---

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midi_transmission wrote:
chk071 wrote:
midi_transmission wrote: It would be very cool is this could be enhanced in the future.
Although i disagree with what you wrote (i find that Replika sounds fantastic), your description seems a bit vague. You write that the modulation/character sounds a bit "weak", and that delay modes have a "small sweet spot", and sound "dull". I doubt that any developer could do something with that. It just doesn't say anything.

You're right chk071. It's vague. I try to give better examples later. But I think it's a ok rough characterization for a week point, or let's say a point were echoboy is really better.
If you have some specific examples, I’m happy to hear them. I’m quite interested to hear what bothers you, as we’ve had a lot of very positive feedback about the Replika style modes and almost no negative. Probably better to PM me tho so we don’t go off-topic in this thread.

FWIW, i couldn't be happier about Replika's sound...

chk071 wrote:FWIW, i couldn't be happier about Replika's sound...
+1
Rsp
sound sculptist

julian_NI wrote:
midi_transmission wrote:
chk071 wrote:
midi_transmission wrote: It would be very cool is this could be enhanced in the future.
Although i disagree with what you wrote (i find that Replika sounds fantastic), your description seems a bit vague. You write that the modulation/character sounds a bit "weak", and that delay modes have a "small sweet spot", and sound "dull". I doubt that any developer could do something with that. It just doesn't say anything.

You're right chk071. It's vague. I try to give better examples later. But I think it's a ok rough characterization for a week point, or let's say a point were echoboy is really better.
If you have some specific examples, I’m happy to hear them. I’m quite interested to hear what bothers you, as we’ve had a lot of very positive feedback about the Replika style modes and almost no negative. Probably better to PM me tho so we don’t go off-topic in this thread.
Replika XT is one of my top 3 delays, and I certainly reach for it before EchoBoy.

One little thing though - the filter clips on high resonance settings (and the resonance doesn't sound that great either).

I got the Modulation plugins, I didn’t mind them actually. I quite like having the flexible choice in tonality in the one plugin. These certainly are very tempting to get.

My trouble is I’m trying to be a good boy and stop spending money on plugins unless it’s an upgrade!! This is a painful decision. Haha!!

They are all infected with latency. Just sayin'
(yes, i bought it..)
- WonderEcho -

Klinke1 wrote:They are all infected with latency. Just sayin'
(yes, i bought it..)
They have approx 16 samples latency because of the filter kernel used for oversampling. Is such a small latency an issue? A smaller kernel would mean you have more aliasing. Curious about your use-case :)

Real-time audio-proccess..
It's small enough, so that i bought it.
(when you stack some fx it can sum/raise up pretty fast)

(edit: If i buy a distortion.. i don't want it to be a delay-fx :party:)
- WonderEcho -

julian_NI wrote:
midi_transmission wrote:
chk071 wrote:

I hope my comment was not understood ungracious. I was a bit in a hurry and maybe have written a bit unkindly. Sorry in case it came up like this.

Sure I will try to give you some specific examples via PM at the weekend. Very nice to have you here and thanks for sharing some knowledge about your plugins, julian_NI!

lnikj wrote: One little thing though - the filter clips on high resonance settings (and the resonance doesn't sound that great either).
Yes it's had this from the start, it would be even better if this was fixed and the filter was improved, it's the only real weak point it has imho.

I love this distortion effect Pack....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2oBWaTPAA

:tu:

julian_NI wrote:
(yes, i bought it..)
They have approx 16 samples latency because of the filter kernel used for oversampling. Is such a small latency an issue? A smaller kernel would mean you have more aliasing. Curious about your use-case :)
I have to come back to that..

16 samples latency because of oversampling?

I run at 96kHz and 128 samples latency..dude.
Why is the oversampling not turned off in my case, resulting in zero latency?

Btw my PC and DAW runs with latency to give YOU the time you need... You should not use more..

What's your use-case..btw..just curious?
- WonderEcho -

Klinke1 wrote:
julian_NI wrote:
(yes, i bought it..)
I have to come back to that..

16 samples latency because of oversampling?

I run at 96kHz and 128 samples latency..dude.
Why is the oversampling not turned off in my case, resulting in zero latency?

Btw my PC and DAW runs with latency to give YOU the time you need... You should not use more..

What's your use-case..btw..just curious?
Dirt and Freak run at higher than 96kHz, so they'd still need oversampling with your settings.

Soundcard buffer latency is a totally separate thing. It's not some resource we can use. It's needed so that the CPU has some flexibility in when to schedule the processing. The plugin has no control over this.

All DSP beyond a simple gain change or mapping introduces latency. We're not being wasteful with it, we've used the minimum possible to get the sound we wanted. I just did a quick comparison between Dirt, Decapitator and The Scream, and Dirt has bit less latency than both for default settings. The Scream can get down into the same range and slightly lower if you enable the minimum-phase up and downsampling filters. I understand that latency is important, and we'll continue to try to bring it down. There's limits to what is possible though, and I'm sure other developers would tell you the same.

aMUSEd wrote:
lnikj wrote: One little thing though - the filter clips on high resonance settings (and the resonance doesn't sound that great either).
Yes it's had this from the start, it would be even better if this was fixed and the filter was improved, it's the only real weak point it has imho.
It shouldn't clip when you're using Modern or Diffusion styles. The others will because they're nonlinear.

We've definitely noted this complaint for the future though. During development we tried using a nonlinear version of the filter which had nicer resonance behaviour, but then people complained about the repeats being coloured. I guess if I was revisiting in the future I'd either give the option of both, or make the filter nonlinear and clearly mark it as an analog model so that people wouldn't be unhappy about the colouration. Or just restrict the resonance values so you can't get into that territory :hihi:

julian_NI wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
It shouldn't clip when you're using Modern or Diffusion styles. The others will because they're nonlinear.

We've definitely noted this complaint for the future though. During development we tried using a nonlinear version of the filter which had nicer resonance behaviour, but then people complained about the repeats being coloured. I guess if I was revisiting in the future I'd either give the option of both, or make the filter nonlinear and clearly mark it as an analog model so that people wouldn't be unhappy about the colouration. Or just restrict the resonance values so you can't get into that territory :hihi:
Problem is, and I can see this in the factory presets and had to do the same for my Replikators bank, is you have to tread pretty carefully using those models with high resonance and consequently people are steering away from really using it creatively which is a shame. An option would be good.

Return to “Effects”