Reels - LoFi Reel-to-Reel + Tape Start/Stop FX - Update 1.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reels is a tape emulation plugin with built-in echo section and tape start/stop effect.

Based on an old Japanese portable tape recorder with a very distinct Lo-Fi analog sound, Reels emulates all the imperfections of consumer reel-to-reel recorders.

We have modeled three different 1/4” tape frequency responses and saturations, along with all the analog imperfections of tape recording/playback.

Reels will add a very rough retro analog sound to your mixes. If you are looking for a Hi-Fi mastering tape emulation, this is not the plugin for you!

Details
  • Price: $59 / €59 (VAT inc.)
  • Vintage Tape Emulation
  • Tape Start/Stop Effect
  • 3 Tape types
  • Echo Section
  • Speaker and Mic Emulation
  • Hiss and Motor noise with Envelope
  • 50 Presets
  • Preset randomizer
  • Formats: VST, VST3, AU, and AAX (64bit only!)
  • Minimum Requirements: OS X 10.9, Windows 7
SoundCloud Demo: https://soundcloud.com/audiothing/sets/reels
Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaF7Rm_aroM

Product Page: https://www.audiothing.net/effects/reels/
Last edited by audiothing on Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I LOVE it !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Most of the time tape emulations tend to distort the signal to "warm" the sound (and add noise and flutter of course). This one is not exactly this kind of plugin. It adds a serious lo-fi feeling : you lose all your bass and treble. Think iZotope Vinyl.

And the very, very, very good point is that you can make a perfect transition between your dry and wet signal, the balance is imho ideally preserved between the two states. :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

No way!

Today has been a big day of installing updates and new products. I am up to about 8 so far. I will check LoFi out but knowing me knowing you it will be purchase. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm I will check LoFi out but knowing me knowing you it will be purchase.
I see what you did there, Plex. I had no idea you were such an ABBA fan!

Very nice lofi plugin !
Congratulations for the release :)

jbarish wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm I will check LoFi out but knowing me knowing you it will be purchase.
I see what you did there, Plex. I had no idea you were such an ABBA fan!
Ah Ha! I was wondering if anyone would notice. There is nothing we can do. :phones:

Awesome stuff as always AudioThing :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

DJErmac wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 pm I LOVE it !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Most of the time tape emulations tend to distort the signal to "warm" the sound (and add noise and flutter of course). This one is not exactly this kind of plugin. It adds a serious lo-fi feeling : you lose all your bass and treble. Think iZotope Vinyl.

And the very, very, very good point is that you can make a perfect transition between your dry and wet signal, the balance is imho ideally preserved between the two states. :tu:
I'm glad you like it! Yes this plugin is 100% lo-fi oriented :) I have a few tape machines, including a Revox B77, but this little recorder is definitely way more fun to use IMHO.

plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pmToday has been a big day of installing updates and new products. I am up to about 8 so far. I will check LoFi out but knowing me knowing you it will be purchase. :phones:
sinkmusic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm Very nice lofi plugin !
Congratulations for the release :)
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 pm Awesome stuff as always AudioThing :)
Thanks a lot guys! :)

Intro price until?? :phones:

plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm Intro price until?? :phones:
October 31st :party:

Can this be used just for wow/flutter without other lofi degradation taking place?

j0hnny wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 am Can this be used just for wow/flutter without other lofi degradation taking place?
No, all 3 modes are far from transparent, this one is intended to be a LoFi processor.
It's easy if you know how

This looks fun, but as Johnny hints, bypassing all but the circuit you need would be a great option.
<List your stupid gear here>

We have modeled three different 1/4” tape frequency responses and saturations, along with all the analog imperfections of tape recording/playback.
Could you describe the modeling process here, and whether you used any metrics to determine the accuracy of the models? Thanks!
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Effects”