Ohmboyz Infinity

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OhmBoyz

I must say that I'm kind of burned out on the Ohmies. Still have a sour taste in my mouth when I realized that I ohn (sorry, couldn't resist) Ohmicide... but not the 64 bit version. That'll cost me another $20. I kind of feel that sucks. Yes. Suck. Definitely suck. Is there any other developer that makes you pay extra for a 64 bit version? Also, paying a fee for both Mac and Windows licenses?

Sorry, mon frères. I think your software is interesting, but your business practices are not for me. Not with that glacial development rate. I see that you actually have to pony up money to be annoyed by an alpha state plugin? Ridicule.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 pm I must say that I'm kind of burned out on the Ohmies. Still have a sour taste in my mouth when I realized that I ohn (sorry, couldn't resist) Ohmicide... but not the 64 bit version. That'll cost me another $20. I kind of feel that sucks. Yes. Suck. Definitely suck. Is there any other developer that makes you pay extra for a 64 bit version? Also, paying a fee for both Mac and Windows licenses?

Sorry, mon frères. I think your software is interesting, but your business practices are not for me. Not with that glacial development rate. I see that you actually have to pony up money to be annoyed by an alpha state plugin? Ridicule.
Indeed, I have to agree with you on this. Not sure what's the deal with that strange business model & way of doing plugin development (after such a long hiatus) but with the solid & more young developers such as Valhalla, Unfiltered Audio, Audiority, Melda, just to know a few here, I am not sure it's the best route to take for them, unfortunately. Long gone the days Ohm Force was the reference, competition is very, very rough now.

I bought with the wrong card because of a bug in PayPal and I've been trying to get a hold of these guys for ages. Sent 3 emails to no avail.

I just want to rebuy it with the proper card. :help:

I've been sitting on a license for ages not even installed it yet :(

Now I come here and I see there is total radio silence. Oh well live and learn I guess only buy finished products :dog:

I suspect what has happened here is that there was much less interest in this product than Ohmforce hoped and they have received very little funding towards finishing it. They didn't go the kickstarter route of trying to determine whether there was sufficient interest before taking any money but rather staked their reputation on being able to deliver the finished product. A rather invidious position to be on...

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 pm I must say that I'm kind of burned out on the Ohmies. Still have a sour taste in my mouth when I realized that I ohn (sorry, couldn't resist) Ohmicide... but not the 64 bit version. That'll cost me another $20. I kind of feel that sucks. Yes. Suck. Definitely suck. Is there any other developer that makes you pay extra for a 64 bit version? Also, paying a fee for both Mac and Windows licenses?

Simply move along. :shrug:

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 am

Moved.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I paid to get 64-bit versions of Da Hornet, the Korg Legacy series, and GForce stuff (haven’t finished getting those GForce upgrades, either). Not fond of this.

Agreed on hating separate licenses for different platforms.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Fond memories of Ohmforce, but now I prefer clean UIs. Now I use D16 Tekturon for the more traditional delays and Unfiltered Audio Sandman Pro/Byome for the fun stuff. No itch left for Ohm, but time will tell. And to tell it in a neutral way, I don't get their website artwork. :?:

:pray: yesterday i emailed a bug report and inquired about an update.

it crashes everything and doesn't pass au eval in logic. hopefully i'll hear back sooner or later..

not gonna hold my breath but i'll post any reply i get here.

i still think the way to go as a company was to update all the existing plugs and fix the gui issues etc and then announced the new thing.. but what do i know.. i've never done a thing in this world.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 am

Moved.
:clap:

suthnear wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 am I suspect what has happened here is that there was much less interest in this product than Ohmforce hoped and they have received very little funding towards finishing it. They didn't go the kickstarter route of trying to determine whether there was sufficient interest before taking any money but rather staked their reputation on being able to deliver the finished product. A rather invidious position to be on...
I do think you're spot-on about this.

Unforeseen circumstances? They can't just disappear - they are a business and continue to sell other plugins; and they've taken forward payments from many people for this one. If this was a fraud, the police would be after them soon, and they'd have to reimburse, and close the business - who would do that, come on?

Cost of development - how expensive can it be to code a delay, you think? You don't start and run a business if you don't have money; you don't start a new project, if you don't have enough money to finish it - are they stupid, come on!

Let's have some faith in their good intention, wait and see what happens. Hopefully they'll reappear and deliver a final product.

Edit: After a fresh look at their site, in the Contact detail section, I found this:
So if you feel grumpy today, go ahead and drop them a line! :tu:

Is there an official word on this, or just speculation?

OhmBoyz was my first VST, running on BeOS in the late 90’s. I later purchased it once I got a Windows PC a couple years later, and did whatever upgrade was needed to use it in whatever I wanted (maybe in 2001 it made more sense to have a platform/host based license, but not anymore).

I use OhmBoyz in every project, so I hope this isn’t a looming end of OhmForce as a company. I was hoping to buy Infinity as a way to support a company that makes such a crucial plugin for my music.

suthnear wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 am I suspect what has happened here is that there was much less interest in this product than Ohmforce hoped and they have received very little funding towards finishing it. They didn't go the kickstarter route of trying to determine whether there was sufficient interest before taking any money but rather staked their reputation on being able to deliver the finished product. A rather invidious position to be on...
I have the feeling that they went all out on their collaborative daw, and perhaps it didn't prove as successful as they'd envisaged. This might have left them without the funds to invest in developing other projects, or at least a feeling that the risk was not worth taking. This could easily have informed their choice of using pre-orders (also, initially going in at a not-too-appealing price-point), which doesn't seem to have really caught the imagination of users who are over-saturated in alternative options.

If this is the case, I truly feel for them. However, this lack of contact and ignoring of emails is not the way to deal with anything. It's clear from people's comments that the Ohmies are still regarded highly, based on their history. It would be a real shame for an incident like this, in the eleventh-hour, to tarnish their reputation, and end up being the thing they are remembered for :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 pm
Indeed! I also get the feeling that they went all out on their collaborative daw, and perhaps it didn't prove as successful as they'd envisaged. This might have left them without the funds to invest in developing other projects, or at least a feeling that the risk was not worth taking. This could easily have informed their choice of using pre-orders (also, initially going in at a not-too-appealing price-point), which doesn't seem to have really caught the imagination of users who are over-saturated in alternative options.

If this is the case, I truly feel for them. However, this lack of contact and ignoring of emails is not the way to deal with anything. It's clear from people's comments that the Ohmies are still regarded highly, based on their history. It would be a real shame for an incident like this, in the eleventh-hour, to tarnish their reputation, and end up being the thing they are remembered for :shrug:

Return to “Effects”