HOFA System 1 multi-fx: 20 modules for €50

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HOFA SYSTEM All Bundle HOFA SYSTEM basic

stepkus wrote:I asked them about the cost of the upcomming modules: The price for the entry module will go up to 80 EUR and each module will cost around the same.
As they plan 10 modules at the moment it seems it will cost nearly the same as Meldas MXXX, which I already own... so no need to hurry, all you can save are 30 EUR of a 800+ EUR plugin!
80€ per additional module? If so, then the add-ons must be a lot better, feature-wise and looks, than the initial 20. Or did they mean up to 80€ for each 'suite' of modules?

Meanwhile, MXXX has extensive Modulation, Multiparamters, Easy mode, Styles (to taste), A...H preset slots and more. Now, If I could get some sort of rack view mode in MXXX ... ;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I think they mean per suite

But yes they are pretty basic

double-post
Last edited by jens on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

DarkStar wrote:
stepkus wrote:I asked them about the cost of the upcomming modules: The price for the entry module will go up to 80 EUR and each module will cost around the same.
As they plan 10 modules at the moment it seems it will cost nearly the same as Meldas MXXX, which I already own... so no need to hurry, all you can save are 30 EUR of a 800+ EUR plugin!
80€ per additional module? If so, then the add-ons must be a lot better, feature-wise and looks, than the initial 20. Or did they mean up to 80€ for each 'suite' of modules?

They call the individual add ons "Suite" - we'll see how many (if multiple) modules each Suite contains... but either way each Suite offers most probably extensive possibilities - and also there might be an intro price for each Suite.

The base system they are offering now already contains what seems to be a full fledged algo reverb - plus EQ, plus compressor, plus distortion, delay, etc. - all most probably pretty basic - but it's still all in all probably more powerful than (say) Expnential Audio's Nimbus (which also is algo reverb plus comp, etc. ).

It all comes down to how good and musical the individual modules sound.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

aMUSEd wrote:Just a pity that apart from the reverb it seems to have such boring and basic components, I would have preferred a multi fx with components that go better with a reverb

Price is good though

What level of interaction is there between components, eg can they modulate each other, can you create macros? Seems the level of modularity is pretty basic, wish someone would come up with a more fully modular fx system (I mean something like a modular synth with a completely open signal and modulation path).

Try the demo and you will be pleasantly surprised. I bought it at the presale price thinking it will be a nice mixing tool and really just bought it for the reverb but was quite shocked when I got it. The modulation is fantastic and pretty much anything can be modulated in multi band or mid/side configurations. Also, go through the feedback loops they have on the delays in the presets to see the power of this little beast.

They have a little distortion plugin which is quite basic and this sounds fantastic too.

Tons of presets.

someone needs to kick their website store designer in the crotch. what kind of stupid f**king password system stops you using special characters? and puts a limit on the password length?

hey kids, lets make brute-force password cracking a million times easier, just because.

idiots.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:someone needs to kick their website store designer in the crotch. what kind of stupid f**king password system stops you using special characters? and puts a limit on the password length?

hey kids, lets make brute-force password cracking a million times easier, just because.

idiots.
We were asked to limit the length of passwords in a public facing system because "they'll never remember them and it will cause us more work admin-wise". We convinced them otherwise.

aMUSEd wrote:Just a pity that apart from the reverb it seems to have such boring and basic components, I would have preferred a multi fx with components that go better with a reverb

Price is good though

What level of interaction is there between components, eg can they modulate each other, can you create macros? Seems the level of modularity is pretty basic,
It's how you use those basic components - they're a nice little set of building blocks to build out more complex fx. The demo presets give a good feel for what you can do with them. Modulation seems the weak spot to me though - it's just basic LFOs unless I missed something.

Personally I much prefer Melda's MXXXcore which can be bought for the same sort of money when they do the 50% off offer. You can do crazy good things with just the core effects, like creating complex multitap delays with extensive filtering, modulating the heck out of every parameter, creating simpler user interfaces for main parameters, and even build out arpeggiator-able multi-oscillator synths that have the same oscillators as mPowersynth. And that's just with the core components.

Personally I much prefer the interface on MXXX - the HOFA interface feels a bit too unfinished and work-in-progress to me, whereas Melda has a more steeper learning curve, but once it clicks it seems the best way to have access to all that power.
wish someone would come up with a more fully modular fx system (I mean something like a modular synth with a completely open signal and modulation path).
doesn't softube modular used as an fx plugin do just that?

Oh yes, bought it too. I also never went warm with MXXX. Its ui, workflow, price and problems are very meh :roll:

Systems multiband and m/s lanes are fantastic and very easy to use. You don't have to click through 1000 popup windows. It feels more like Patcher from FL Studio. Just drag & drop what you need. It automatically knows when you want something in multiband or how the signal flow should be.

The modules are of course basic, because it just got released. I think they got selected by priority. System targets to offer solutions for mixing or mastering problems - and that's where it does a good job. Nothing fancy or experimental by now. It's a timesaver of course.

And I think they will even update the core modules. I have no doubts with that, know the update policy of their other plugins :tu:

The Routing possibilites within System 1 are quite nice - the complete omission of both any macro-functionality and modulation really baffles me though...

There is modulation, right click on the parameter. No macros that I'm aware of.

:oops:

There is indeed - dunno how I managed to miss this...

unfortunately it eats CPU like there's no tomorrow though.

Edit: strangely enough it's just the first LFO - disable it and all the other LFOs barely use any CPU - a bug apparently

Edit2: it's a buglette, but different than what I first assumed - Ignore me - I'll report it

Another thread pointed me to Hofa's free tilt EQ. From there I looked closer at System. Then I tried the demo for about 30 mins and was sold on it. So I bought it, at the dynamic EQ upgrade to the tilt EQ.

System has a good initial suite of modules which alone will be very useful for creating interesting effects. The presets sold me. There are these module "wrappers" that group a set of modules into a specific signal flow. Then, those can be wrapped, etc. It's possible to create some interesting feedback loops, multi-band effects etc. There is a decent modulation system and over-all it sounds and looks great. The modules and the whole UI have independent scale to set their size.

For 53 euro its a great deal. Try out the demo.

Numanoid wrote:Trying to find a catch...

Copy protection = Online Activation (Challenge / Response)

VAT is already included in the €50

I can't find a catch :help: :hyper:
^Is there a way to offline authorize Numanoid? Looks good, besides my being offline only with my current setup.

Really like this, it's where Ableton Live should've been. The modular workflow is fast and everything went smooth, with a great devices quality. Algoverb alone worth the admission. It's so cool that they're starting with a great sounding reverb as a highlight, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a H3000 factory coolness with reverb. Hopefully the next update will come with more interesting modules and cinematic chains for leads/synths and piano, exposing the reverb further. Never get enough of imaginative reverb, especially with this type of quality, B2 has a friend now.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Return to “Effects”