XLN RC-20 Retro Color

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RC-20 Retro Color

stardustmedia wrote:How does it compare to Vinyl Strip from AudioThing?
What are the pros and cons compared to Vinyl Strip?
There's no comparison! Vinylstrip is cool for extremely subtle vinyl-esque touches. RC-20 can completely obliterate your audio. As was mentioned above: RC-20 really shines when automating it. Vinylstrip adds a little flavor, but doesn't have a life of its own like an automated RC! (Hopefully someone can come along and give you better pros and cons than I did! :hihi: )

Retro color.

The effect of the VHS preset.. (it works)
- WonderEcho -

i'm having a problem with Retro Color. Sometimes it crashes Ableton. First audio stops and after a minute or so Ableton crashs. Tested on the independent PCs with win 10 64bit Ableton Live 9.7.3 (also with 9.7.1) and different audio interfaces (RME/Focusrite).
I thought maybe this has something to do with Sonarworks, but otherwise i don't have any problems on the system.

Anyone else had this?

dermage wrote:i'm having a problem with Retro Color. Sometimes it crashes Ableton. First audio stops and after a minute or so Ableton crashs. Tested on the independent PCs with win 10 64bit Ableton Live 9.7.3 (also with 9.7.1) and different audio interfaces (RME/Focusrite).
I thought maybe this has something to do with Sonarworks, but otherwise i don't have any problems on the system.

Anyone else had this?
I have a similar setup and haven't experienced any issues but i've really not used it that much. From my experience, i had a few strange issues with DC-10 initially and XLN customer support were very helpful, turned out to be an issue with the universal installer app.

ok, i guess i'll contact them then, maybe this is a known issue for them.
Do you also have Systemwide from Sonarworks installed? (I don't disable it when the reference Plugin is running since it is activated on another channel)

This is on sale for half price. Is it still worth getting?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I feel like I either want to get this on sale or Echomelt. Can't make up my mind.

dermage wrote:i'm having a problem with Retro Color. Sometimes it crashes Ableton. First audio stops and after a minute or so Ableton crashs. Tested on the independent PCs with win 10 64bit Ableton Live 9.7.3 (also with 9.7.1) and different audio interfaces (RME/Focusrite).

Anyone else had this?
I've had the same issue. Infact, somehow it crashed and then the new PA Fiedler Stage wouldn't work. I had to delete the pref and undo.

-dw

dusted william wrote: I've had the same issue. Infact, somehow it crashed and then the new PA Fiedler Stage wouldn't work. I had to delete the pref and undo.

-dw

do you also use Sonarworks?
It still happens for me with Ableton Live 9.7.5 64, RetroColor 1.03, Sonarworks 4.0.74
But maybe it has something to do with Plugin Alliance stuff as i'm using some of their stuff like console e/g/n, black box, karacter, vsm3, unfiltered audio mostly.

dermage wrote:do you also use Sonarworks?
It still happens for me with Ableton Live 9.7.5 64, RetroColor 1.03, Sonarworks 4.0.74
But maybe it has something to do with Plugin Alliance stuff as i'm using some of their stuff like console e/g/n, black box, karacter, vsm3, unfiltered audio mostly.
Did you look at Ableton's crash log? Also, when you're diagnosing stuff, you have to eliminate variables one at a time. If the crash log doesn't tell you anything, get rid of one thing at a time and see if it still happens. If it stops then you know which one is the problem. Keep repeating until there's only one thing to test.

I use both (and PA stuff too) but I've never had either crash on me.

I started using bluecat patchwork for RC-20 and Fiedler Stage... no crashes anymore.

I just bought Retro Color, and I already have both iZotope Vinyl and AudioEase Speakerphone 2. This is definitely the most fun of the three.

Vinyl is much more limited, and Speakerphone, while pretty extraordinary, is much more focused on getting very particular sounds (of the sort that are useful when doing sound for picture, which is why I bought it). Retro Color is very "musical." And it will also let you totally a destroy a signal (in a good way).

But man, someone in this thread mentioned the irritating installation procedure. They weren't kidding. It is the most byzantine system I've ever seen. Installing Kyma is easier. Putting together a UAD rig is more straightforward. Ilok is way less fiddly. Perhaps they are trying to recreate the experience of maintaining tube and tape hardware? Amazing.

But it's a great plugin. No question about it. The different effects are *very* carefully modeled, to the point that they are probably indistinguishable from some far more expensive sources of saturation I have in my arsenal. If you're into tape and tubes, this is a must have.

sramsay wrote:I just bought Retro Color, and I already have both iZotope Vinyl and AudioEase Speakerphone 2. This is definitely the most fun of the three.

Vinyl is much more limited, and Speakerphone, while pretty extraordinary, is much more focused on getting very particular sounds (of the sort that are useful when doing sound for picture, which is why I bought it). Retro Color is very "musical." And it will also let you totally a destroy a signal (in a good way).

But man, someone in this thread mentioned the irritating installation procedure. They weren't kidding. It is the most byzantine system I've ever seen. Installing Kyma is easier. Putting together a UAD rig is more straightforward. Ilok is way less fiddly. Perhaps they are trying to recreate the experience of maintaining tube and tape hardware? Amazing.

But it's a great plugin. No question about it. The different effects are *very* carefully modeled, to the point that they are probably indistinguishable from some far more expensive sources of saturation I have in my arsenal. If you're into tape and tubes, this is a must have.
Yeah, RC is one of those plugins, that to get it installed and authorized, you have to let first the whole XLN Audio plugin managering system to take over your computer. I hate this kind of "totalitarian installers", this means that if you have been a bit longer in the busines (of the project studios), you have 10+ different developer plugin managers/authorizers running in your poor computer. :evil:

yellowmix wrote:
dermage wrote:do you also use Sonarworks?
Did you look at Ableton's crash log? Also, when you're diagnosing stuff, you have to eliminate variables one at a time. If the crash log doesn't tell you anything, get rid of one thing at a time and see if it still happens. If it stops then you know which one is the problem. Keep repeating until there's only one thing to test.

I use both (and PA stuff too) but I've never had either crash on me.
It seems I may have got it sorted by upgrading all PA plugins to the October versions. They fixed a lot there and maybe that was the reason RC-20 was hanging. Also sent Debug logs to XLN on dec. 30th, but not heard from them yet.

Russell Grand wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:How does it compare to Vinyl Strip from AudioThing?
What are the pros and cons compared to Vinyl Strip?
There's no comparison! Vinylstrip is cool for extremely subtle vinyl-esque touches. RC-20 can completely obliterate your audio. As was mentioned above: RC-20 really shines when automating it. Vinylstrip adds a little flavor, but doesn't have a life of its own like an automated RC! (Hopefully someone can come along and give you better pros and cons than I did! :hihi: )
I have vinylstrip, rc20, echomelt, sonitex, vinyl, and speakerphone. They are all worth having if you are into Lo-Fi sounds, but rc20 and speakerphone are by far the most versatile if you are only gonna have one or two. Rc-20 has a buttload of options but is not as controllable as it could be. That being said it can do almost anything dirty you might want to do to a sound and it's worth full price and definitely worth buying when it drops down to a sale price.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”