NEW: Waves Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

In case you always wondered, what that ominous "TG Mastering Desk" was, that you could switch on in the AR Vinyl plugin, here it is:
A modular mastering chain plugin modeled after the EMI TG12410 Transfer Console used in all Abbey Road's mastering suites since the early '70s to this day. Use the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain to create custom processing chains with a flexible flow and the TG magic on the master bus, or on individual tracks/groups in a mixing session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0cWSUWriYM

However I find the 39$ introductory price quite steep :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

krabbencutter wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm However I find the 39$ introductory price quite steep :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
agree, what were they thinking? they can't charge these prices in this economy and when there's so much lower priced and quality competition around. will have to wait for sales.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Just installed the demo and had a look through the manual. It's basically the Abbey Road version of the Scheps Omni Channel. The fact that they also include Zero-Latency & Lower CPU Live components is nice, too. However I personally find the GUI a bit small on my 15" FullHD screen.

Is it as good as the softube modules?Doubt it a bit since waves never been top league in emulations but the prices are good.

lacandon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:38 pm Is it as good as the softube modules?Doubt it a bit since waves never been top league in emulations but the prices are good.
Not comparable imho. Softube's Abbey Road stuff are 3 fixed frequency Filters, whereas this is a complete modular channel strip with a full EQ, Dynamics and more. What I do find interesting though is, that there doesn't seem to be any coloration/drive included compared to their TG12345?

The softube was very nice plugin classy sounding if this is as good I.can buy it.Can't find native alternative of the uad neve 88rs which its scary good for electronic music.

I explored TG Mastering Chain with Plugin Doctor. It's interesting. I am unsure to the degree of real harmonics and noise on the modules other than the limiter - there appears to be a noise floor added but its very low around -150dB and there aren't any significant harmonics added over about -120dB. However then the limiter is engaged I get what looks like analogue harmonic distortion at around -80dB and a dynamic noise floor. The limiter even at 1:100 is actually quite shallow so its very soft limiting at best. I haven't done any meaningful listening test yet. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm there aren't any significant harmonics added over about -120dB. However then the limiter is engaged I get what looks like analogue harmonic distortion at around -80dB and a dynamic noise floor.
Can you post screenshots of that? Curious.
Confucamus.

plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm there appears to be a noise floor added but its very low around -150dB...
Denormal solution, here is an explanation; https://www.gvst.co.uk/gnormal_manual.htm

plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm I explored TG Mastering Chain with Plugin Doctor. It's interesting. I am unsure to the degree of real harmonics and noise on the modules other than the limiter - there appears to be a noise floor added but its very low around -150dB and there aren't any significant harmonics added over about -120dB. However then the limiter is engaged I get what looks like analogue harmonic distortion at around -80dB and a dynamic noise floor. The limiter even at 1:100 is actually quite shallow so its very soft limiting at best. I haven't done any meaningful listening test yet. :phones:
Lucky you, it crashes every time I try to load it into Plugindoctor (Win10 64bit).
Otoh I was able to take a look at Softube's Abbey Road Brilliance Pack and what can I say ... those are just some completely static filters. They might be good looking, have some well designed and useful filter shapes and a 'unique' workflow to them, but there is nothing magical or nonlinear at all. Not even in the one, where they claim to have modelled the transformer :o
Back to the TG 12548 (I'm sorry, what was the number again? :hihi: ), I'd be interested in whether the EQ & Filters are any different from the TG12345?

krabbencutter wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:06 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm I explored TG Mastering Chain with Plugin Doctor. It's interesting. I am unsure to the degree of real harmonics and noise on the modules other than the limiter - there appears to be a noise floor added but its very low around -150dB and there aren't any significant harmonics added over about -120dB. However then the limiter is engaged I get what looks like analogue harmonic distortion at around -80dB and a dynamic noise floor. The limiter even at 1:100 is actually quite shallow so its very soft limiting at best. I haven't done any meaningful listening test yet. :phones:
Lucky you, it crashes every time I try to load it into Plugindoctor (Win10 64bit).
Otoh I was able to take a look at Softube's Abbey Road Brilliance Pack and what can I say ... those are just some completely static filters. They might be good looking, have some well designed and useful filter shapes and a 'unique' workflow to them, but there is nothing magical or nonlinear at all. Not even in the one, where they claim to have modelled the transformer :o
Back to the TG 12548 (I'm sorry, what was the number again? :hihi: ), I'd be interested in whether the EQ & Filters are any different from the TG12345?
I'm interested in what the differences are from this to the TG12345 which I love.

Cooker wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm there appears to be a noise floor added but its very low around -150dB...
Denormal solution, here is an explanation; https://www.gvst.co.uk/gnormal_manual.htm
I have to say, analogue was a lot easier to work with than digital, from an audio engineering/studio standpoint. That is, in order to extract the best quality of either media, analogue or digital, I feel analgue was easier to work with. However I will tentatively agree that digital has the potential to sound better over-all. But trying to get there with digital is like pulling teeth. With analogue, you just turn it up! :phones:

I digress.... as for Plugin Doctor, I will just do a video because it's easier. stay tunned. on my list of things to do today. :party:

plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 pm
I digress.... as for Plugin Doctor, I will just do a video because it's easier. stay tunned. on my list of things to do today. :party:
Awesome, looking forward to it. Interested in the usuals.. cramping at Nyquist yes/no, Waves love affair with aliasing continues yes/no, etc :D

I'm interested in the fact that it allows running at 192khz, when most waves plugins top out at 96k. Wonder why.

A lot of waves plugins--like the eddie kramer collection, for example--add a strange sort of slightly stuffy 'jangling' sound in the higher register which i do not like. I wonder if this is different.

I cannot currently demo the plugin, myself, because after updating osx to mojave, waves central says that since i am currently running "os x version 0.00," i can't use waves central to do anything except manage licenses.

You'll have to manually download and install the new version of Waves Central for it to work under Mojave. Same thing happened to me and that's what I did.

Return to “Effects”