FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

.. and Toneboosters also offers another variety, the Toneboosters FLX plugin which takes dynamic EQ to a completely different level where it allows the user to freely shape the transfer function. This is the plugin I always go-to when I need extremely precise shaping of the dynamic action. It doesn't get more flexible than this one (except the Melda Dynamic EQ which also allows you to tweak the transfer function and a whole lot more).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 am .. and Toneboosters also offers another variety, the Toneboosters FLX plugin which takes dynamic EQ to a completely different level where it allows the user to freely shape the transfer function. This is the plugin I always go-to when I need extremely precise shaping of the dynamic action. It doesn't get more flexible than this one (except the Melda Dynamic EQ which also allows you to tweak the transfer function and a whole lot more).
Is that all incorporated into EQ4?

No. EQ4 only has the basic functions of Threshold, ratio, attack and release (and 'auto' mode for attack and release). I also can't find any way to assign external sidechain to the dynamics of EQ4 (something you can do in FLX).

You can find FLX in the Bustools pack.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

i had an eyes on Q2 , but Q3 made me think that they want to make a super tool for everything.i'm not really excited for Q3 ...

hivkorn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:01 am i had an eyes on Q2 , but Q3 made me think that they want to make a super tool for everything.i'm not really excited for Q3 ...
As long as it provides the same efficiency (as it does)...who cares???
I would agree to you, if this would get unnecessary cluttered or RAM/CPU would get out of hand... but nope... Q3 does everything like Q2 or even better...

Trancit wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am
hivkorn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:01 am i had an eyes on Q2 , but Q3 made me think that they want to make a super tool for everything.i'm not really excited for Q3 ...
As long as it provides the same efficiency (as it does)...who cares???
I would agree to you, if this would get unnecessary cluttered or RAM/CPU would get out of hand... but nope... Q3 does everything like Q2 or even better...
i plan to buy it when i will be able to buy , but it will be a Q2 (second hand) version i don't want to paid more for a feature I don't need / want

The really beautiful thing about the Q3 - and probably most dynamic eq’s - is the fact that it’s indispensable if you work with a lot of vocalists. Different placement of consonants and syllables
in a vocal can change the frequency in seconds from warm to shrill and back again and a dynamic eq can smooth these difference out without affecting the whole vocal take. The Q3 in my opinion is a must have for those of us who work with vocalists.... of course there are the guitars and other instruments that benefit but for vocals it’s the dogs b*llocks.

^^^ This.

bmanic wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 pm Pro-Q has never been a "unique" must have EQ due to sound quality or features. The only unique part of it has always been the interface, that's still the case. That's still the thing you pay a premium for. There are plenty of free or very low-cost options for people who either can't afford or don't need Pro-Q.

It's definitely a premium product but only in workflow in my opinion. Workflow is a very important part for many people though which explains why it's been selling so well and why everybody and their uncle has been copying Pro-Q since the beginning. :)
what are some of the best alternatives?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

kelvyn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 am The really beautiful thing about the Q3 - and probably most dynamic eq’s - is the fact that it’s indispensable if you work with a lot of vocalists. Different placement of consonants and syllables
in a vocal can change the frequency in seconds from warm to shrill and back again and a dynamic eq can smooth these difference out without affecting the whole vocal take. The Q3 in my opinion is a must have for those of us who work with vocalists.... of course there are the guitars and other instruments that benefit but for vocals it’s the dogs b*llocks.
Also good for mixes in this regard, keeps harsh peaks in check.

TheSynthScientist wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 am
kelvyn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 am The really beautiful thing about the Q3 - and probably most dynamic eq’s - is the fact that it’s indispensable if you work with a lot of vocalists. Different placement of consonants and syllables
Without the need for automated EQ or multiband compression and the major downside of filter crossovers :tu:

Question: I know they've increased the slope depth including a new "brickwall", but have they also gone the other way and made shallower slopes too? Pro-Q 2 does 12db/oct by default which is its lowest. I always wished it could do 6db/oct bell filter slopes or even 3db/oct.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am Pro-Q 2 does 12db/oct by default which is its lowest. I always wished it could do 6db/oct bell filter slopes or even 3db/oct.
It's only possible to construct a bell filter of even order (note how there are no 18 dB/oct or 30 dB/oct bells) so asking for for less than 12 dB/oct slope is sort of like asking to divide by zero. The result is just not defined. You can already make 12 dB/oct bell arbitrarily shallow by decreasing the Q value.

Am I missing something or every professional mixing console has eq, sometimes compressor and other tools per channel?
Murderous duck!

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 am
TheSynthScientist wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 am
Without the need for automated EQ or multiband compression and the major downside of filter crossovers :tu:
Exactly, which makes it very useful.

Return to “Effects”