Sknote Fender Tweed amp sim (seems like a Tremolux)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spitfire31 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm
quintosardo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am Our upcoming model of a Hammond Organ + Leslie in the intro.
http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-conten ... rimson.mp3
What with VB3 II, Blue-3 and B-5 Organ, one might be excused for thinking that we're rather well provided for with Hammond + Leslie clones, no? ;-)

It will be very interesting to see, er… hear what Quinto will come up with to challenge this potential misapprehension!

/Joachim
Well, we are in a thread about the 10000000 model of a Fender but still... :)

cprompt wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm
lajosuti wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm If you have a good technology for dealing with IRs, maybe you could release that separately as well :)
I believe that this plugin doesn't use IRs, or at least, not in the traditional sense. Magic voodoo perhaps?
Here it is: our upcoming online market for IR2s, our extended format for IRs. An independent plugin lets us load them (or load simple IRs, too, tuning the model to them).

pekbro wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:45 pm Crap this is like the 5th amp sim I bought this week... :lol:

guitarzan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm This is the first amp sim that has interested me in many years....Neil Young's Deluxe — now we're talking about something worth modeling!

Any thought to also modeling a Magnatone 280? The stereo vibrato is another important aspect of Neil Young's electric tone.
Thanks! You checked this, right? https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.ph ... eil-young/

That Magnatone vibrato thing is absolutely interesting.

Actually we just modeled in a great solid-state version, the UniVibe. But I guess the tube design contains some limitations that make it sound special, starting from max available phase shift and saturation, so expect one :wink:

pekbro wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 pm Honestly one of the best amp sims ever, in the 15 years or so that I’ve been buying them. Amazing stuff.
Oh, wow...

quintosardo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pmHere it is: our upcoming online market for IR2s, our extended format for IRs. An independent plugin lets us load them (or load simple IRs, too, tuning the model to them).
Looking pretty cool! You might've mentioned this but where will these IRs / IR2s come from? Who will be creating them?
A bit fried in the higher freqs

quintosardo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 pm
guitarzan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm This is the first amp sim that has interested me in many years....Neil Young's Deluxe — now we're talking about something worth modeling!

Any thought to also modeling a Magnatone 280? The stereo vibrato is another important aspect of Neil Young's electric tone.
Thanks! You checked this, right? https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.ph ... eil-young/

That Magnatone vibrato thing is absolutely interesting.

Actually we just modeled in a great solid-state version, the UniVibe. But I guess the tube design contains some limitations that make it sound special, starting from max available phase shift and saturation, so expect one :wink:
The Magnatone 280 amp gets a padded output from channel 2 of Neil's narrow panel Deluxe, if I recall correctly. He says it sounds more like a Marshall or something, though. The Magnatone's vibrato is unique — when one channel's pitch is going down, the other is going up. I believe it is always on, but low in the mix. He also uses a bigass Baldwin solid state amp, but pretty much only Neil hears that, it doesn't go to the FOH mix (I believe I read the Baldwin was more recently replaced with a Boogie).

His number one Deluxe does have some mods, too....can't remember it all, but it has different output tubes for one thing. Also, no other amp he has sags the way that one does, and his own amp tech claims he can't figure out why, but I once read someone online who found the measured specs for the installed output transformer and it was NOT a match for an early Deluxe, but did match a later brownface Princeton (I think)*** EDIT: I found the post, it was a BROWNFACE DELUXE O.T. — NOT A PRINCETON O.T***That guy installed the brownface output transformer in an early Deluxe clone and then recorded himself playing Cortez the Killer (along with the necessary Magnatone 280 and tape echo, outboard reverb tank, etc.) and it was very impressive....all the sag and bloom, complex harmonics, etc. There is a lot of info on Neil Young's rig online — I can dig it up later if you're interested.
Last edited by guitarzan on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarzan wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pmI once read someone online who found the measured specs for the installed output transformer and it was NOT a match for an early Deluxe, but did match a later brownface Princeton (I think). That guy installed the brownface output transformer in an early Deluxe clone and then recorded himself playing Cortez the Killer (along with the necessary Magnatone 280 and tape echo, outboard reverb tank, etc.) and it was very impressive....all the sag and bloom, complex harmonics, etc.
That's interesting. I bought a vintage Princeton Reverb (PR) last year and the guy included a vintage Deluxe Reverb (DR) transformer that he was planning on putting in the amp and never got around to. I've heard of people putting DR transformers in PR's, but the opposite would never have occurred to me since the PR transformer isn't as beefy. So, thanks for the fun fact. Maybe if I ever get a DR I'll swap the transformers just to see what happens.

