recommend me a plugin for granular synthesis/mangling

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And no, I‘m not economically connected with him, just a satisfied customer.

Is good as well:
Excursions by Fingermark Sound Design

http://fingermarks.co.uk/music2.htm#Excursions
Last edited by martinjuenke on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichttuntun wrote:okay. As promised....Padshop Pro is bought and I really like it.
Great to hear that you like Padshop Pro. I think it's amazing and produces very 'musical' results. For example at the time when I used it, I also used Alchemy a lot (still do) but Alchemy's granular engine never gave me such instant, beautiful granular sounds like Padshop Pro did.

This thread is making me think that I should check out other granular synths. I have The Mangle and Falcon too. I wonder how these compare to Padshop Pro just based on the granular engine implementation.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

martinjuenke wrote:And no, I‘m not economically connected with him, just a satisfied customer.
Hello,
and if it would be okay :) Because he makes great stuff. Thank you for your hint I didn´t know his other project-name.
himalaya wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:okay. As promised....Padshop Pro is bought and I really like it.
Great to hear that you like Padshop Pro. I think it's amazing and produces very 'musical' results. For example at the time when I used it, I also used Alchemy a lot (still do) but Alchemy's granular engine never gave me such instant, beautiful granular sounds like Padshop Pro did.

This thread is making me think that I should check out other granular synths. I have The Mangle and Falcon too. I wonder how these compare to Padshop Pro just based on the granular engine implementation.
I think The Mangle makes instantly nice and rich clouds. You can move your mouse directly up and down (not only horizontal) at the Sample-Wave Window to define a starting point in the upper or lower spectrum of the sound what is great. I don´t know how to do that in Padshop.

And finally I think you should absolutley try out KAIVO by MadronaLabs. It´s a burner. When you are in Sounddesign you propably will love it. As a plus it has a physically modelled engine on top of the granular engine and you can load multiple track waves/samples (up to four layers) into the granular sampler engine. You can morph the grains in many interesting ways and the modulation options are great because KAIVO is at heart a modular system too :) It´s a must have and still in development and veeeery CPU intensive. The developper wants to optimize more and implement multicore support.

A good time to you all :tu:

Oh, thanks for reminding me about Kaivo. I have that too! :D Doh! Too many synths...can't keep up. I think I also bought some granular effects last Black Friday...the Melda one... but that's an effect...

Well, this is the EFFECTS forum...

and so it is! :D
Got all confused with people talking about synths on the last page...

sorry...I was confused too :hihi:

This is obviously an area where instruments and effects categories are blurring...

thanks for this nice list of granular tools

MGranularMB is great if you need a granular effect. Sometimes a synth is better, but there are lots of cool things you can do with granular fx. I made a vid a while ago showing how to make risers with MGranular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Non9RB6TmMk

yes, I saw your video :)

Chandlerhimself wrote:MGranularMB is great if you need a granular effect. Sometimes a synth is better, but there are lots of cool things you can do with granular fx.
Totally agree.
MGranularMB is great.

And another thing: the results one can achieve with a granular synth/effect are mostly depending on one's understanding of what should go on in the whole process.
It is often mentioned that Melda's plug ins have rather complicated GUIs. That's true. However, once you understand the logic behind it, it enables great results.
(of course, there are lots of great devices for granular synthesis; Reaktor of NI is another _huge_ source of fantastic opportunities....)

himalaya wrote:

Hi to you all,

I want to re-open this thread because I lately recieved an email by Tom of Sound-Guru / THE MANGLE.

We all thought his page and the product MANGLE was dead for sure. No replies on mails, no update since years. So I was happy to read a sign of life from him. He stated that he has ben very busy with other things (Sound-Guru is a one-man-show) but he would have plans for even implement new features into THE MANGLE...how great would that be? The email contained new download links and I really hope that wasn´t a fake mail because my security software claimed it as phishing.

...I really hope that is true. I took the opportunity to re-use THE MANGLE again and again I was astonished how great it sounds against all the other granulators I know concerning the big lush sounding grain clouds it produces, the others can´t in that kind of smoothness.

Did you too recieve Toms email?

Neon Breath wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:Just bought PadshopPro (Steinberg)...
Really cool and inspiring!
Yeah great synth, just wish it would get some love from Steinberg
Yep, they pretty much abandoned it with no more feature updates, wouldn't count on them for that. Still, a very amazing granular synth sound wise, its granular engine is very powerful.
Is everything not updated within the last 24 months abandoned? Urs Heckmann and Native Instruments (just to name a few) would disagree!
When was the last feature update for Padshop? (Genuine update, not just some compatibility maintenance to keep the sells)

....2012. That's not what I call constant support and updates.
Padshop Pro is a fantastic granular synth, but their aren't even maintenance updates now. The AU is so buggy that I bought Blue Cat's Patchwork so that I could use the VST instead. I have several other granular synths, including Granite & The Mangle, but none of them are a Padshop Pro replacement. I am looking forward to the release of Quanta (which should be soon). I have high hopes that this will be able to replace Padshop Pro for me. https://www.audiodamage.com/blogs/news/coming-soon

Return to “Effects”