Why the iLok hate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm To put it succinctly, read my tag line. :neutral:
Your tagline doesnt give me a solution for providing a pool of licenses that can be made available to someone who could use one of approximately 100 systems, some of which may be offline.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:02 pm The user always has the freedom to express themselves, without expression there never will be change, the companies never will understand the frustration and the desolation when we can't trust this disgusting sort of copy protection scheme, and the user never ever will have keys and product, will be dependent of companies and that is a bad example.

Those are things that simply can't be left out and we have to talk about, for better improvement in software companies and better alternatives to the user.
Don't forget that you merely speak for yourself though, not for anyone else here.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 pm
JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:02 pm The user always has the freedom to express themselves, without expression there never will be change, the companies never will understand the frustration and the desolation when we can't trust this disgusting sort of copy protection scheme, and the user never ever will have keys and product, will be dependent of companies and that is a bad example.

Those are things that simply can't be left out and we have to talk about, for better improvement in software companies and better alternatives to the user.
Don't forget that you merely speak for yourself though, not for anyone else here.
I'm talking about a reality about what is happening, the people expressing what they feel about Ilok are not minority and I just wish change for improvement, Ilok can't be a standard in long term never and I have to say what I feel about it.

I know that no one like you will support it, if you're friend, work for or are part of Ilok is another thing, but it can't be justified their bad implementation of copy protection.

JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pmthe people expressing what they feel about Ilok are not minority
yes they are.

JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm I'm talking about a reality about what is happening, the people expressing what they feel about Ilok are not minority
I'm sure you have some hard figures to back that claim up?

ilok has been around at least for 17 years.

I am curious to know where you got the data from that ilok detractors are not a minority?

rsp
sound sculptist

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:21 pm
JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pmthe people expressing what they feel about Ilok are not minority
yes they are.
From what I see, I would say that too, even though I don't have a way to prove it. Let's just say experience told me that it's very often minority opinions which are served on the internet. Especially when they're presented almost religiously, like in this case.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:24 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:21 pm
yes they are.
From what I see, I would say that too, even though I don't have a way to prove it. Let's just say experience told me that it's very often minority opinions which are served on the internet. Especially when they're presented almost religiously, like in this case.
No they are not, why then there is always problem exactly with Ilok?

It seems that some people just decide to go along with it and it is not ok definitely. Is very disgusting to even imagine a future where this is a standard copy protection, the user never will have product and everything will be completely dependent of companies...

Like, Where is your key and your product? no I don't have key or product, everything depends on Ilok... disgusting really...

They are not minority and this is a serious issue.

Just because YOU say so, I guess. Case closed then. ;)

JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm
They are not minority
yes they are.

In addition to that is weird that always when someone talk about these things some people jump and try to put silence always against everyone expressing the bad experiences with Ilok, it make me wonder if perhaps they are close to some developer that use it or they work for them or something, it has been the same for many threads. but as always I will respect everyone and say the things as they are.

Perhaps could affect their interests or something, but things has to be said as it is.

JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 pm In addition to that is weird that always when someone talk about these things some people jump and try to put silence always against everyone expressing the bad experiences with Ilok, it make me wonder if perhaps they are close to some developer that use it or they work for them or something, it has been the same for many threads. but as always I will respect everyone and say the things as they are.

Perhaps could affect their interests or something, but things has to be said as it is.
ooooh, conspiracy dogwhistles, that'll definitely make your assertions more compelling. :roll:

JunSev wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 pm In addition to that is weird that always when someone talk about these things some people jump and try to put silence always against everyone expressing the bad experiences with Ilok
You mean like the always same people bashing on iLok wherever they can? Yeah, I guess so. Doubt there's many who would do that without reacting on people claiming BS about the topic, though. Like in this case.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:58 am
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm To put it succinctly, read my tag line. :neutral:
Your tagline doesnt give me a solution for providing a pool of licenses that can be made available to someone who could use one of approximately 100 systems, some of which may be offline.
The OP asked for our reasons why we aren't fans of iLOK. My tagline lists my own reasons. Others may have other reasons or needs as the case may be. My reasons obviously won't be the same as yours. :phones:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

When hearing about iLok the first time, I greatly disliked the idea.
But meanwhile I actually would like to have any license on the iLok.
Why? One word - offline.
You just install the software and it works.
Many software today is licensed to the machine. And this is the most terrible thing ever imo.
Most of these systems react to any change on your pc - a hardware change or even just an OS re-install (quite common for Windows users...) - and you lose all your activations.
Not so terrible if you can manage the activations online and just deactivate the old pc.
But in many cases, there is no such online managment, what makes things extremely annoying. After you have used up all activations, you have to contact the support to reset them. In some cases the activations even actually get used up and you have to purchase the software again.
There are so many bad activation systems out there... Most of them are machine based. There's even software with an email activation system where you submit your machine ID and have to wait up to days to receive the key...
I just hate any machine based system. It's up to me how often I change my hardware or re-install my OS.

To me, iLok ist the best thing after after pre-activated and serial number/offline.

Return to “Effects”