VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HOFA SYSTEM All Bundle HOFA SYSTEM basic

Just been updated with the new PhaserChorusFlanger Suite
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Hmm, another $50, I dunno if I'm gonna go for that one. They need to work out
some kind of discounted upgrade path like Kilohearts did. Segregating the bundle
by versions is pretty annoying imho. Was the same with the Kilohearts bundle,
until they came to their senses and created attractive upgrade paths. Otherwise,
its just a money pit.

*shrugs

What do you mean another $50, its included in the System

Nope, its included in version 3 of the system, if you bought version 2 or 1. Its another $45 currently.
Near as I can tell. I only have an option to demo it.

Right, so the cheap intro price was a ruse.

Yeah I dunno, they really just need to come up with a reasonable upgrade path.
I understand they need to make some money, but for people who already
bought the bundle, the way it is currently, is just going to put them off.

Kilohearts had the same problem with the snapins. Then they instigated a nice upgrade
path to the current bundles that make it a lot more attractive when they add something new.
I generally will automatically upgrade to the works when they release a new plugin
as the discount is generous enough to make it palatable. There is also an incentive
to upgrade, as it keeps the cost at a minimum because I am always only step
away from the full bundle @ a new release.

This type of plugin, requires some forward thinking in regard to pricing IMHO.
Otherwise the cost just works out to be ridiculous.

Not to mention, previous customers get screwed because it cost them more
than someone buying the bundle today. $100 vs $79, needless to say, thats
bullshit.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Right, so the cheap intro price was a ruse.
are you aware of such a plugin type where you don't have to spent money for new/additional fx? i'm not.

the basic bundle already has many useful fx. spending only 50€ for them was a nice introduction and i never thought all the steps on their roadmap were included. i agree with pekbro, an upgrade path is needed.

how is it right now? do you have to upgrade the whole bundle or can you decide to only buy additional stuff you're interested in? i mean: i have enough flanger and phaser fx so i'd pass on them. do i have to buy them in the future when another module bundle got released that i'm interested in?

Well, the additional modules are optional, if you happened to skip the Algoverb
by buying only the mix version for instance. Since I have everything but the
new modules, I can only buy them outright, or buy the bundle again I suppose.

Anyway, without an upgrade path, previous buyers are penalized as compared
to new users. Thats pretty lame IMO, hopefully they just need to work it out.

-Cheers

They released a new module called Saturator which emulates tape, tube, triode and transistor according to the website. It´s a nice addition in my opinion (introductory price is 44,90 €).

All of these modular system type plugs are more favorable to the company than they are to the customer. Their whole purpose is to charge premium prices for additional plugs or hit you with upgrade fees. Even at it's current sale price, I feel it's too expensive. Great business model for HOFA, poor one for consumers.

jbarish wrote:All of these modular system type plugs are more favorable to the company than they are to the customer. Their whole purpose is to charge premium prices for additional plugs or hit you with upgrade fees. Even at it's current sale price, I feel it's too expensive. Great business model for HOFA, poor one for consumers.
I agree those closed modular systems are a great way to make money. It would be great to allow 3rd party plugins though. But compared to the modular systems that are out there and already cost a couple 1000$ the HOFA one is quite cheap and still hq. And remember you can use these modules as single plugins too.

Now Live:
HOFA plugin workshop (german).

https://youtu.be/tukADV8ld_Y

bmanic wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:48 am Melda MXXX is way more powerful of course but the interface seems to be far superior on HOFA's new offering. The melda system would really benefit from a complete rethink of the whole user interface but I guess it would be a massive time sink.. it already feels a bit like the interfaces are kept together with duct tape.

We'll see how it evolves. If HOFA can get the whole feedback system to work and include some more low level components then it could very well become extremely powerful.
Did you end up buying this in the end? Im curious to know how you got on with it. Im a long time MXXX user and, whilst i love it, i have't been using it as much lately.
I always thought i liked the plain and straight forward approach of melda.
The plugins are so deep that it's hard to find a way to present all the parameters, so they just went for a pretty simplistic - no eye candy approach.

But i have to admit, it probably has something to do with the fact i haven't been using it as much.
when i open DMG plugins, i work FAST. I am wondering whether system 1 will be the same.

When i first saw it i didn't think twice. I had just moved to bitwig and to be honest i can achieve most of this stuff in bitwig. BUT im back in studio one for quite a few projects now, so i am having another think about this system.

I think my main issue with it is the simplicity. Maybe i am wrong, but i want to have much more control over my compression. I also like the look of the dynamic EQ, but it doesnt look like you can do much with the sidechain? That is a deal breaker for me.
Thats the one thing you know you will get with melda - access to all parameters (or thereabout)

No I didn't buy the HOFA system. Can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't seem to gel with the HOFA plugins in general. I have their DDP CD authoring system but got severely disappointed that they never properly updated it even though it has quite a few oddities and bugs (they did promise to update it more than a year ago).. so yeah, I'm a bit burned out on HOFA in general.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 pm No I didn't buy the HOFA system. Can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't seem to gel with the HOFA plugins in general. I have their DDP CD authoring system but got severely disappointed that they never properly updated it even though it has quite a few oddities and bugs (they did promise to update it more than a year ago).. so yeah, I'm a bit burned out on HOFA in general.
Yeah, it feels like a bit of a shame tbh. I remember their stuff sounding really good...but it just seems to miss the mark a tiny bit. For me it's the GUI. Also, with their modular plugin, i feel like they have simplified the modules way too much. I don't really see the point of having such an in depth framework if all the modules are so simple?? no chance of altering the sidechain input of the dynamic eq? seems really odd to me. I am sure the sound is great though, which is why it is a shame.

Return to “Effects”