Blue cat annouce Axiom

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Axiom

GreyLion wrote: Thing is, Axiom is designed precisely so the user can themselves include anything they want, almost anywhere in the signal chain.
Exactly GreyLion, so no problem if you want your own IR loader, personally I don't need any, Destructor sounds more then good enough for me, but I think people really need to get used to this new way of working vs IR's but at least it's open to your own way of working no limits here.
"Zen attitude est the best attitude"

hve wrote:
GreyLion wrote: Thing is, Axiom is designed precisely so the user can themselves include anything they want, almost anywhere in the signal chain.
Exactly GreyLion, so no problem if you want your own IR loader, personally I don't need any, Destructor sounds more then good enough for me, but I think people really need to get used to this new way of working vs IR's but at least it's open to your own way of working no limits here.
It's not about limitations or getting used to a new way of working for some of us.

I understand the joy of being able to fool around with software, experiment and experience the wonder of discovering new ways of working. (See my website if you don't believe me, I love doing this.)

The issue for me is when I'm working. I often have the guitarist(s) in the room and I don't have the luxury of fooling around with an abstracted cabinet system. If I need to match a certain sound then I can easily grab an impulse and go to work. If the guitarist has a favorite setup, I can emulate that quickly with an impulse. I also have a mental encyclopaedia of how a portion of my IR library sounds, and even when I'm lacking in that capacity I can browse sounds very quickly.

I've used destructor enough that I can get pretty close to sounds that I want quickly, but it's still minutes of tweaking to just get close. With an IR loader I can get there in seconds.

As such I already own a variety of IR loading solutions, and I understand that using them in Axiom is not an issue. I still would prefer to have an integrated system, and I'm eager to see how Blue Cat wold implement this since their products tend to have excellent UX. I don't know of a single IR loader that I'd consider to have a UX that compares to Destructor in general.

Hopefully that explains my position a bit better.

Robert Randolph wrote: I understand the joy of being able to fool around with software, experiment and experience the wonder of discovering new ways of working. (See my website if you don't believe me, I love doing this.)
Great website, look forward to an ongoing
learning experience. I'll be reading the Mixbus review
at tea time. I like your ratings system, gets right to
the point.

Maybee the site title is a little bit under the radar?
Cheers

I also have enjoyed your reviews and your rating system!

FYI - DAWSRUS.COM is open.... :P

@Robert Randolph: it indeed makes sense. As said earlier we may add IR loading capabilities in the future, but people are waiting for Axiom, so version 1.0 has to be released at some point :-).

An early Axiom review is online by me now. (no, Axiom is not out yet)

http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2018/ ... eview.html

There's also sound samples... but I'm afraid my server is going to explode since they are 24/44 and in my fancy-pants audio comparator app. So you'll have to read the review (or browse the website) and see the samples.

I've spent ~24 hours of the last 3 days working with/on it. :cry:

Thanks for the Axiom overview, I imagine Blue Cat has
made the Taj Mahal of wipe-board rooms to keep this project
project moving forward. Hope you spend some good
ukelele time at the local parks and beaches.
It's not always easy to know when there are too many screens,
so it's better to be err on the side of happiness and sanity.
Cheers

Robert Randolph wrote:An early Axiom review is online by me now. (no, Axiom is not out yet)

http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2018/ ... eview.html

There's also sound samples... but I'm afraid my server is going to explode since they are 24/44 and in my fancy-pants audio comparator app. So you'll have to read the review (or browse the website) and see the samples.

I've spent ~24 hours of the last 3 days working with/on it. :cry:
This is a great, no-nonsense review.

I agree that not all the presets are immediately usable, and I’ve tweaked a few to my liking.

