Why the iLok hate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

---
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

forget it, not worth engaging so seriously as all that

I really respect you and everyone jancivil, the fact that I'm talking realistic situations doesn't means I'm perfect or "the wisdom man", I just have real concern about what the population is doing and those who doesn't learn from the history will repeat it (that's not very good); I already said Windows is not necessarily good by any means, but to even suggest that apple is a better option... there is not way to justify it.

Just for addition, if you think that I'm obnoxious why read or reply what I'm saying?
you have done the same before and I don't know, you hate everything I said, why to read it then? as soon you see the icon and the name, you should pass if you don't like what I'm expressing.

With absolute respect, the opinion and expression of the people should be free and never suppressed for what they really feel. Have a good day.

@junsev

Actually - you're the one who brought up Apple. In a comment to my post where I said nothing about Apple.

Your post wasn't as much a comment to what I said as a declaration of your aversions towards Apple.

Jancivil is right when he says you're trying to write us all on the nose.

And you still do:

"the fact that I'm talking realistic situations doesn't means I'm perfect or "the wisdom man"

BUT -->

"to even suggest that apple is a better option... there is not way to justify it."

And:

"With absolute respect, the opinion and expression of the people should be free and never suppressed for what they really feel"

Unless , of course, if their opinions are such that - "there is not way to justify it."

That is simply another way to say "I know better" with a touch of "respect of freedom of expression" garniture.

djanthonyw wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 pm
confusedmuse wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:41 pm Another reason for iLok (what everyone seems to forget) - you're not dependend on working activation servers. If the company gets bankrupt/insolvent, you can't activate your software anymore. With iLok, that's not an issue, since it's a local key.
Also, a flash drive (USB stick) only wears from writing processes, not from reading processes. What means, it should get broken only from weared contacts (what can be solved by using an extension cable), from physical damage (which is your own fault) or from overvoltage. For the latter, I got a USB hub with overvoltage protection. I have my iLok since several years now and it shows no sign of wear.
And if the iLok company closes its doors eventually, you should get an alternative activation method from the software vendors. At least if they want to stay in business.
False. iLok essentially turns software into hardware, and hardware can malfunction at any time. Simple serial will always be the best method of CP for the customer because they can make as many backup copies as they want for themselves.

Plenty of successful companies that have been around for years use simple serial as a solution, and they continue to grow their business while continuing to release new products. Not to mention the ones that have actually dropped Pace and have grown as well.

I could only imagine what Pace charges devs to use iLok. That in combination with putting off potential customers, and making things more difficult for the majority of existing ones doesn’t make much sense as far as I’m concerned because most of those who pirate probably aren’t going to buy regardless. It’s a loss for the company and a loss for genuine customers.

It’s obvious that companies that use iLok don’t have the customer’s best interest in mind. Good luck getting a license replacement or alternative license method once the dev is gone. That’s wishful thinking.
This was an addition to my previous post, where I already mentioned that the best activiation method is - of course - serial/offline.
Just mentioned another reason why it's better than online activation.
I also mentioned how a malfuction can be mostly prevented.

About "turning software into hardware" - I've actually had the very same thought at first. But after getting to know about much worse systems, like "limited number of activations" for example, my opinion about iLok drastically changed. Now iLok is the only thing besides serial, that gives me the feel of actually owning a software.

And your last argument doesn't make any sense. That's actually one of the good sides of ilok. Like already mentioned, you still have your license if the dev is gone and their activation servers are shut down. Your license is located on the iLok or inside your iLok account and replacements are managed by the iLok company.
Your only problem would be if the iLok company is gone. But I really don't think that any renowned manufacturer would expect the users to re-purchase their licenses in this scenario. They would need to create an new activation method anyway, for future customers, so the ilok users surely would get a replacement license. Otherwise they can expect quite a shit storm. Also, they don't have to care about double-usage very much (from people who still have their iLok) because it will only work for old versions of the software.

sfd wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:57 pm @junsev

Actually - you're the one who brought up Apple. In a comment to my post where I said nothing about Apple.

Your post wasn't as much a comment to what I said as a declaration of your aversions towards Apple.

Jancivil is right when he says you're trying to write us all on the nose.

And you still do:

"the fact that I'm talking realistic situations doesn't means I'm perfect or "the wisdom man"

BUT -->

"to even suggest that apple is a better option... there is not way to justify it."

And:

"With absolute respect, the opinion and expression of the people should be free and never suppressed for what they really feel"

Unless , of course, if their opinions are such that - "there is not way to justify it."

