQ. The price is not insignificant. Neutron is on sale right, I can get Neutron std for $99, vs $180 for Pro-Q3. Anyone care to comment about these two in comparison? These seem to be the two main ones that are both dynamic EQ as well as some masking features across channels, though its not entirely clear to me which one wins there..
Not related to the EQ but keep in mind, that izotope plugin instances doesn´t share any binaries, so every instance takes the full amount of RAM... meaning if you have it on every track you end up easily with a RAM usage of 8-9 gigs just for Neutron (+ all your other plugins+ instruments etc.) ...

Just in comparison, the same amount of Pro-Q3 instances would take up 300-400 MB at max...

If that’s a true datapoint about memory consumption it is very significant! Why is neutron requiring so much memory?

Neutron appears to offer considerably more functionality for half the price of pro-q3. Near as I can tell pro-q3 has scores of fans that love its UI.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

With the current FabFilter sale, I was able to upgrade to Pro-Q3 for 39,11€. Nice!

^Sweeeeet, I have the same price! Thanx!

£45 :(

Am I reading it correctly that Pro Q-3 can't do dynamic sidechain EQ, for example to duck bass' sub frequencies when same frequencies from the kick hit? :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Woohoo! £35 upgrade here.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Dang, I wish I would have waited!

Weird thing, I waited last year for a lower price on the Pro-L 2 upgrade in December and all I got was a reduction of 1 EUR. And this year for Pro-Q 3 upgrade, a reduction of more than 10 EUR... I'm both :? and :D.

Is this for bundles only or for single plugins too?
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Effects”