2CAudio Precedence | 1.5 | Move Out Of Flatland. Take Precedence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Beatworld wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 am Say you want to use Precedence with other reverbs which are set up on a send.
Do you put Precedence as an insert on the tracks you are sending to the Reverb Send, with the panning on those tracks centered ?
Yup. :tu:
Beatworld wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 am (the last insert?)
It depends what kind of inserts we are talking about.

EQ/Compression/Filter and things that don't effect spatial image can go before or after. It does not really matter.

If you are using spatial FX such as ping-pong delays, etc, it sort of depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want P to alter the image created by the delay then it should come after.

Distortion/amp etc: again either way could be interesting and would be different due to the nonlinear nature of the process.

Before reverb though... which would be automatic if the verb is on a send.

Thanks. :tu:

Andrew, Denis is/was Spin Audio is that not true?

Whatever happened to the 3D surround plugin, and can you please do one of those!?
I own it, and used it all the time when i was on Windows, I don't think it was ever released for Mac?
I don't think that suffered from any clicking artifacts, and it ran on my 400mHz CPU, so I'm sure you guys could knock-out a 3D auto-panner pretty easy!? He says... in theory...
Wish there was an OSX version anyway, i really miss those SpinAudio plugins sometimes.

sqigls wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:25 am Andrew, Denis is/was Spin Audio is that not true?
Yes, true, he was half of Spin Audio. They did really cool stuff at the time! :tu:

We'll see...

Experimenting with the combination of 2CAudio Precedence/Breeze 2.1 using a mallet sound (Falcon AIR) as audio input. Automatically linking the parameters distance/balance would be cool for a future update of both plug-ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21VACX_YrY

tip: click on the circle and then you can use keyboard's arrow keys to change angle and distance. holding down shift key will trigger 'fine-tuning' mode. note: it might not work in some hosts.

Denis,
2CAudio

Precedence is not something ultra exciting and novel to explore new sexy "never before sounds" like Kaleidoscope, for example.
This is what I'm finding. You don't hear anything earth shattering when using it - But you certainly miss it when you take it away. ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

So is it recommended to use mix or balance to achieve best results.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am So is it recommended to use mix or balance to achieve best results.
There is no hard rule about that per say. Using Precedence with Breeze's Balance mode is perfectly acceptable.

Using balance will itself add some extra sense of depth/distance also. If you want a very close sound, you should probably use the standard "mix" mode. Otherwise using Balance mode is perfectly fine and good and a great thing to try.

Really liking what i have been getting out of this so far but proper skint this month so
I am also happy to do a referral so any new customers and me can enjoy a $20 voucher
:tu: :tu:
PM Me
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

Andrew Souter wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 am

EQ/Compression/Filter and things that don't effect spatial image can go before or after. It does not really matter.
That depends a lot on the respective plugins and how you use them if these kinds of effects do that, no?

I often use stereo-settings on EQ, Comp, etc. on individual instruments in order to get a quasi-stereo image that makes sense in the mix. Especially the T-Racks plugins make that super easy.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm
Andrew Souter wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 am

That depends a lot on the respective plugins and how you use them if these kinds of effects do that, no?

I often use stereo-settings on EQ, Comp, etc. on individual instruments in order to get a quasi-stereo image that makes sense in the mix. Especially the T-Racks plugins make that super easy.
Well, yes, that's true if we are talking about stereo EQ etc where channels are processed differently. I guess that is a semi rare case statistically speaking though.

The primary rule is simply to put it before reverbs. The order of anything else is less important and more arbitrary/subjective.

btw, even the reverb rule could be broken for intentionally odd spatializaiton for electronic music purposes. Who knows, maybe it is a cool to take a stereo verb, feed it into P, use mid-side input mode to narrow it to 25-50%, and then position that... and maybe do in pairs where on is left and other is right... After-all, if we are talking about synths, they are not entirely natural to begin with.

I'm sure Simon and other sound design wizards will be abusing it soon enough in ways we never thought of. :wink:

Andrew Souter wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 am
jens wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm Nope, unfortunately not anywhere - only outside that big position circle, so fine-tuning is nigh impossible using this method.
Shift-click on the Position Randomize, will randomize 10% of the current values for Distance and Angle.

Variation Randomize will retain the position values, but create a new variation, which is probably something similar to micro changes to Position (Distance + Angle).

Shift-drag the circle-node will allow fine-tune changes -- but creates lots of updates very fast so this makes "crackles".
Unfortunately none of that really works for me if I want to (say) just specifically shift it a bit more left. The target circle is huge, so the area I can not simply click is huge too (it is more than 15% of any of the two dimensions, I think) and dragging the node does not really work at all here. So for me the only thing that really works in these cases is adjusting the value directly on top of the image UI.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

try Denis's notes:
2ca wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:23 am tip: click on the circle and then you can use keyboard's arrow keys to change angle and distance. holding down shift key will trigger 'fine-tuning' mode. note: it might not work in some hosts.

Denis,
2CAudio

Andrew Souter wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:44 pm Well, yes, that's true if we are talking about stereo EQ etc where channels are processed differently. I guess that is a semi rare case statistically speaking though.
Still a nice technique to add let's say more 3Dness to the mix though and so easy to do in the box.

Return to “Effects”