recommend me a plugin for granular synthesis/mangling

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So Mangle is definitely dead?

Btw. Byome, the new plugin from Unfiltered Audio, has excellent granular effects. It instantly became my favorite (realtime) granular effect. :)

I wish Propellerhead Grain was a VST.

HcDoom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm So Mangle is definitely dead?
Tom says it's not, he's just busy.. But irl there's not been any progress since... Can't even remember. So until a surprise update appears, it's dead.

HcDoom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm So Mangle is definitely dead?
For all intents & purposes it is dead for me. I purchased it recently, but didn't write down the code it displayed and I can't even activate it. The website said I should get it also via e-mail, but I never did and the dev doesn't respond to e-mails.

Thanks for reminding me about this - I need to file a complaint with PayPal and get my money back :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I purchased Mangle yesterday without any problems. Immediately after payment I got an email to the address which serves as login at PayPal (!). The mail contains a link to download the installer for the licensed software and is identical to the "code" you didn't note. The link will expire after 120 hours or after 5 attempts, whichever event happens first. In case you have multiple mail accounts, check the one which is known by PayPal.

Has anyone tried Dust from Soundmorph? Thoughts?

wildinout wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm Has anyone tried Dust from Soundmorph? Thoughts?
Wanna buy it?

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:59 pm
wildinout wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm Has anyone tried Dust from Soundmorph? Thoughts?
Wanna buy it?
No buy it from me
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Took me a while but I really like Dust - but the VST3 is a bit buggy. The VST2 works fine for me as a live effect and as an instrument in Reaper.
Soundmorph also make a granular plugin for Reaktor which I also have come to quite like - Evil Twin.

The other one to look at is crusherX - which is meant to be the most powerful one around etc, but is more expensive and more difficult to use because of the complexity. They don't allow license transfers (I think) but have a good demo

All of those are maybe still on special for the next few hours

Crusher-X is a Bentley. Rock solid, classic, very reliable, well maintained and updated.

Dust is a Jaguar. Eye catching, fun and beautiful, but buggy, not reliable and not well maintained.

Byome & SpecOps are outstanding imho ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 pm Byome & SpecOps are outstanding imho ...
SpecOp is not a granular plugin. Amazing of course but it's a spectral FFT based effect.

Neon Breath wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm Crusher-X is a Bentley. Rock solid, classic, very reliable, well maintained and updated.

Dust is a Jaguar. Eye catching, fun and beautiful, but buggy, not reliable and not well maintained.
Have you had problems with the VST2 version of Dust? Has been very solid for me - the vst3 one is buggy for sure. I have spoken with Soundmorph about it - particularly with the Steinberg VST2 licensing issue coming up and they said there is no problem with the steinberg license and their implementation. I asked them because if there was no ongoing support etc I was going to get crusher-X on special but decided not to based on soundmorphs response. CrusherX is no longer on sale

I use it and I like it. It's a bit awkward to use but it provides some atmospherics unheard from other plugins. As always it depends how you feed a sample based instrument. I think it's a very special tool capable of all sorts of cool things. From pads to glitchy spacy collages to music concrete style and for rhythmically craziness. But first of all it is really fun to play around with it. The looks remind of arcade games like Asteroids or Centipede :)

Can recommend it. Cubase 8 and no problems with the vst 2 version.

Return to “Effects”