That is simply another way to say "I know better" with a touch of "respect of freedom of expression" garniture.
The issue here is that you started suggesting that the users shouldn't get a windows machine in first place, at the end yeah I brought apple to the conversation for obvious reasons, I really don't like apple politics and business decisions and many more things like their overpriced and greedy way to manage products, I already said windows is not good neither, but those are the main Operative systems (sadly), and linux is not like always as used or have same support always as windows and mac in the plug-in sphere.

Apologies if I did something that was perceived differently, will all respect sfd.

Because you shouldn’t lose your licenses if your ilok key breaks. And, you shouldn’t have to buy insurance for a digital license.

@Junsev

The issue here is that my mentioning of Windows triggered you to ventilate your hatred against OSX.

You totally missed the point. And you went far to far with that.

I could just as well have said that anyone concerned about what iLok might do under the hood should perhaps not use Cubase (or any other closed source software) either. And then get you going like: "How unbelievable wrong you are, as if Logic were even close as a better option...and there's no way to justify anything against that." - to use your own wordings.

Indeed you, blinded by your aversion against Apple, perceived the statement differently

I'm, we are, talking about iLok here while you where running berserk recklessly hurling your hatred against Apple all over the place. Suggesting that Apple is a case of populism by people lacking knowledge, not walking the right path, not discerning accurately, not talking realistic situations or learning from history - to, again, use your own wordings.

Besides totally missing the point. Regarding your constant repetition of how respectful you are.

Just how respectful would you feel we where if we drove down such a lad of shit in your throat with an additional "with all due respect Sir" ?

I've been at KVR for ages. I'm certainly not know for giving people a reprimand. Just ask your way around.

But this one time you really walked over my threshold.

I don't have any opinion about your opinion about Apple. However I do have a strong opinion about your opinions and statements about those who do like Apple.

All that aside. You totally missed the point. My initial post was not about operation systems, even if I mentioned one, but about iLok. Just to clarify - in this comment I've mentioned Cubase. But this comment is not about DAW:s. And so there's nothing "obvious" in bringing in Pro Tools into the conversation.

Too many cultists on KVR, unable to engage in any meaningful discussion about anything.
<List your stupid gear here>

True.

sfd wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 am @Junsev

The issue here is that my mentioning of Windows triggered you to ventilate your hatred against OSX.

You totally missed the point. And you went far to far with that.

I could just as well have said that anyone concerned about what iLok might do under the hood should perhaps not use Cubase (or any other closed source software) either. And then get you going like: "How unbelievable wrong you are, as if Logic were even close as a better option...and there's no way to justify anything against that." - to use your own wordings.

Indeed you, blinded by your aversion against Apple, perceived the statement differently

I'm, we are, talking about iLok here while you where running berserk recklessly hurling your hatred against Apple all over the place. Suggesting that Apple is a case of populism by people lacking knowledge, not walking the right path, not discerning accurately, not talking realistic situations or learning from history - to, again, use your own wordings.

Besides totally missing the point. Regarding your constant repetition of how respectful you are.

Just how respectful would you feel we where if we drove down such a lad of shit in your throat with an additional "with all due respect Sir" ?

I've been at KVR for ages. I'm certainly not know for giving people a reprimand. Just ask your way around.

But this one time you really walked over my threshold.

I don't have any opinion about your opinion about Apple. However I do have a strong opinion about your opinions and statements about those who do like Apple.

All that aside. You totally missed the point. My initial post was not about operation systems, even if I mentioned one, but about iLok. Just to clarify - in this comment I've mentioned Cubase. But this comment is not about DAW:s. And so there's nothing "obvious" in bringing in Pro Tools into the conversation.
Ok then there was a misconception and we both disagree on some stuffs, I guess one thing gives place to other and we end up talking about Operative Systems and things, but all good sfd.

Also keep in mind something important, some people has such distorted values and mindset that an intervention sometimes is necessary for clarify things; for some people apparently is ok to be dependent of companies, is prohibited to say something about the bad practices of some companies toward their costumers and be completely submissive to all nonsensical laws or very unfair measures implemented from some companies, as I should respect the decisions of everyone I have concerns too, during all history there have been manipulations, bad tactics and practices just to make sure that bad ideologies and practices continue their thing and is not ok. But all of this is for other other conversation.

egbert101 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:51 pm Too many cultists on KVR, unable to engage in any meaningful discussion about anything.
Wise words, mighty leader. :hail:

iLok rocks. Make love, not war. Peace and love. :party:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morelia wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 am Because sometimes iLok sucks.
For example:
Server Unavailable
The server is currently unavailable. This may be due to a scheduled maintenance or a service outage of some kind.
There is no estimate for when the server will be available.
So if I have just registered a product, and then see this message, who knows what is happening right now. And because of the Gobbler shit Softube use I can't even download the product until "currently unavailable" is over.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Return to “Effects”