Waves Audio Plugin GUI is laggy and slow

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The GUI of Waves Audio Plugin is very laggy in comparison to other plugins. It is sometimes hart to adjust values smooth. Have anyone the same issues? My System is Windows10 64Bit, i7 4core Desktop CPU with 16GB Ram, Nvidia 1060 GTX with 6GB Ram. DAWs are Reason and Reaper.

Which one? I know things like the H-EQ just don't respond nearly as fluidly as say Pro-Q2 - and knobs on most of their plugins don't rotate smoothly like for example Klanghelm and others. It's like they work at a slow framerate.

Waves uses OpenGL to draw their graphics. I'm no expert in this area, but I do know I used to have some graphics card that only went as high as OpenGL 2.0 and Waves require 2.1. The graphics worked - just - but were slow and laggy and froze sometimes. I replaced the card with one that supported the latest OpenGL version and my Waves plugins have worked perfectly ever since.

Strangely, it also fixed problems with SKNote plugins where the meters would just stop working, even though they don't use OpenGL.

You want laggy graphics, try Acustica Audio!

Anyway, my guess is graphics drivers, especially OpenGL.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

In addition to what cprompt said, you can use this to check which OpenGL version your graphic card currently supports:

http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

Thx for reply. In my case I try to work with H-Reverb and H-EQ. The Plugins are very nice, but often the values and there graphical representations jumps if I try to adjust them forwards and backwards to find the settings I love.

Here are the results of GLView. My system is fresh installed and all drivers are up to date.
2.PNG
1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The DSP load is also very high if this Waves plugins are opened?
I've reported some of this bugs to Waves in combination with a the on-board GPU of the i7 and Cubase.
IMO they using some OpenGL functions which are not supported by every GPU (or the driver) and so it must be emulated by software. So it needs a lot of processing power and the result is the slow GUI.

You are right. If I adjust the graph of H-Reverb the cpu load jumps from 1% to 20% and above.

If I set the energy option in windows and nvidia control panal to high performance then the lags are less but I always feel that there goes something wrong with the gui performance.

Btw... the latest version of Waves is V9? Maybe they changed something with newer versions/updates. So I would also check with the Waves Central app if you have the latest version.

I have my system completely reinstalled now, with the newest driver and the newest wave central from there website. The plugins GUI is still laggy.

Pretty laggy as well here. Also using Reaper but I don't know if it's the DAW's fault.
I just assumed thats how they are. Might be wrong though.

On a positive note, I find the mouse-wheel much more precise on Waves plugins compared to the standard drag-and-drop method. I pretty much only use the mouse-wheel on their plugins.

I don't think this has been said, but try installing an older version. I bought a new Waves plug the other day, and while installing it updated all my my newer ones from version 9 to 10... they all stopped working, FL couldn't even read them when doing a scan, I had to offline install version 9 of all those plugins, now they all work again. I know it's a different problem, but it's something you could try.

Waves ui's have been always laggy, in all DAW's i use (fl studio, reaper, sonar, pro tools), on several version Windows versions (from vista onwards for sure).

OpenGL drivers on ATI hardware has been historically suboptimal... not sure these days... may or may not be relevant...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Yesterday I wrote to the Waves support. I expect there reply.

xfgjhcfghjcg jklvhjl
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”