MAAT DR Meter - copy protection is terrible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Omkar wrote:I wonder when a dev wants to to do business with users all across the board
why they don`t get in touch with them in advance like on a survey etc.
to locate and address crucial issues users may have.

In this case it could have been done to find out what kind of protection(s) are considered acceptable
and then find a workable compromise between the fundamental idea of the dev and the feedback of users
IMO it's not that easy. If you ask users about the best copy protection the answer will always be "none". MAAT seems to prefer hardware dongle so the choice could've been between elicenser, ilok and codemeter. But then another discussion follows about the usual dongle shit-talking. So I think at one point the dev has to make a decission (probably without the customers opinion) that is fix. That they decided to use codemeter in the end is very very unfortunate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dongle is safer than online activation which can lock you out of a purchased product.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I have iLok and eLic but i surely don't need another 3rd hardware dongle. I know you can register MAAT stuff via soft licensing but i rather use dongle. Strange decision to rely on unknown Wibu-System: Is there any other dev using this? I never ever heard of them.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I just saw this:
https://rekkerd.org/maat-drmeter-mkii-l ... to-38-off/
https://www.maat.digital/drm2/

Please let me quote from Rekkerd:
DRMeter MkII is available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) at the intro price of $129 USD until March 31st, 2018. Owners of DRMeter can upgrade for $99 USD.
I took a short dive at the manual and the screenshots. And I'm terribly sorry - I might be the only one thinking this - but am I being taken for a ride here?! Is the price jump of about 100bucks really adjusted for a mk II?

Also is 129USD the actual MSRP? Because Rekkerd mentions "intro price", yet the MAAT Digital page does not mention any of that.

I'm really, really sorry - but I think my criticism will remain stronger than ever (IMO outdated tool, sold for way too much)... Sorry - not liking this move at all - this is not helping "spread awareness" and make this tool attractive to the masses. Especially considering that the competition didn't (and still doesn't) sleep.

I now also already fear the prices of the revivals of Algorithmix K-Stereo and the Linear Phase EQ.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Yeah - V1 only came out at the end of June last year, sheesh.

I think you're missing the point here
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

MAAT has gone full backwards. I opened old project and my DrMeter2 doesn't seem to work on it anymore. I briefly tried to troubleshoot why it wasn't working, but I couldn't find solution. All I can say is that MAAT has gone draconian with their DRM (it already was, but I feel its gotten worse). I advice anyone against purchasing of their products, as there's no gurantee if they will work 1-2 years from now.

SiliconDeath wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 am MAAT has gone full backwards. I opened old project and my DrMeter2 doesn't seem to work on it anymore. I briefly tried to troubleshoot why it wasn't working, but I couldn't find solution. All I can say is that MAAT has gone draconian with their DRM (it already was, but I feel its gotten worse). I advice anyone against purchasing of their products, as there's no guarantee if they will work 1-2 years from now.
+1000
These guys and their archaic protection are the worst.

Compyfox wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 am
I now also already fear the prices of the revivals of Algorithmix K-Stereo and the Linear Phase EQ.
This one? ಠ_ಠ
https://www.maat.digital/theqorange

Niowiad wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 am This one? ಠ_ಠ
:o That price is..."In A Class By Itself".

murnau wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:29 pm I have iLok and eLic but i surely don't need another 3rd hardware dongle. I know you can register MAAT stuff via soft licensing but i rather use dongle. Strange decision to rely on unknown Wibu-System: Is there any other dev using this? I never ever heard of them.
Propellerheads Reason uses the Wibu System. I have my MAAT licenses on a Reason Ignitionkey.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

anoise wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:14 am
Niowiad wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 am This one? ಠ_ಠ
:o That price is..."In A Class By Itself".
Yeah I saw the price, then someone luckily performed CPR on me.

Super high-end mastering studio stuff :borg:
Would like to see reviews about it, just out of curiosity.

Actually, now that I see that there are MAAT devs active in this thread, let me ask a question I asked MAAT support some time ago but never got an answer:

It should be possible to host Reason licenses on the MAAT dongle. Am I correct? The Ignitionkey is awfully bulky compared to the MAAT key.

And for what it is worth: the Wibu/Codemeter system has caused me the most issues of any licensing system so far. Not that long ago something screwed up the license container database on my Mac and I needed to do some hardcore OS level system repair to get everything recognized again. Took me an entire weekend.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am Actually, now that I see that there are MAAT devs active in this thread, let me ask a question I asked MAAT support some time ago but never got an answer:

It should be possible to host Reason licenses on the MAAT dongle. Am I correct? The Ignitionkey is awfully bulky compared to the MAAT key.

And for what it is worth: the Wibu/Codemeter system has caused me the most issues of any licensing system so far. Not that long ago something screwed up the license container database on my Mac and I needed to do some hardcore OS level system repair to get everything recognized again. Took me an entire weekend.
MAAT doesn't care. They're swell that way.

jbarish wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm MAAT doesn't care. They're swell that way.
It is a surprisingly weird bunch of people indeed. It is not only that their licensing is archaic, the troublesome part is that they are apparently convinced that this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Not sure how it works on Windows machines, but on a Mac the Wibu/Codemeter system is highly problematic. And that is coming from a person who absolutely loves iLok and does not even mind eLicenser. ;)

Wibu is ridiculously unusable and dangerously unstable. If you get issues with some of the software components there is a chance that even a reinstall does not help. I needed to go in, identify which container database files caused the licensing system to crash and delete them manually. Otherwise the system would not recognize the Ignitionkey anymore.

Return to “Effects”