HOFA System 1 multi-fx: 20 modules for €50

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HOFA SYSTEM All Bundle HOFA SYSTEM basic

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa-system/basic/

If you scroll down it gives the limitations
Last edited by ere2learn on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Chris-S wrote:Hi,
now there is also a free version :

https://hofa-plugins.de/plugins/hofa-system/basic/

cheers
I downloaded and installed it.

Problem is, none of the FX are editable. You can't even change the delay time of a delay.
Yes you can. You just can't sync to host tempo.
As soon as I try to touch ANY controls on ANY of the FX I get a message pop up that tells me I have to upgrade to do this.

So don't tell me what this thing can and CAN'T do.

ere2learn wrote:https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa-system/basic/

Excuse me but I can't read German.

wagtunes wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

cheers

Problem is, none of the FX are editable. You can't even change the delay time of a delay.
As soon as I try to touch ANY controls on ANY of the FX I get a message pop up that tells me I have to upgrade to do this.

Then consider that I'm telling KVR what this thing can and can't do, and you can disregard it and continue living in your own fantasy world where everything you say is correct and everything anyone else says is dogsh*t. I was only trying to help, wag, but once again you find a way to be rude. So peace, move on.

Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

cheers

Then consider that I'm telling KVR what this thing can and can't do, and you can disregard it and continue living in your own fantasy world where everything you say is correct and everything anyone else says is dogsh*t. I was only trying to help, wag, but once again you find a way to be rude. So peace, move on.
Then there's a bug in my installation because I can't modify anything.

It is always the best to rant in public first and then to consider there might be a bug or even contact the support :lol: What a great time for devs to be alive which still have to be polite and spent time supporting those people...

HSum wrote:It is always the best to rant in public first and then to consider there might be a bug or even contact the support :lol: What a great time for devs to be alive which still have to be polite and spent time supporting those people...
You know what? If I get a message from a piece of software "Must upgrade to access this function" I kind of take it at its word.

And I'm not ranting. I downloaded it. I tried it. It's ridiculously limited so I'm putting it aside, for now. I'm not totally discounting getting this sometime in the future because with all its limitations, it still sounds excellent. I guess the company figures that's enough to get people to upgrade.

I'm not quite there yet.

But look at the "What's New At KVR Audio" to the right.

HOFA-Plugins releases SYSTEM basic (Free)

Yeah, but not really. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a problem with this because I too, as another poster said, would not have downloaded had I known the actual reality.

After reading the webpage it obviously isn't that limited. Additionally I think if you'd have more access you'd just spent time twiddling the presets to get your final results and there would be no reason buying it anyways. Like it is know it's mainly a preset machine. Some of them will work on your mix, some of them won't. Use it for free or don't or if you want more access, buy it. If you have trouble with it, please contact the support first. They can tell you exactly (better than anyone in here) what to do ^^

I don't know exactly, but aren't there for example special free versions of synths that are just capable of loading presets and changing the cutoff or deactivating fx like reverb? Isn't that a similar system?

I am far from ranting on the devellopers, I have contacted support immediately (of course and logically there will be no answer until tomorrow german time) and I can read german but the description is just wrong leading (if it is not a bug but it really dont look like):

- as I said before: you have NOT access to all presets like it is clearly written on the page

- like wag: from the presets I can access I dont get access to ANY of the controls (not even the AMOUNT of the effect, NOTHING)

That is NOT written in the limitations (I am german and I think I can unterstand what they have written....).

It is o.k. to offer a limited version but limitations should be clear and correct and I just find them kind of "clumsy".

I have downloaded cause after the description I thought: "wow, thats really a lot they offer, I can HEAR how all the presets sound" and was really thinking in compare to the new IK Tracks 5, all the new Izotope stuff, lets just see. I know they make great stuff and the idea behind is absolutely great, but these are different things for me.

