Alternatives to HDelay (MH Dirty Delay on sale).... any other recommendations?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking at HDelay from Waves, but found Metric Halo Dirty Delay on sale at $19.

HDealy has got a low-pass high-pass, I think MH Delay has what looks like an EQ , although I am not sure.

Any opinions ?

Metric Halo Delay:
https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/produc ... delay.html
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

I just noticed their email too. Huge discount.
About what you asked, yes, DirtyDelay can eq the processed signal like H-Dealy can, and more than that because the eq seems to be more flexible with different filter shapes and more controls within the parametric interface.

First off, DirtyDelay has two separate delay lines with independent controls, which can be very useful and much more flexible.

The other main difference appears to be the the "character" capabilties.
H-Delay has a few distortion/saturation modes which are basically On-Off, with a Lo-Fi mode which again is On-Off.
DirtyDelay has several distortion/saturation modes and a dedicated Drive knob, which can dial-in a variable amount. The plugin seems much better in this compartment.

On the other side, H-Delay has modulation capabilities (although pretty basic) and another thing is the Ping-Pong "fast option", which btw should also be possible in DirtyDelay with a little more effort by appropriately setting the two independent delay lines, and I'm not sure of what the "crossfeed" knob in DirtyDelay can further do on a practical standpoint (I can't find the manual anywhere in their website, quite surprisingly).

Summing up, DirtyDelay is more tweakble and in several ways more advanced than H-Delay. But of course at times you might want to go for the simplest and more immediate approach. It depends...

I don't know. I already have H-Delay along with many other delays with different architectures spacing from basic to very complex... I have thoughts about getting DirtyDelay at this price, but I also think I might have reached the point where having too many plugins (delays in this context) is starting to be more counterproductive than anything, workflow-wise. But that's just a personal thing.

Niowiad wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:06 pm Summing up, DirtyDelay is more tweakble and in several ways more advanced than H-Delay. But of course at times you might want to go for the simplest and more immediate approach. It depends...
thanks @Niowaid... I first got interested in HDelay when I saw a demo of it being used in an EDM build-up. I think the guy just set the delay to 1/16th and modulated the dry/wet. Sounded pretty good.
I am pretty sure Dirty Delay can do this too(?)
The only other delay I have is the free Valhala Freqecho. Anyways, there's a Demo of DD available so I might give that a go.

I'm honestly not sure what the big fuss about H-Delay is, it seems perfectly basic, which is cool, but not entirely unique.

Lately I been using the free Cocoa Delay by Tesselode because it got a drift, drive and ducking features, I think Waves would call that "analog types" and lofi mode lol. Before that my favorite was always Variety of Sound Nasty Delay but I'm trying not to use 32 bit plugins anymore.

The only 2 delays I really wanna pay money for is D16's and Soundspots Nebula because they offer unique features.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/cocoa- ... -tesselode

is there no Pan for each delay line?

I like h-delay, it has a nice sound to it. One of the better waves plugins.

That said, I don’t use it too much and here is a free plug-in that I prefer to it. http://www.musicalentropy.com/SpaceshipDelay.html

sqigls wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm is there no Pan for each delay line?
For the DD? Don't think so.
Lately I been using the free Cocoa Delay by Tesselode...
Had a look at this .. looks pretty feature rich, potentially better than DD. Slightly less EQ control than DD but might give it a tryout.
Just checked out Spaceship too - thats awesome for free.

It looks like the MH Dirty Delay is a nice tool... I have enough (probably too much) delays in my setup, otherwise I would consider getting it (especially at this price).

Another alternative to H-Delay is TAL-Dub-X... While it has a just single saturation style (with switchable position in the signal path), it offers modulation (LFO) for the filter.

The thing is... all these delays have comparable features: delay (of course!), some saturation/distortion, control of the feedback level, filtering on the feedback path, maybe some modulation and/or ping ping mode ... you will find differences on the sound (each delay has its own character - saturation/distortion plays a huge role on this) and you will likely prefer x over y, but the features are more or less comparable...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I never could get any MH plugins to work correctly. They are re-sizable (or something) but always
re-centered the UI off the corner of the plugin window until they were unusable. Decent plugins,
but they are not very good at UI coding for windows last time I checked.

Try the demo...

I found ColourCopy by U-He to be much better than I guessed, very very clean sound.. I cant raelly put in words what it does right, it simply just sounds great. https://u-he.com/products/colourcopy/

You got Sigmund by D16 too, great delay. Sandman Pro is cool too if you want some more extreme/modular version of delay.

Izotope's DDLY is another one to look at in this field. It can do the saturation thing or full blown distortion (adjustable per chanel). You can also widen the stereo image for the two separate delay lines.

For $19 (or $15.19 from Audio Deluxe when added to cart), in my humble opinion, the sale price of Metric Halo's Dirty Delay is beyond a reasonable deal. It is one of my most used delay VSTs, in spite of the fact that I have many other options available. YMMV.

H-delay isn't good because it has the most features, it's good because it has the most useful features and a good workflow. It's a bit like console EQ vs node-based EQ.

To be fair, I just tried the updated thump and it seems like MH has since fixed the UI issues
I experienced with their plugins in the past.

Just sayin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04aSaTomvk
Included with Computer Music issue 235 onwards.

Toneboosters Reelbus V4 has a delay feature.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Effects”