2CAudio Precedence | 1.5 | Move Out Of Flatland. Take Precedence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by TheSteven on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

aMUSEd was asking about should it come before or after Reverb and that is what I answered, directly. That one is easy to answer. Precedence -> Reverb.

For all the other examples you give, they are harder to answer. It's like asking if you see a unicorn in a black hole, should it be facing right or left? I don't know, is the most simple answer. I've never seen a unicorn in a black hole in the real world. ;-) None of the tools above are real-world acoustic phenomena, so there is not really anything to go on regarding "correctness". You just have to be creative and see which sounds better. If it sounds cool in the mix, it is cool.

that said, in the manual in the Input Width section, i do explicitly try to mention that if the source sound is already very wide, specifically in cases where there is lots of motion such as would be created by autopanners, delays, rotary speakers, output of synth/fx like Kaliedoscope, etc that "input width manipulation" mode is designed to help address these kind of circumstances. If the source sound is already jumping around all over the place, it can confuse the position some. So you would use Input Width Manipulation Input Mode, and use a lower value of the Input Width Slider, of say 25-50% or so, to narrow the input some, and then reposition it with P. This won't kill the various motion happening in the original, but it will allow it to have its own space some, so that if you have several such sounds in the mix they can all occupy their own unique position.

If you want to explore this, P should come AFTER such FX. i.e. P and then B should be last in the chain. That's the de facto norm suggestion. But it's not a hard rule.

I have not tried Waves' Reel ADT. Edit: I looked up what it was, so OK, its an "Artificial Double Tracking" plug. Cool, missed that one previously. Looks nice. So this does create some width. It falls into this nebulous territory where it could go either way, either before P or after P, as could dynamics and distortion processing. But perfectly fine to put it before, and could could tame it some with the Input Width Slider if needed.

also, btw, if your source sound is jumping around all over the place, and you want it to remain that way, simply using the default Direct Input Mode, and keep Angle at 0%. You can just use Distance to control its font/back depth while still retaining its original motion (and adding some addition subtle motion from P's modulation)

You might have mentioned this before but is Precedence going to work in a similar way with B2 in the future? Or Aether for that matter?

2CAudio "Revebs that sound like unicorns in a black hole" :tu:

plexuss wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:20 am 2CAudio "Revebs that sound like unicorns in a black hole" :tu:
:D
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 am You might have mentioned this before but is Precedence going to work in a similar way with B2 in the future? Or Aether for that matter?
It's on the wishlist, yes. :tu:

Andrew Souter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 pm aMUSEd was asking about should it come before or after Reverb and that is what I answered, directly. That one is easy to answer. Precedence -> Reverb.

For all the other examples you give, they are harder to answer. It's like asking if you see a unicorn in a black hole, should it be facing right or left? I don't know, is the most simple answer. I've never seen a unicorn in a black hole in the real world. ;-) None of the tools above are real-world acoustic phenomena, so there is not really anything to go on regarding "correctness". You just have to be creative and see which sounds better. If it sounds cool in the mix, it is cool.

that said, in the manual in the Input Width section, i do explicitly try to mention that if the source sound is already very wide, specifically in cases where there is lots of motion such as would be created by autopanners, delays, rotary speakers, output of synth/fx like Kaliedoscope, etc that "input width manipulation" mode is designed to help address these kind of circumstances. If the source sound is already jumping around all over the place, it can confuse the position some. So you would use Input Width Manipulation Input Mode, and use a lower value of the Input Width Slider, of say 25-50% or so, to narrow the input some, and then reposition it with P. This won't kill the various motion happening in the original, but it will allow it to have its own space some, so that if you have several such sounds in the mix they can all occupy their own unique position.

If you want to explore this, P should come AFTER such FX. i.e. P and then B should be last in the chain. That's the de facto norm suggestion. But it's not a hard rule.

I have not tried Waves' Reel ADT. Edit: I looked up what it was, so OK, its an "Artificial Double Tracking" plug. Cool, missed that one previously. Looks nice. So this does create some width. It falls into this nebulous territory where it could go either way, either before P or after P, as could dynamics and distortion processing. But perfectly fine to put it before, and could could tame it some with the Input Width Slider if needed.

also, btw, if your source sound is jumping around all over the place, and you want it to remain that way, simply using the default Direct Input Mode, and keep Angle at 0%. You can just use Distance to control its font/back depth while still retaining its original motion (and adding some addition subtle motion from P's modulation)
Thanks for the explanation - highly appreciated! :tu:

I somehow need to wrap my head around this and make lots of experiments.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I just did a two-mic amp-recording where I use slightly different distance and angle settings on both tracks (and of course Breeze following after it) and this way get a wonderful, rich, three dimensional sound. Amazing possibilities!!! :-D :hail: :-D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

@Andrew:
is there a way to upgrade to the everything bundle for customers already own several products?
I logged in and searched for an upgrade path but without success, the website and login area is very confusing,

jens wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:24 pm I just did a two-mic amp-recording where I use slightly different distance and angle settings on both tracks (and of course Breeze following after it) and this way get a wonderful, rich, three dimensional sound. Amazing possibilities!!! :-D :hail: :-D
Thanks Jens. :tu:

enCiphered wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm @Andrew:
is there a way to upgrade to the everything bundle for customers already own several products?
I logged in and searched for an upgrade path but without success, the website and login area is very confusing,
Yes, of course, we are happy to help. :tu: Please email us, so we can look up your account etc:

https://2caudio.com/support/contact

Thanks! Email sent

We did custom menus the past few days... here's two examples using various color prefs:

Full Res:

https://2caudio.com/sitecontent/product ... Menu01.png
https://2caudio.com/sitecontent/product ... Menu02.png

second image also shows Multi-Instance Editing...

Looking forward to the update launch - will be picking up Breeze, though I'm already getting great results with Precedence without the magical pairing. Breeze sounds great though so I'm going to have to grab it whilst it's still on sale.

Andrew Souter wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:19 pm We did custom menus the past few days... here's two examples using various color prefs:

Full Res:

https://2caudio.com/sitecontent/product ... Menu01.png
https://2caudio.com/sitecontent/product ... Menu02.png

second image also shows Multi-Instance Editing...
Overall design concept is very appealing but the menu text looks way too small.

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:03 pm Looking forward to the update launch - will be picking up Breeze, though I'm already getting great results with Precedence without the magical pairing. Breeze sounds great though so I'm going to have to grab it whilst it's still on sale.
great plan. :tu:

Return to “Effects”