HSum wrote:After reading the webpage it obviously isn't that limited. Additionally I think if you'd have more access you'd just spent time twiddling the presets to get your final results and there would be no reason buying it anyways. Like it is know it's mainly a preset machine. Some of them will work on your mix, some of them won't. Use it for free or don't or if you want more access, buy it. If you have trouble with it, please contact the support first. They can tell you exactly (better than anyone in here) what to do ^^

I don't know exactly, but aren't there for example special free versions of synths that are just capable of loading presets and changing the cutoff or deactivating fx like reverb? Isn't that a similar system?
Of the 100 plus synths I own, there are maybe 1 or 2 with stripped down versions such as Dune BE. But most synths have a demo version. It's good for so many days, or has noise or presets can't be saved. But they are fully functional as far as tweaking the parameters so that you are able to see what the synth can do.

In this case, all you can hear is the quality of the FX as far as sound goes. You can't actually use them.

But my bigger problem is with the terminology used. The "limited" synths don't say "Free version." They say demo version. So you know right up front that you're getting something that you probably can't use to make a final song with because of those limitations. You know this going in. You're mostly demoing to see two things.

1. Does it work? If it blows up your machine you don't want to buy it first and then find out.

2. Do you like the sound? If so and the synth works, most people will probably buy it unless there is some glaring problem like too small a GUI or a workflow that's painful or something that's going to be different for each individual. My only bitch with synths aside from not working or a bad sound (rare for me) is poor GUIs. If those 3 things are fine, I'm most likely buying the synth even if it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But in the case with Hofa, you're lead to believe you're getting, not a demo, but a free version of the synth. To me, free means usable. NI's Reptika (might have spelling wrong) is free and you can change ALL the parameters. THAT is what I expected with Hofa. Maybe stripped down versions or maybe only a few of the FX. But what I got was a preset player that either fits your track or it doesn't. That, to me, is worthless.

That is my problem with the difference between synth demos and Hofa.

They are not the same.

I have made a more detailed test, know I would not exclude the possibility of a bug anymore cause the only two preset categories where I can get access to components of the surface are "reverb" and "spatial", all other categories, NOTHING, surface just "overgrayed", info only in full version, that could not be the way it is planned, so I will just wait until tomorrow and for an answer from the support before uninstalling.

But it is kind of strange and whatever else it might be already have won the prize of "the most unusual free version limitation" :lol:

Shortly thought about halloween, but even in germany it ist still a few days away :lol:

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I saw the special download manager system whatever it is and noped out of there. If support gets back to you I'd love to hear it but I need a compelling reason to go through that rigamarole.

As a person who owns this thing I can tell you it's quite excellent for what it is. The interface and the way the modules connect together may not be to everyone's liking but I feel the implementation and design is quite good. HOFA have their own UX ideaology but it may not be universally considered good because everyone's workflow and UI needs will be different. in terms of sound it's excellent and very versatile. well worth the price if you want to mess around with a modular muti-effects tool. In fact the price is excellent in comparison to what you get, compared to the competition.

ere2learn wrote:https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa-system/basic/

Thanks for this.
Sounds pretty impressive, it's very flexible and intuitive to use, and the processor hit is tiny.
Was expecting something far more limited, but I might end up actually using this - it would be worth every cent of the 50-euros they're asking for the full version just for what's included in this one.
None of the really dumb people I knew when I was young are young any more.

wagtunes wrote:
HSum wrote:It is always the best to rant in public first and then to consider there might be a bug or even contact the support :lol: What a great time for devs to be alive which still have to be polite and spent time supporting those people...
You know what? If I get a message from a piece of software "Must upgrade to access this function" I kind of take it at its word.

And I'm not ranting. I downloaded it. I tried it. It's ridiculously limited so I'm putting it aside, for now. I'm not totally discounting getting this sometime in the future because with all its limitations, it still sounds excellent. I guess the company figures that's enough to get people to upgrade.

I'm not quite there yet.

But look at the "What's New At KVR Audio" to the right.

HOFA-Plugins releases SYSTEM basic (Free)

Yeah, but not really. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a problem with this because I too, as another poster said, would not have downloaded had I known the actual reality.
Here's the comparison list for the free and paid versions. The EQ for example is limited to a single band, but you can load as many as needed & simply choose different frequencies. https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa-system/basic/

Return to “Effects”