Channel Strip VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Scheps Omni and I also have PA bx_console SSL 4000E. Both are nice. One that people doesn't talk much about, probably because it's not considered to be posh enough, is the AS-Rack from Nomad Factory. It has 6 modules that can be re-arranged and it has a exciter module that is very nice. It has been on sale several times and you can get it quite cheap.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Aloysius wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 am Eventide UltraChannel
I was going to mention this, it has some unique features. Sometimes some of the features can be annoying, like the EQ restrictions, but sometimes those are good in that you don't go overboard.

I use:

Neutron
Ultrachannel
Schepps Omnichannel (that it can load a waves plugin and that can be saved with the preset is key here)

Other waves mojo strips
Redd
Kramer HLS

I don't like the TG channel strip but I do like the new TG mastering console.

If you want to go nuts there is a script in Reaper wich allows you to create your own from your favorite plugins. I had a blast with it:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182233
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 am If you want to go nuts there is a script in Reaper wich allows you to create your own from your favorite plugins. I had a blast with it:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182233
That's cool, and looks like a rabbit hole. How long did it take you to create a usable strip?

Flux Evo looks beautiful. Anyone have more thoughts on it?

dandezebra wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 am Flux Evo looks beautiful. Anyone have more thoughts on it?
I like Flux stuff quite a bit, but I passed on this because I don't think that it's as flexible as Neutron/Nectar, even though it has a couple of cool features. If you don't have a modern strip, then it's probably not a bad choice. I use the hell out of the dynamic EQ and multiband compressors in Neutron though.

Keep in mind that I don't even like recommending iZotope because I think that they are greedy and make new versions of bundles at a faster than acceptable rate. However, I do like Neutron so I have to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks for the info. I have the Elements Suite but haven't used it much and I'm not sure if I would ever upgrade. With the strips I already have and a bunch of other fantastic effects (FF, PA, Soundtoys, Eventide), I doubt I need another one. Ha! GUI looks slick though!

funky lime wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 pm Airwindows CStrip has some of its own unique mojo. It's also pretty low-cpu (leaving a control at zero bypasses that section) and free/open-source.
+1. I use it preceeded or followed by Desk4 or purestdrive. It's limited in a nice way. if I need more EQ I use EQ8.

It's limited in the right way, sounds really good and isn't taxing on cpu at all. Recommended.

ATN69 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:48 am One that people doesn't talk much about, probably because it's not considered to be posh enough, is the AS-Rack from Nomad Factory. It has 6 modules that can be re-arranged and it has a exciter module that is very nice.
I reckon that the Analog Studio Rack is a killer plugin...One of the underated gems out there because many "snobs" consider that Nomad Factory is below their station in life :party:

But the guys who were on the development team for the ASR and Bus Driver (another gem) are pretty smart cookies..

Thanks to the Charity Auction 2018,I have a second license for ASR and I use that plugin on a lot of tracks...

The total is much more than the sum of the parts and being able to chain all of those parts together in any order with zero latency is pretty cool...

The variety in the various elements make this a versatile plugin and it is useful in so many situations...

If you are in any doubt,try it on drums...You can go from transparent clean,through to seriously compressed and limited squash :wink:

I wrote a positive review here on the ASR and one of the keys to making it work, is the proper gain staging...

There's enough goodness in the ASR to make it a one stop shop for EQ,compression and spatial enhancement...

As long as you know what you're doing :tu:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 am
ATN69 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:48 am One that people doesn't talk much about, probably because it's not considered to be posh enough, is the AS-Rack from Nomad Factory. It has 6 modules that can be re-arranged and it has a exciter module that is very nice.
I reckon that the Analog Studio Rack is a killer plugin...One of the underated gems out there because many "snobs" consider that Nomad Factory is below their station in life :party:
Or, it could be that other stuff is just better. I have BlueTubes analog track box, I think that it was a freebie. It's not bad, but I generally don't like knob-laden channel strips, as opposed to those with a more modern graphic U/I, e.g., Neutron, and I only use knobish strips under specific circumstances, e.g., they have been developed with some particular mojo in mind, e.g., the Waves stuff.

Like many here, I have a handful of channel strips that I don't use, some of them with a more respective pedigree than Nomad Factory, e.g. Wave Arts TrackPlug and Waves Renn channel. The former is alright, it has a decent enough U/I, it has some traditional features like a built in gate, it has some nice U/I touches, but I just never use it. Renn channel, similarly has some useful features, it's tiny as hell so it doesn't get in the way, the EQ has a few nice touches, but, my god is that thing fugly and outdated.

So there you go, three strips that I really don't use, two of which I paid actual money for, and it's not because I'm a "snob", I just have tools that I like better. That has as much to do with workflow and U/I as it does sound, but, sorry, to be fair, while there's nothing wrong with the Nomad Factory stuff, it also doesn't jump out at me in terms of vibe and mojo. Even the Eventide Ultrachannel, while also old, has the transformer module and the micro-delay. I have the AS EQ as well and I just don't use it over any of the other 30+ EQ modules that I have.

I don't always use external channel strips either. I really enjoy mixing in both Reason and Cubase because of their excellent built in channel strips. In general, I prefer their mixer channels to anything that isn't modern with dynamic EQ features, like Neutron.

Double post
Last edited by ATN69 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:35 am @ghettosynth,

As always it comes down to personal preferences, which is basically what threads like this always boils down to :)
There is actually such a thing as "snobbery" in the music industry, and KVR is no exception. That doesn't mean everyone is a snob of course :D

The Analog Studio Rack IS NOT the Analog Track Box !

I also have a host of channel strips,but I prefer ASR and Alloy 2...

Different people have preferred options for their way of working and that's a good thing...

I'd hate to think that we were all sheep around here :tu:
No auto tune...

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:18 pm I'd like to bring this up again.. Can anyone recommend a channel strip that has some nice mojo but very low cpu needs? I'm testing nomad factory bt analog trackbox atm and I do have ultrachannel.. It's a bit hungry for cpu though to use it on every track..
Plenty of mojo (ie. distortion/saturation) in this one. I like it much better than the Waves SSL strips. Free but 32 bit only.

https://smacklabs.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/hello-world/
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Effects”