best flanger in 2018

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dubguy99 wrote:
s28 wrote:
dubguy99 wrote:
The Chase wrote:
ChamomileShark wrote:I've also been a bit disappointed with software chorus, flangers and phasers
+1. I consider it one of the very few remaining categories where a significant gap remains between analog and digital. Especially with phasers. Weirdly enough I think software does a really good job with chorus, but big unsubtle flanger/phaser sounds struggle.

I like how a good analog phaser doesn't require a bunch of stages or feedback to get a good sound; you get a real full creamy sound from 4 or even 2 stages with a touch of feedback. Most software I find myself cranking it to 8 or 12 for a good sound. Not the same.
Try the Softube Fix Phaser, it's ridicously CPU intensive for a phaser (10% with Live on my i5) but it sounds sooooo creamy and 'real' for the lack of a better word. D16's Fazortan is also very nice, not as 'real' as the softube but still very thick and creamy, despite being a bit older (and luckily, not nearly as CPU intensive). For my money these are the two creamiest and thickest and I've tried virtually every analog-style VST phaser. The Yamaha vintage pack phasers are also fairly nice but the emulations are a bit slavish for my taste (no dry/wet control?)

And oh yeah, despite being ancient, PhaseMistress can sound fairly thick and lush at low stages but it has a fairly small sweetspot, you need the right combination of polarity settings, feedback, center freq, res stages and phase stages, otherwise it sounds very small and tinny like most of the presets.

I haven't tried the softube one, I won't demo it atm as I'm stopping buying things for a while - but have you tried admiral qualitys stunning phaser? Such a good effect and sound very real as well.
I did try it, it's not bad but I'm just not really vibing with it for some reason.
Vibes with me! Love it!! :love: Goes great on Polyana too!

Russell Grand wrote:
ChamomileShark wrote:I've also been a bit disappointed with software chorus, flangers and phasers (although hardware phasers vary alot) - I suspect that's because I've got hardware versions and somehow they don't sound the same.
It's true, modulator plugs just don't cut it compared to hardware.
What hardware do you think is better than plug ins? Genuine question as I am looking to get some (a decent flanger particularly). I will definitely be checking out these:
metalifuxx wrote: Boss BF-2
Moore Elec Lady/Donner Jet Convolution
Longamp Roxanne

suthnear wrote:I am looking to get some (a decent flanger particularly).
Classic analog flanger pedal I have and sounds gorgeous: MXR Flanger

Boss BF-2 is my favorite as well. It has 3 or 4 internal trimpots that can take it from well-mannered to truly deranged. It's one of the few modulation pedals I've used that doesn't kill a bass guitar's punch.

MXR Flanger is key to the classic Eddie Van Halen guitar sound, and the A/DA Flanger is a good one too.
suthnear wrote: What hardware do you think is better than plug ins? Genuine question as I am looking to get some (a decent flanger particularly). I will definitely be checking out these:
metalifuxx wrote: Boss BF-2
Moore Elec Lady/Donner Jet Convolution
Longamp Roxanne

bbtr wrote:
midi_transmission wrote:Maybe my judgement is wrong?
Again, they would destroy the criterion by reasoning of this kind. Even the criterion has either been critically determined or not. If it has not, it is definitely untrustworthy, and in its purpose of distinguishing is no more true than false. If it has, it will belong to the class of particular judgements, so that one and the same thing determines and is determined, and the criterion which has determined will have to be determined by another, that other by another, and so on ad infinitum. [95] In addition to this there is disagreement as to the criterion, some holding that man is the criterion, while for some it is the senses, for others reason, for others the apprehensive presentation. Now man disagrees with man and with himself, as is shown by differences of laws and customs. The senses deceive, and reason says different things. Finally, the apprehensive presentation is judged by the mind, and the mind itself changes in various ways. Hence the criterion is unknowable, and consequently truth also.
Yeah, um... i'm with this guy ^

Ok, I just bought a BF2. I will compare it to the various plugins I have and report back...

I like Ubermod, mainly because it's so flexible and can seamlessly go from delay to chorus to flanger to reverb to weird hellscape and back without problems.

I just wish there was some kind of "2TapInPhase" mode or something. It would be really useful for flangers actually.

Reason's half rack flanger is criminally under rated.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

nobody mentioned the rob papen modulation plugin yet...any lovers/haters?

v1o wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm Reason's half rack flanger is criminally under rated.
True, I've gotten crazy results on drums. My current favorite flanger plugin is Valhalla Space Modulator.

I think the good old Waves MondoMod ...sounds really good.

I remember years ago i tried MetaFlanger (think that is the name?) from Waves and i thought it sounded quite good.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I'm quite fond of D16 Antresol.

Yes Antresol is sweet.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

IK announces Dimebag Darrell CFH
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/dimebag/

This one looks very interesting.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”