I got a pretty good high gain sound for Opeth-ish tone that I liked. I got this with Destructor and Valhalla Ubermod (just a light touch of chorus). (Before BC was kind enough to pass along the Axiom preview license.)

https://soundcloud.com/user-9140904/im- ... oy/s-yUDCC

Thank you Robert for taking the time to check out the software and post your opinion in details. Here are a few answers to some of the questions raised by your article:
- Presets: we are actually glad that feel they sound "in your face". The idea was to give a good feeling to the guitarist or bassist while playing & recording. When you are mixing you will need to do extra processing anyway depending on other instruments, so you can then either edit the Amp model in details, or load up the right Axiom master strip settings to fit your mix once the track has been recorded.
- Non-Guitar and Bass Presets: while Axiom can indeed be used for almost anything (your synth sound examples prove it), it was mainly designed to make the workflow optimal for guitar & bass. So if you want a multi effects processor for any type of signal, we'd rather recommend using PatchWork (which has built-in effects too, and many presets). And you can still load Axiom into it :).
- Multiple Windows: have you noticed that you can control the pre and post effects without opening their editor, using the controls below the pedals?
- MIDI Mapping: why aren't you using mapped parameters for MIDI mapping, as advised in the manual? It's an extra step but makes it easier to maintain MIDI maps in the long term.
- Randomization: have you checked the new Destructor randomize feature? It's pretty useful to generate new amp tones. Global randomization at the Axiom level is tricky given the amount of variables, especially when taking into account external plug-ins, so we are not there yet (if it ever makes sense).
- Instruments Hosting: you can add a drum machine, metronome or synth VI in the tools rack to play along with them. They get mixed at the output so that they are not affected by the effects used for the guitar tone. It mainly makes sense for the standalone app. But you can also host VIs anywhere, including at the input if you want to use Axiom as an instrument with effects.
- Gear References vs Descriptive Names: Since we do not pretend to replicate the sound of existing gear, descriptive names (actually often including references to gear), seemed like the best approach. And you can actually get so many different types of tones from a single amp. Anyway, when building your own amp, you can choose pre and post filters from a long list of presets which DO have references to well known gear we were inspired by.
- Tweaking the Post Filter: it will indeed require a bit of training compared to loading an impulse that you already know. It gives you however much more control over the tone, and there are hundreds of presets to let you get started, so if you are looking for an emulation of specific gear it may be in there already.

All in all, despite looking similar to other multi effects processor at first sight, it is very different when you scratch the surface. So we expect (and hope) that you will find it disturbing compared to what you are used to at the beginning, as Robert's review shows it. Our experience with Destructor and now Axiom is that it does not take a long time to get used to this new approach, and once you feel confident with it, you won't look back.

Hope this helps!

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Thank you Robert for taking the time to check out the software and post your opinion in details. Here are a few answers to some of the questions raised by your article:
- Presets: we are actually glad that feel they sound "in your face". The idea was to give a good feeling to the guitarist or bassist while playing & recording. When you are mixing you will need to do extra processing anyway depending on other instruments, so you can then either edit the Amp model in details, or load up the right Axiom master strip settings to fit your mix once the track has been recorded.
A lot of people expect to be able to open a guitar patch and have it fall in to the mix. I think that most guitar software works with this expectation in mind.

This is why I mentioned it. It's a very different experience if you're used to other products on the market.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:- Non-Guitar and Bass Presets: while Axiom can indeed be used for almost anything (your synth sound examples prove it), it was mainly designed to make the workflow optimal for guitar & bass. So if you want a multi effects processor for any type of signal, we'd rather recommend using PatchWork (which has built-in effects too, and many presets). And you can still load Axiom into it :).
:tu:

I personally still think that Axiom is an amazing product for non-guitarists. As far as I'm aware, Axiom also comes with more effects as well.
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - Multiple Windows: have you noticed that you can control the pre and post effects without opening their editor, using the controls below the pedals?
Yes. (It's also pictured in the review)

That doesn't help much when you are using VST/VST3/AU plugins though. Even 'simple compressors' these days come with dozens of parameters and that renders the parameter popup useless.

This is also heavily compounded by the issue with plugin windows always being on top in macOS. That is really annoying behaviour :(
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - MIDI Mapping: why aren't you using mapped parameters for MIDI mapping, as advised in the manual? It's an extra step but makes it easier to maintain MIDI maps in the long term.
I am. IIRC I mentioned this in the review?

