Filters of Mass Destruction - audio demos

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I tinker away and learn more how my algorithm works to create various filter behaviors, the more I feel like I can copy any filter just by ear and eye (listening to the filter / looking at the waveform). And I'm seeing where I can improve the algorithm as well to make it easier to use. One day I bet anyone could learn to make digital filters the way I do it, and create their own perfect analog-style filter. One day maybe I'll create a "audio plugin / digital filter breadboard system" where it's easy to design your own filter, complete with teaching material. I first need to become an expert... it will take some years for that.

Could you demonstrate it with some other sound sources than an oscillator?

Xenakios wrote:Could you demonstrate it with some other sound sources than an oscillator?
Xen, xen... let... let met... let... let me just finish up the filter list first! I like to spread the word on what I'm doing before it's very ready and polished (sorry)... there's a lot to do still after I finish the list.

Give me a suggestion and I'll see what I can do! What filter, what sound source? My brain is too saturated to be more creative than single pitch low frequency sawtooth.

They don't call it Xtreme for nothing. Germany ain't messin' around.

Code: Select all

Germany unveils their latest FMD, a great threat to the UK and the world.
Germany - Nachzerher
- Based on A-106-1 Xtreme filter, exhibits light harmonic locking, a seductive bubbly sound with rectified-sine-like resonance.
"The new filter core is ready. Prepare for the next phase." —unscrambled radio signal, Germany, location unknown
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like weird and aggressive filters. I'll keep an eye on this one.

And I don't think the marketing is a problem, I like the cold war theme.

Ok another dev journal entry. I'm starting to see the big picture. I stumbled upon a filter design that is essentially Polivoks (chaotic behavior) + MS-20/Nobunaga (timbre):

Polivoks MS20 style 1

This one does not exhibit harmonic locking like MS-20... that could be done as well:

Polivoks MS20 style 2

I also stumbled upon some parameters that allows for engineering chaotic resonance further. I found two interesting behaviors, one where the waveform changes chaotically:

Chaotic resonance style 1

and another where the pitch of the resonance sounds like a pich decay envelope is randomly being applied:

Chaotic resonance style 2

I'm still working on getting a nice Polivoks sound... it would help if I had a video or audio clips exploring/detailing its behavior.

Edit: I have to include this bonus meme exploration!

bizzare two-tone chaotic resonance

I stumbled upon this filter design among experiments I made a few years ago. I don't even remember creating this. I'll have to include this in FMD after some additional tweaking (it's sounding a bit too harsh at the moment).
Last edited by Architeuthis on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Woah! Upon exploring the design of the "bizzaro 2-tone filter" I stumbled upon a starting point for one of my favorite analog filters! MOTM-485, which I totally forgot about because I didn't have any clues for how to recreate its defining character. This is a clone of the Yamaha GX-1 filter, and was specifically designed to be cheap as GX-1 used a lot them.

See video for the classic MOTM-485 sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5h7BZaaL3A

Here's the result: First attempt at MOTM-485 (2 different styles)

The mechanism that causes the bizzaro filter to rapidly switch between frequencies must have something to do with the captivating sound of the MOTM-485's aggressive harmonic locking... like... the switching mechanism allows the resonance to lock on to one more harmonics at once, causing that definitive "intermodulation" sound. This is harmonic locking on steroids.

I also stumbled upon a Bi-N-Tic kinda sound using the MOTM-485 attempt as a starting point: I think this sounds like a Bi-N-Tic (audio demos for the original are difficult to come by, will post once I find them)

Seems cool. Any hint at the price range? :phones:

$50 to $100

I'm getting sidetracked by my obsession with creating a MOTM-485 clone. It has required a totally different approach to filter design. Getting this one right could lead to more quirky / circuit-bent-sounding / tweakable / organic filters.

What about something with similar behavior to the Serge VCFQ? Since you are interested in chaotic behavior, what about a model of Ian Fritz' Threeler filter? I have also heard great things about Jurgen Haible's Varislope filter.
I'm interested in models of filters which haven't been covered much before. We've seen lots of Moog transistor ladders and salen-key topologies, even some OTA based filters and diode ladders modeled.

I think you should release a version now, carry on your development and release a v2 when its all ready
Amazon: why not use an alternative

f***, VariKusBrainZ, you're right.

You know what would be fun is if I released the current filter list and then I can get feedback from users for what to do next. I'll add the Nobunaga/Polevik hybrid filter for Russia and that will be that.
justin3am wrote:What about something with similar behavior to the Serge VCFQ? Since you are interested in chaotic behavior, what about a model of Ian Fritz' Threeler filter? I have also heard great things about Jurgen Haible's Varislope filter.
I'm interested in models of filters which haven't been covered much before. We've seen lots of Moog transistor ladders and salen-key topologies, even some OTA based filters and diode ladders modeled.
justin3am, want to say this for the record: My approach to creating these filters is using ears and eyes, and not by studying how the circuit works, although as I get more into it I feel like getting a few tips on how the circuit works might help. My "shooting in the dark" method is great, takes hours of experimentation, and I stumble upon every weird possibility because of it, so I am building a repertoire in my head of "this is how you get this behavior, that behavior, that tone, that waveshape." Unfortunately this means I need to ask y'all to be satisfied with my approximations to filters getting better over time. The upside is that you will get a ton of variations on a theme and I'd be surprised if you don't find a filter you really like as much as your favorites.

That being said, justin3am can you help me out by posting audio/video that will help me get a feel of what you want? Point out the timbre/waveshape/behavior that you're looking for. I don't have experience with these filters so I might miss the thing/behavior/tone you are after.

I can't yet promise to clone all of a filter's features, for example, I can't imagine how I'd do a varislope filter PLUS capture some analog goodness, that's beyond the scope of my project at the moment, but I imagine I will figure it out in the future.

Thanks. I understand, getting things to sound as you want by ear is an important skill I think. It's easy to get caught up in all the math, when what is important, is the sound. ;)
Here is a video demonstration of the R*S version of the Serge VCFQ, which I built:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8oIxeIkjo

In the video, I specifically mention the tendency for the filter to clip, when the cutoff frequency is at harmonics of the input signal. I should also note that the filter will not self-oscillate unless an output is patched back in a feedback loop. However, the filter will ring, when using the 'Trig' input (as shown toward the end of the video). It's a fantastic filter with a unique character.
Last edited by justin3am on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haha justin3am I spent many frustrating hours specifically trying to create a clean filter sound while avoiding that harmonic-dependent clipping (the Flower Child filter is a result of this). Now you want me to specifically allow that! hAHA Challenge accepted. Putting this Serge filter on my todo list.

Here's my analysis after downloading your video:

Return to “Effects”