New things from Unfiltered Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Just like the Master Desk I can't bring myself to demo something that I don't know the price of and probably can't justify the purchase. It looks pretty cool but I'm not going to torment myself. I'm definitely not a fan of this new practice!

Another vote for "I'll wait until its actually released, with a price, before doing anything".

imrae wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:24 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 am I wonder why PA is now doing this prerelease demo thing where they don't actually sell it for a while and don't even mention the price.
I can think of one reason...
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect
I like that... I generally only demo if I've already decided to get something, know the price, and want to check a specific thing or two.

I for sure have the 'annoyed by not knowing the price effect.'
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Intresting wikipedia link.
I was curious about the idea behind the presale.
It seems so annoying but I knew there must be some economic point in PA behaviour.

Makes no difference to me, I will buy plugin if its priced right,but still in my mind somehow PA feels a bit unfriendly.... or not so ”nice” as before.
Why they need to make these marketing tricks?
Normal price 299€ but now 29€, or this presale thing?
Is it really 100% sure that they would sell less if they just sold everything 29€ without presale or vouchers or sales or any marketing gimmics?
Seems weird if that kind of thing works :)

Noise forFiction wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pmWhy they need to make these marketing tricks?
Normal price 299€ but now 29€, or this presale thing?
Is it really 100% sure that they would sell less if they just sold everything 29€ without presale or vouchers or sales or any marketing gimmics?
Seems weird if that kind of thing works :)
A large part of this high-sticker-price-with-occasional-huge-sales thing is that, when you always have to be looking out for the next sale, it keeps you paying attention to their company. And then, when the sale does come, these companies get lots of people doing free PR for them by talking about their products in forums like this, with all the "should I go for this sale / is product Y better than product X" threads. This is not to say that the products themselves aren't good, but it's still a big ol' GAS pump.

sandbags wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 am Another vote for "I'll wait until its actually released, with a price, before doing anything".
Yup. I don’t demo stuff until it’s officially released or a price is known. I demo and buy u-he as they announce the price beforehand.

Hey, sorry if this has been discussed but I can't find anything.

Does BYOME cover everything Zip and Sandman Pro do?

Also, well done Unfiltered crew, BYOME is awesome!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 pmSeems like the plan might have backfired, as quite a few of us won't even touch the thing until we know we are going to be able to afford it :scared:
Yup, it's what I am doing. I'm expecting a price somewhere where I can not justify to buy. But time will tell.

After "launch without price" now this "launch without price and official announcement on KVR & GS" seems to be PA's latest idea in trying really really clever advertising spins.
Playing tricks with their customers while this play is obvious for everyone is kind of embarrassing.
Does anyone have a link to the BYOME individual installer?
I don't want to use their installation manager.

Strange:
A company enables without big announcement a 14 days test period for a product before official launch. Nobody is forced to test it. But every second guy here is claiming and whining...
Question:
Why don‘t you just ignore this testing possibility?

martinjuenke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 am Strange:
A company enables without big announcement a 14 days test period for a product before official launch. Nobody is forced to test it. But every second guy here is claiming and whining...
Question:
You're doing the same thing. It's called ”voicing an opinion” and its a very human thing to do. Including the judgemental bit.

m/

sandbags wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 am
Question:
You're doing the same thing. It's called ”voicing an opinion” and its a very human thing to do. Including the judgemental bit.

m/
No opinions, just facts! For example, at our place the front door faces toward the street

sandbags wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 am
Question:

m/
Wrong.
I‘m happy to have the possibility to test it before buying. That‘s not a matter of course with other developers (eg Falcon UVI).
I‘m mentally strong enough to decide then if I pay or not.

I agree, I think its great that such a potentially expensive plugin is even available to try.
I think this is the best multi fx plugin to come out for a long time.

As with all modular things, it has me wanting more though!
I wish for more than one Audio path. and Multiband splitters. Then it would be ultimate haha.
I know I know feature creep, but then I wouldn't need Mxxx anymore, and Byome is so much more fun to play with!

My one main complaint so far is the Sample reduction in the Bitcrush effect. I love the fact that there is a global sample rate knob. It has always been one of my favourite things about UA plugs...
BUT the sample reducer in the the Bitcrush leaves me wanting. a lot!
This has always been one of my go to tools in sound design, but here the fact that it sets a percentage of Sample rate really doesn't work well for me. I think it should sweep though the frequencies in an exponential fashion?
I don't know but All the good stuff happens in the bottom 10% of the knob and as a result of it being squashed into such a small range it is horribly stepped.
I tried using the exponent modulator, and that helped a little bit but got no where near fixing the problem. Maybe I am using it wrong??
Also it stops at 1% and that doesn't really go as far as I would like. I think this is also because it is a percentage of sample rate(ie Linear) when it should be exponential... not 100% sure here, but every other sample reducer I have does not work like this and gives you the option to take it a bit further and completely destroy the signal with rate reduction.

I just had to double check with the Sample reducer in Zebra2, one in Serum and also sonalksis tbk2 and they all sounded way superior. When I say superior, I mean smooth and they give you the whole range. (Sonalksis even has the option for smooth or stepped. best of both worlds!)

My 2c anyway.... Otherwise Super amazeballs plugin.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

martinjuenke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:16 am I‘m mentally strong enough to decide then if I pay or not.
Nobody is denying that you have free will on some level. But you must acknowledge that psychological manipulation is possible, and can influence people to make less-rational decisions. There's potential there to be quite anti-social, so society needs to decide which marketing tactics are acceptable and which are unduly manipulative. Generally people agree that "presenting with attractive artwork" and "displaying prominently" are acceptable, "outright deception" is not and "targeting children" is borderline. If we see a new tactic, it's worth thinking about where it sits.

FWIW I think this approach is a bit distasteful, but less offensive than the Waves ads that follow me around the internet and drain my attention span.

Return to “Effects”