Tape Emulation roundup

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road - J37 Tape

:D so I would like to know how many options are available to transform my DAW into a tape machine :lol: Over the holidays I want to try them all :hihi: I'm aware of Reelbus, Satin, Roundtone, Airwindows Emus. I own and love Satin and the Airwindows ones but what is else out there? Win 64 bit preferred. TIA
rabbit in a hole

airwindows and Nebula are the best.

The "noisiness" of tape sound can be exaggerated and tuned by mixing in some light atmosphere such as a nature ambience or traffic noise or something. When it's lightly mixed in it can give the impression of being "tape noise", rather than what it really is.

I really like Softube Tape and it's probably my most used native tape plugin. I also like the UAD Ampex ATR-102, but that's limited to their platform. A lot of people like Slate VTM as well, but I haven't used it much.

Goodhertz Wow Control, ToneBoosters Ferox, Voxengo CRTIV Tape Bus too.

I mostly use Airwindows (just discovered TapeDust - wow!) or the "Tape Saturation" in ToneBoosters Barricade 4.
Last edited by Winstontaneous on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

there are also the Waves Audio tape emulations - but wait until they turn up at $29.

If you have Reaktor there are a number of ensembles for that. NI just brought out a list which includes VHS tape too.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I like Softube Tape, another couple for the list would be Overloud Tapedesk and Black Rooster Magnetite.

*Just noticed Magnetite is 50% off with code SPRINGSALE_CW14 until April 7th.

I really like Softube tape I used Slate Digital Virtual Tape machine. The Softube one sounds smoother.

I think rather than go for the most accurate, demo them all and choose the one you think makes your music sound the best.

heyheycnv wrote:Image
Just re-discovered this plug in my folder. Has been fantastic for smoothing out hihat transients that I was having some trouble with. Nicely removed the `hashiness` and got them to sit better with the rest of the beat. Could just nudge the input drive to get the transients where I wanted them.

Will be shooting out with some other tape plugs now for sure.

4tune wrote:
heyheycnv wrote:Image
Just re-discovered this plug in my folder. Has been fantastic for smoothing out hihat transients that I was having some trouble with. Nicely removed the `hashiness` and got them to sit better with the rest of the beat. Could just nudge the input drive to get the transients where I wanted them.

Will be shooting out with some other tape plugs now for sure.
Very underrated plugin developer.

I use a lot of their stuff.

i don't really like waves' tape emulation. it doesn't have much "sparkle" and there's a weird impression i get of a kind of crinkly unpleasantness somewhere up in the upper register. i haven't used any of the others to compare but u-he satin is really REALLY good.

Last edited by s28 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airwindows ToTape 5, FromTape, IronOxide 5 and IronOxide Classic. VOS FerricTDS too.

Don't forget McDsp Analog Channel 2.

I rarely use them these days and sometimes mixes sound much better without them. But if I have to use it, it would either Softube Tape or Slate VTM.

Return to “Effects”