Filters of Mass Destruction - audio demos

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure about mixed modes. I should mention that the output of my 258 clone is saw-like but it's not a perfect waveform at all (I did some mods which I think sound awesome but mangle the wave shapes).

The behavior of the resonance does seem to dependent on transients. I'm not sure what makes that happen but as I mentioned, you can get the filter to ring just by sending triggers to the trig input. It works great as a drum voice, without the need for an envelope.

It sure is a very clean filter when using conservative settings, high-end OPA opamps and THAT gain cells all the way through. But when you push it, it screams and growls. :)

Can I have an image or audio for your sawtooth? Is it this?

Here it is...

Image Image

note to self: I recreated the Serge lowpass frequency response curve by doing the following:

inverted signal mixed with highpassed signal with some resonance into a lowpass filter

Working on finalizing the filters (getting the frequency/resonance/chaos knobs to cause predictable and musical results). For Nobunaga, I hit a wall with the algorithm, I have to make some changes in order to get the resonance control to work (so you can go from normal filter resonance to the insane square waves resonance).

PS, I'm removing the "drive" knob from the UI. The input/output knobs will control drive as well as turning up the resonance will also have an effect of drive. Less knobs will ultimately make it easier to use / less choices to make.

In the future for FMD2 I might opt for a unique control scheme per filter which would make each one highly tweakable. That will only be possible if the algorithms become really polished, otherwise it will lead to tweaking the filters past musical usefulness (distorted/noisy/unusable mess). But maybe the simple control scheme will be the best for quick musical results.

Polevik-1 has a weird quirk where turning up the input signal and resonance some gives a nice bass boost.

For the official audio demo I plan on using only basic shapes for input: sawtooth / sinewave / square / tri / noise, and self-resonating FMD for fx ad percussion. Hopefully this will sound like juicy sonic mayhem with a lo fi circuit bent analog feel.

if nothing else you could put it on the amen break

(you don't have to, i only say this because—as someone who works with samples a lot—i would much prefer to hear what it does to complex signals)

ill make some demos with percussion and other sources as well as additional demo tracks.

Just discovered some very weird resonance shapes as I was polishing the filters with a new addition to the algorithm:

This reminds me of a tube style oscillator/resonator. I had to include one of these weird ones for the final filter list. I don't know what nation to put it under. I'm thinking I need a steam punk nation or something mad max esque for a collection of these weirdo filters. This "tube filter" sounds grungy, warm, and is highly quirky.

Filter dump! 5 new filters. The filter list is complete (I might add more bandpass and highpass filters before release).

Added these to the first post. Finally we have some bandpass filters (I've been doing lowpass exclusively so far). A lot of weird ones this time. Lots of quirks. Each filter has a wide range of timbres and behaviors accessible by exploring various combinations of the input level, resonance, and chaos amount. A lot of screams today, and some MOTM-485-style harmonic lokcing.

Britian confirmed! Wasp-inspired filters.

BREAKING NEWS! They call themselves the Marauders. Marauders are raiding US weapons facilities and building their own FMDs. This nation will feature weird tube-inspired sound and behavior.

Britian - Yellowjacket Bandpass
Aggressive resonant bandpass filter inspired by the EDP Wasp filter.
"We can stop the Russia-Germany alliance. This new weapon will send chills." —Commander <confidential, name removed>

Germany - Nosferatu Bandpass
A bandpass bretheren of Nachzerher filter, agressive, sharp, and biting like its name implies.
"Warning, radioactive leak in sector 4B, all non-essential personelle must evacuate facility until further notice." —Warning system, weapons manufacturing facility

Maruaders - Junk Tube Bandpass
Tube-inspired bandpass filter, highly quirky and unpredictable with medium harmonic locking.
"We have enough stolen parts to make our own control rods." —Radio commnication, 5:30am, Kaibab National Forest.

Marauders - Junk Tube Lowpass
Tube-inspired lowpass filter with a strange resonance waveshape and strong harmonic locking.
"Our raid proved to be highly successful. We have plans for a prototype filter core." —Radio communication, unkown origin near Rocky Mountain, Colorado.

Russia - Полевик-0 (Polevik-0) Bandpass
A cleaner polivoks-inspired sound but in bandpass form.
"Our engineers have stabilized the filter core and created a small but useful counterpart to the Polevik series." —<name removed>, head engineer of weapons research
Last edited by Architeuthis on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some ideas:

:tu:

filter selection mockup:

Would be nice to also have a simplified "collapsed" list for fast selection as well as simple up/dn buttons on the main interface.

Yay!

I'm the most pathetic developer. I'm getting excited that I have knobs moving.

I need to put PrettyScope in the center display. I will also need a switch to use a different scope in case your GPU is not compatible or in the case of retina displays which have that 1/4 canvas issue until that is solved.

The filter selection menu is a little high-contrast right now—bright big blocks of colour and white lines on pure black—It'd be hard to look at for long periods of time.

sleepcircle wrote:The filter selection menu is a little high-contrast right now—bright big blocks of colour and white lines on pure black—It'd be hard to look at for long periods of time.
Just a mockup by me! I have a paid UI artist who will make sure it's good in the end.

Never seen so many snowflakes under one thread.

I love filters so I look forward to this.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Effects”