Took a punt (easy now....) and bought it. Nice, does a good jangle at the lower gain, and most importantly sounds good with the 12 string.

That registration process is a bit bonkers mind - install it, add the code on the website, then have to download it again?!? :o :help: Figured it out eventually, but bloody hell...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:28 pm
guitarzan wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pmI once read someone online who found the measured specs for the installed output transformer and it was NOT a match for an early Deluxe, but did match a later brownface Princeton (I think). That guy installed the brownface output transformer in an early Deluxe clone and then recorded himself playing Cortez the Killer (along with the necessary Magnatone 280 and tape echo, outboard reverb tank, etc.) and it was very impressive....all the sag and bloom, complex harmonics, etc.
That's interesting. I bought a vintage Princeton Reverb (PR) last year and the guy included a vintage Deluxe Reverb (DR) transformer that he was planning on putting in the amp and never got around to. I've heard of people putting DR transformers in PR's, but the opposite would never have occurred to me since the PR transformer isn't as beefy. So, thanks for the fun fact. Maybe if I ever get a DR I'll swap the transformers just to see what happens.
*** EDIT: I found the post, it was a BROWNFACE DELUXE O.T. — NOT A PRINCETON O.T***
It might run hot. Neil Young's amp tech runs a fan on his Deluxe. They are running it biased for higher output tubes and they're also purposely stressing the rectifier (and OT?) by loading down the second channel, though, so maybe the Princeton transformer would be cool if everything else were stock.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the transformer, but I seem to remember it was not a Princton Reverb transformer, just a Princeton transformer (non-reverb), and it was an old one — either a tweed or brownface.
Last edited by guitarzan on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cprompt wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 pm
quintosardo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pmHere it is: our upcoming online market for IR2s, our extended format for IRs. An independent plugin lets us load them (or load simple IRs, too, tuning the model to them).
Looking pretty cool! You might've mentioned this but where will these IRs / IR2s come from? Who will be creating them?
We as the first producer. Who wants to get into it as other producers. The voting system and the payment/download formula will make best ones justice.

guitarzan wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm ... there is a lot of info on Neil Young's rig online — I can dig it up later if you're interested.
Tips always extremely welcome, as this amp (and the future ones) are here to be expanded in our upcoming custom shop (e.g. new output transformers for Deluxe1).

Tube vibrato: yes, looks like the stereo mode has the two channels out of LFO phase (so going one up, one down).

This "parts" thing is extremely inetersting, as we work on components (as opposed to a "black box" sampling or module-tuning approach) so the amp actually works as a test bench.

I guess some mismatch (like installing a "wrong" transformer) in these amps could explain some unique results.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 pm Took a punt (easy now....) and bought it. Nice, does a good jangle at the lower gain, and most importantly sounds good with the 12 string.

That registration process is a bit bonkers mind - install it, add the code on the website, then have to download it again?!? :o :help: Figured it out eventually, but bloody hell...
Thanks! It is actually very simple once you realize it is per-workstation, _not_ per product :D

guitarzan wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 am
It might run hot. Neil Young's amp tech runs a fan on his Deluxe. They are running it biased for higher output tubes and they're also purposely stressing the rectifier (and OT?) by loading down the second channel, though, so maybe the Princeton transformer would be cool if everything else were stock.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the transformer, but I seem to remember it was not a Princton Reverb transformer, just a Princeton transformer (non-reverb), and it was an old one — either a tweed or brownface.
We actually included the whole power supply in the model so we could have fun testing different rectifiers or settings. Interesting stuff.

We are closing the first high-gain one (Mesa Dual Rectifier) and then we'll be working on these custom options.

Return to “Effects”