XLN RC-20 Retro Color

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RC-20 Retro Color

It's half off right now. Is this still worth picking up?

If you want to degrade your audio signal like the things it emulates, then yes. It sounds pretty good to me.
A well-behaved signature.

it is good, if only a bit too obviously LFO'ish. instability controls help but not by much.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It has one of the most pleasant workflows of any multieffect.

The only module that is LFOish to me is the tape wobble, which uses sine waves but you can set wow and flutter to different rates to make it more irregular, and the flux control can add more randomness. But honestly, it works better when it's just below noticeable. If you turn it up to cartoonish levels then that's what you get.

When you combine it with other modules it becomes less noticeable as well. It helps to pair wobble with magnetic since it completes the tape effect, and magnetic wear is a gliding randomness, while flutter can be set to a different rate from wobble.

Personally, I love it. Dead-easy to throw it on a synthwave track or do one of those 80s-style YouTube videos. Or turn the magnitude down and add some tasteful and subtle color. The module selections complement each other and it's got just enough controls to be self-contained and complete without being too cluttered. Also, automate the knobs with your DAW; the plugin exposes the parameters and they adjust smoothly.

OP, XLN provides a free demo/trial. Why not see if it's for you?

I am a big fan of this plugin. I love what it does to guitar and percussion sounds in particular.

Like other posters, I absolutely love RC-20. Definitely worth the regular price, but especially worth it at half off.

Anyone selling this??

I got this for like $33 a couple weeks back, super cool plug! Scott Hansen from Tycho peaked my interest.

It's half off again until feb 26th, highly recommended!
Video game music arrangements and compositions:
https://www.youtube.com/c/LordBifMusic

Love this plugin for pitch warble and the distortion is excellent.

Really useful. You could of course produce all the effects with other plug-ins, but the way they're done in RC20 makes it quick to get something usable and the flux and magnitude settings make it easy to make the effects more dynamic. A bargain now it's on sale again.

How is the CPU usage on this?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:46 pm How is the CPU usage on this?
Depends on how many modules you have on, but very low generally. Usually around 5% or so on my old 4th gen i7.

One of my fav lo-fi type of plugs. Very underrated!

Will it be on sale again soon?

Return to “Effects”