The negative mention of MIDI Mapping was regarding sub-hosted plugins. For instance if you have Late Replies with a plugin that you want to control from Axiom. It is possible, but it can become confusing, especially if you're revisiting an old patch.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:- Randomization: have you checked the new Destructor randomize feature? It's pretty useful to generate new amp tones. Global randomization at the Axiom level is tricky given the amount of variables, especially when taking into account external plug-ins, so we are not there yet (if it ever makes sense).
I missed this. I will double check and update the review.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - Instruments Hosting: you can add a drum machine, metronome or synth VI in the tools rack to play along with them. They get mixed at the output so that they are not affected by the effects used for the guitar tone. It mainly makes sense for the standalone app. But you can also host VIs anywhere, including at the input if you want to use Axiom as an instrument with effects.
AHA! I will update the review to mention that. Thank you! :tu:
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - Gear References vs Descriptive Names: Since we do not pretend to replicate the sound of existing gear, descriptive names (actually often including references to gear), seemed like the best approach. And you can actually get so many different types of tones from a single amp. Anyway, when building your own amp, you can choose pre and post filters from a long list of presets which DO have references to well known gear we were inspired by.
I agree with you (and I do mention the speaker models being somewhat referential).

This is a case where, as a reviewer, I'm trying to help people understand what the software is offering. I know some people that have zero interest in software with no referential naming.

I think Axiom's approach is superior, but it's not for everyone. I wanted to make sure that was communicated.
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - Tweaking the Post Filter: it will indeed require a bit of training compared to loading an impulse that you already know. It gives you however much more control over the tone, and there are hundreds of presets to let you get started, so if you are looking for an emulation of specific gear it may be in there already.
:tu: I do mention this in the review
Destructor comes with a number of post-filter presets that help you model various common cabinets.
I also point out that Axiom's fantastic architecture allows you to load an cabinet simulator of your choice if you want.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue, but once again I mentioned it in the interest of informing.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:All in all, despite looking similar to other multi effects processor at first sight, it is very different when you scratch the surface. So we expect (and hope) that you will find it disturbing compared to what you are used to at the beginning, as Robert's review shows it. Our experience with Destructor and now Axiom is that it does not take a long time to get used to this new approach, and once you feel confident with it, you won't look back.

Hope this helps!
I agree totally. Axiom is amazing. :tu:

It takes some getting used to, but I really agree that it's a fantastic approach. The architecture of the product allows you to slowly ease in to the new approach as well. If you're only comfortable with certain IRs, amp sims, pedal effects, etc... you can use those without issue. Over time you can learn to utilize the integrated solutions as it's convenient.

Robert:

To some of the points in your review, that Blue Cat may have already talked about:

Axiom is a product aimed squarely at guitarists & basssists, so the fact that you can find uses for it outside of guitar applications is a plus. But as BC already stated (I think), you're better off moving to Patchwork, or a combination of Patchwork, Late Replies, and Destructor for non-guitar-related tasks.

Regarding the request for an IR loader, asking BC for something like that seems unnecessary, imo. For two reasons:
1. There are many, fully-featured IR loaders already
2. For BC to offer that with their own brand name on it would betray the spirit of Destructor/Axiom in the first place. The whole point of the approach of the product is to produce great guitar tones without the typical amp sim/IR loader.

WOW! This looks awesome! I'm sorry if I missed this, but as someone who does not own Destructor or late replies, is there any reason to buy them if I buy Axiom? Does Destructor or Late Replies have any features in their stand alone products that are missing in Axiom?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

The main reason for purchasing Late Replies and Destructor in addition to Axiom (hence the Axe Pack, that also adds PatchWork to the picture!) is to be able to load them natively into your DAW without having to launch Axiom first. So if you want to use these plug-ins on other tracks, outside of Axiom, go for the bundle instead!

The built-in version and full versions of these plug-ins are otherwise identical (and they actually share their presets). BTW you can load your existing Destructor presets into the amp sim section of Axiom. 8)

But if they are identical, cant you just load Axiom and turn off everything but late replies for example, save it as a preset, and now you have late replies you can use on other tracks? Confused as to why I would pay extra for the pack vs just using Axiom? Unless I'm missing something?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Return to “Effects”