New plugin from Waves CLA Mixdown

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote:HI guys - how do you feel about CLA Mixdown now after a couple of weeks?
Really liking it a lot. Definitely one to put on the master buss before you start doing anything and mix in to it, but things to seem to feel more weighty, better balanced and fuller. Well, whatever, I like it and great value for the $23 it cost.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

everyPlugin.com wrote:
Niklashe wrote:If I buy Chris Lord-Alge Signature Series now, will the CLA mix down be included?
Checking on Waves website: http://www.waves.com/bundles/chris-lord ... ure-series
the CLA MixDown is not included in the Chris Lord-Alge Signature Series bundle
However I did hear that the previous owners of the bundle were able to upgrade it for $15-25.

Not sure if that will count for new bundle owners though.

The original Waves email from July 10, 2017 said:

Dear CLA Signature Series owner,

We are pleased to offer you CLA MixDown – the new mix buss plugin from Grammy-winning mixer Chris Lord-Alge – at a special discount of only $14 (instead of the general intro price of $29).

You can take advantage of this offer until August 8, 2017 – simply enter this code at checkout:
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,
The Waves Team

Only if you purchased your bundle before July 10, 2017,
you're eligible for this discount.

I am in the fence about this. I tried it and actually (to my surprise) quite liked it. You have to use it from the start.
But I have black box by pa, I have masterdesk, I have IK one...
I would literally be using it for the drive section only as I already have comps that I prefer. It’s a pretty good price at the moment.
I’m also tempted to just get abbey road vinyl and chambers instead.

That CLA signature series is solid. I don't have Mixdown but the other kit and it still gets used to this day. Often I cannot improve on what it is doing to a bass or a kick. Quite annoying really. It has pushed me to become a more skillful mixer just trying to match it. Looks surprisingly simple but it is very deep in what it is doing and how you can use it to full advantage.

As I understand it Mixdown is:
- Analog channel modeling and drive (probably something near identical to NLS)
- "glue" compression
- soft EQ boosts at around 80hz and 3.5khz

Obviously modeled/approximated after the gear that CLA actually uses.

I made a thread as an exercise on this concept using the Scheps Omni
viewtopic.php?t=516332

Personally, I put an NLS on my master (with some drive), but I don't do this blind eq at 80hz and 3.5khz. The whole point of "mixing into it" is that you'll end up setting it to taste regardless. It really is a workflow thing. You might end up boosting less in your tracks because there already is a boost going on, but to me it feels a bit counter-intuitive.

jochicago wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm That CLA signature series is solid. I don't have Mixdown but the other kit and it still gets used to this day. Often I cannot improve on what it is doing to a bass or a kick. Quite annoying really. It has pushed me to become a more skillful mixer just trying to match it. Looks surprisingly simple but it is very deep in what it is doing and how you can use it to full advantage.

As I understand it Mixdown is:
- Analog channel modeling and drive (probably something near identical to NLS)
- "glue" compression
- soft EQ boosts at around 80hz and 3.5khz

Obviously modeled/approximated after the gear that CLA actually uses.

I made a thread as an exercise on this concept using the Scheps Omni
viewtopic.php?t=516332

Personally, I put an NLS on my master (with some drive), but I don't do this blind eq at 80hz and 3.5khz. The whole point of "mixing into it" is that you'll end up setting it to taste regardless. It really is a workflow thing. You might end up boosting less in your tracks because there already is a boost going on, but to me it feels a bit counter-intuitive.

yeah thats my worry - that they just used basically the same thing from NLS. I don't need the compressor (i have many SSL type compressors and other things that i far prefer on mixbuss) that said, the compressor included is good - i just don't want or need it.
I just like having a drive plugin to 'push' into on the mixbuss. But already have the slate one and plugin alliance black box (along with BX masterdesk and IK One) So it looks like there isn't much point in getting this TBH. It is cool though. its also really cheap atm, which is why im looking into it.

That said, DMG just released a new plugin, so it looks like i might have to re direct my withering funds towards that!

I don’t generally mimic many tricks from other sound engineers, a few, but not many. I tend to like to explore and discover things myself. Man, I’m the same even if I’m playing XBox!! Haha!!

So naturally, I do t necessarily need to reflect what CLA does on his mixbuss in my own mixes. That said, I do wonder whether Mixdown will make a good combination, with their newer MixHub plugin?!?

simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm I don’t generally mimic many tricks from other sound engineers, a few, but not many. I tend to like to explore and discover things myself. Man, I’m the same even if I’m playing XBox!! Haha!!

So naturally, I do t necessarily need to reflect what CLA does on his mixbuss in my own mixes. That said, I do wonder whether Mixdown will make a good combination, with their newer MixHub plugin?!?

Yeah that was my thought really.
I got the console and quite like the mix down plugin. Didn’t get it in the end though. I was never interested in the compressor or any of the other stuff - just the console section.

Did you get the console in the end?

DavidCarlyon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:48 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm I don’t generally mimic many tricks from other sound engineers, a few, but not many. I tend to like to explore and discover things myself. Man, I’m the same even if I’m playing XBox!! Haha!!

Yeah that was my thought really.
I got the console and quite like the mix down plugin. Didn’t get it in the end though. I was never interested in the compressor or any of the other stuff - just the console section.

Did you get the console in the end?
Yeah I did end up getting the MixHub in the end. It’s a little CPU expensive, but turning off modules you aren’t using will certainly save the cycles. In effect, one module has the load of a single plugin. So four modules equals around the usage of four plugins.

I have t had a chance to use it much as I’ve been a bit busy resurrecting an iMac. It does sound very nice indeed and the buckets make it fast to pull up a mix. Certainly worth the price of admission.

simon.a.billington wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am Yeah I did end up getting the MixHub in the end. It’s a little CPU expensive, but turning off modules you aren’t using will certainly save the cycles. In effect, one module has the load of a single plugin. So four modules equals around the usage of four plugins.

I have t had a chance to use it much as I’ve been a bit busy resurrecting an iMac. It does sound very nice indeed and the buckets make it fast to pull up a mix. Certainly worth the price of admission.
MixHub recently got an update and now there's also a Lite version which uses less CPU.

Reefius wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am Yeah I did end up getting the MixHub in the end. It’s a little CPU expensive, but turning off modules you aren’t using will certainly save the cycles. In effect, one module has the load of a single plugin. So four modules equals around the usage of four plugins.

MixHub recently got an update and now there's also a Lite version which uses less CPU.
Oh so it did!! Good catch!!

Seems to save about 25-35% on the original and still integrates nicely with the Buckets so you can mix them up. Put all the intense serious on your primary tracks and put the Lite version on the secondaries.

It doesn't sound like your losing much either!! :o

Return to “Effects”