recommend me a plugin for granular synthesis/mangling

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

woggle wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 am
Neon Breath wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm Crusher-X is a Bentley. Rock solid, classic, very reliable, well maintained and updated.

Dust is a Jaguar. Eye catching, fun and beautiful, but buggy, not reliable and not well maintained.
Have you had problems with the VST2 version of Dust? Has been very solid for me - the vst3 one is buggy for sure. I have spoken with Soundmorph about it - particularly with the Steinberg VST2 licensing issue coming up and they said there is no problem with the steinberg license and their implementation. I asked them because if there was no ongoing support etc I was going to get crusher-X on special but decided not to based on soundmorphs response. CrusherX is no longer on sale
VST2, I don't use the VST3. Some random DAW crashes (can't reproduce or find a pattern), the presets are now loaded and some other weird things. Nonetheless soundwise, it's a very unique granular tool.

Anybody mentioned Audiority Grainspace here? I bought it for a ridiculously affordable price on black friday and I'm having an incredibly fun time playing with it.

It's absolutely grain heaven with only a few controls yet still quite flexible. Whatever it does to chop up stuff it's very pleasant to my ears.

It's not a synth though, it's an audio effect that granularizes the incoming audio.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm Anybody mentioned Audiority Grainspace here? I bought it for a ridiculously affordable price on black friday and I'm having an incredibly fun time playing with it.

It's absolutely grain heaven with only a few controls yet still quite flexible. Whatever it does to chop up stuff it's very pleasant to my ears.

It's not a synth though, it's an audio effect that granularizes the incoming audio.
Yes it's been mentioned but who cares! Cause you are right, it's a fantastic granulator with lot of controls and features so it's worth mentioning again. After Crusher-X it's ma favorite granular effect, love that per-grain filtering & auto freeze feature :)

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm
bmanic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm Anybody mentioned Audiority Grainspace here? I bought it for a ridiculously affordable price on black friday and I'm having an incredibly fun time playing with it.

Yes it's been mentioned but who cares! Cause you are right, it's a fantastic granulator with lot of controls and features so it's worth mentioning again. After Crusher-X it's ma favorite granular effect, love that per-grain filtering & auto freeze feature :)
yep I like Grainspace too - as you say, very easy to use

.. so I just made a 21 minute ambient-electronica epic using Grainspace as the only "instrument". Incoming audio was a short snippet from a recording that I did like 6 years ago, a band from a junior high school that played their cover of "Gimme Some Loving" by The Spencer Davis Group. :D

Additional plugins used for the actual composition was FabFilter Volcano 2 (does all the filtering and rhythmic stuff) which fed into Polaris delay/reverb thing, also by Audiority. That's all that was used. Fooled around for about 90 minutes, all of which I recorded.. then spliced together various parts on two tracks.

I'll post it in the Music Cafe as soon as this thing has done rendering. I highly recommend smoking a joint before listening to this. :hihi:

Seriously though, this turned out really nice! Love this little plugin.

EDIT: ok so I cut the first 3 minutes.. now it's only 18 minutes long. :lol:

Here's the song. Euphonic Carphology

.. and here's a link to the Music Cafe thread.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Here's a demo of what one (slightly daw automated) crusher-x 5 preset will do to a single Moog Modular preset.

https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/m ... intageverb

I tossed in Vintage verb for a bit of "depth"
:borg:

Tronam wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 am I wish Propellerhead Grain was a VST.
+1!

6th post.

:D Crusher-X :D

I've been using GRM SpaceGrain! Which is the reverse of Grainspace. :? You have to buy it as part of a package of "GRM Tools". SpaceGrain gives a lot of good effects but is sometimes flaky and the documentation is 3rd-rate. Fun though. I'm interested in finding and trying as many granual synthesis eft & instruments as I can, so I hope this thread lives on...

ruffindajungle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 am

6th post.

Some space grain action:

https://youtu.be/D0Sm1eWvqA8

New Sonic Arts Granite is my absolutely favourite.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

crusher-X, I played this live on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZw-Kmy78-c

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm Some space grain action:

https://youtu.be/D0Sm1eWvqA8
sounds fantastic!

Return to “Effects”