Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

Thanks Ploki for the notes on usage! Can't wait to do more testing with it.

BTW, the "manual" agrees with your observation regarding discovering faults in the mix:

"The main equaliser graph display provides you with real-time information about the processing that Gullfoss performs. You can use this graph to understand the problems that Gullfoss is trying to deal with in your signal. For example, if you observe that the frequencies above 4 kHz are consistently lifted by around 6 dB, then you can implement this as a change in your mix to improve the sound independently of Gullfoss."
Last edited by SparkySpark on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Ploki wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am yes, but you will be only be able to activate the mac version after the introductory price period has been over.
most plugins upon their release have a short period of "introductory pricing", and Win version of Gullfoss is treated as such.
Because Mac version already had an introductory version last year for discount, Sound Theory is trying to discourage Mac buyers to take advantage of Windows version introductory pricing by limiting their ability to activate a discounted license during the introductory period.

Are you 1000% sure about this? I don't trust anything regarding ilok. The license code normally works cross-platform? Since I have no use at all for a windows version.

Note to all prospective buyers (especially Mac users): Gullfoss is normally available for a 50 % discount for academic users, i.e. the same as the current Win price but less expensive than the current Mac price.

That said, according to the website you cannot get 50 % off the discounted price (which seems fair), so 99 bucks is the lowest price.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:32 am

Are you 1000% sure about this? I don't trust anything regarding ilok. The license code normally works cross-platform? Since I have no use at all for a windows version.
https://www.soundtheory.com/support
How does this affect the pricing of the Mac version of Gullfoss?

In general, a license for Gullfoss can be used on a Mac or Windows version (once Windows is released). But during Windows early access there will be one caveat. Any user can purchase a license for $99, but the half-price licenses will not be able to be used on Mac until we are out of early access. This means that you will not be able to use your $99 license on Mac for a period of a few months. You will, however, be able to purchase a license which can be used on Mac for a 20% discounted price of $159 during Windows early access.
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 am Thanks Ploki for the notes on usage! Can't wait to do more testing with it.

BTW, the "manual" agrees with your observation regarding discovering faults in the mix:

"The main equaliser graph display provides you with real-time information about the processing that Gullfoss performs. You can use this graph to understand the problems that Gullfoss is trying to deal with in your signal. For example, if you observe that the frequencies above 4 kHz are consistently lifted by around 6 dB, then you can implement this as a change in your mix to improve the sound independently of Gullfoss."
neat :D
but be aware - if the correction looks like a shelf it might mean that your mix is either bright or very bassy - which can both be fine if it's a conscious choice.
But yeah, on very balanced mixes i tried it on, gullfoss generally did next to nothing (+/-2dB) even when pushed to 100%.

But yeah, on very balanced mixes i tried it on, gullfoss generally did next to nothing (+/-2dB) even when pushed to 100%.
That's why we need to be able to "zoom in" a little - so we can see what the smaller changes are.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:27 pm
That's why we need to be able to "zoom in" a little - so we can see what the smaller changes are.
i agree, +/-24dB is too extreme for majority of use cases

Hey guys i bought this and now im testin it more and more on various Materials. Dunno but so far i seem to like it more than unfilter, less cpu intense and more/easier controls but no final result.

In my mixes i wouldnt use more than +/- 3 to 6 db. But on mixes i dont have any stems etc how far would you go? I guess over +/- 6 db would be too heavy? What are your experiences? Of course it depends on the material.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I must admit, I haven't looked at the meters really.
I just end up with either tame or recover at 30%-ish and the other one a bit lower.
On drums you can go higher I find, but on full mixes that's about my limit.

Excellent tool though. I use it on pretty much all busses, and sometimes on individual tracks too.

Is it known when the Window pre-release period will be over? :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:11 pm Is it known when the Window pre-release period will be over? :phones:
On another forum one of the devs said to expect approximately two months from the initial release date to leave early access.

So just to update with what I found. Below is from an earlier post taken from the Soundtheory FAQ. Also in this post, from 13 March it says it was released.

I'd guess then late April to early May for the pre-release to be over but that's just a guess. :phones:

How does this affect the pricing of the Mac version of Gullfoss?

In general, a license for Gullfoss can be used on a Mac or Windows version (once Windows is released). But, during Windows early access there will be one caveat. Any user can purchase a license for $99, but the half-price licenses will not be able to be used on Mac until we are out of early access. This could be as late as April 2019. This means that you will not be able to use your $99 license on Mac for a period of a few months. You will, however, be able to purchase a license which can be used on Mac for a 20% discounted price of $159 during Windows early access.

I got both Gulfoss and Q3 and i cant tell yet which one i like more. I use Gulfoss on my master mainly. Any opinions?

Different tools in my opinion...
But any DAWs channel EQ can more easily replace Q3 (sans the dynamic part), while Gullfoss is unique.

So, soundtheory copy protection was never cracked, windows iLok verison comes out and is already cracked.

I'm really really failing to see the point of implementing Pace garbage into it, and I'll keep using the original CP till the end, and after, if its cracked, i'm going to use the cracked version (while buying the upgrades) just so i can avoid Pace...

I had to ask for a refund for gullfoss. i just don't want to take the risk. they are moving too slowly for my tastes and set squishy expectations that they try hard to get out of. with so many software companies going tits up, i'm happy to wait for it when its real. i'll buy it on sale or 2nd hand in the future. i have so many other tools... sure its nice but i can wait when its an actual real thing. i've already seen one in the forsale forum for 80. so i asked for a refund and got it. thankfully there was no hassle with the refund. the other thing that got me mad was the other forum members sticking up for sound theory - i find these people irrational as they hold devs in some kind of god-like reverance. but ok, difference of opinion there. too much game playing in the software industry these days. (originally in morse code, for no good reason)
Last edited by plexuss on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”