d16 Repeater thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repeater

Compyfox wrote:Right... :roll:
Doesn't answer the Q though - but I guess... "opinions".

You still take out that delay for breakfast though?
[/movie moment]
watch any video with Steven Slate in it, therein lies the A to tha Q.
seems on the level, but on closer inspection is simply full of itself
or visa versa, whatever, i'm too tired.
and yes, breakfast is complimentary.

sqigls wrote:there's a line in the movie Pulp Fiction. Where the fixer "The Wolf", says to his girlfriend "you ARE a character, but that doesn't mean you HAVE character".
It's amazing how good that film was.

Like I said I've tried them all and what usually happens is I'll play guitar with it and get lost in the "whoooaaaa dude, wow awesome echo dude" thing.

But for whatever reason I'm trying this (and against what I have) and it's different.

Really glad that it's a long demo and unobtrusive. Thanks d16!

sqigls wrote:watch any video with Steven Slate in it, therein lies the A to tha Q.
seems on the level, but on closer inspection is simply full of itself
or visa versa, whatever, i'm too tired.
I take all Slate marketing videos with a gigantic grain of salt and rather test myself.

And I came to one big conclusion: If you're already covered in that area, you might not really need this plugin. If you're after a different sound, you might find this plugin interesting. If you're a collector, well... keep on doing what you do.

What I don't get, is the commentary "should cost way lower" or "it's nothing special - tool XYZ can wipe the floor with it". You know, the argumentation sometimes doesn't make any sense, or the discussion around it as to "can you please further explain as to why?" is completely ignored.

Look - I don't want to sell this thing to you.
But I believe in constructive criticism so that people can build upon that, improve, grow with their company. If people keep on saying "this is crap - and overpriced - and crap - because I say so!"... this doesn't help anyone.

In contrast (and the developers know this already):
My main points of criticism are these...

1) there is no "mono-tab" mode. This is a strict stereo/dual tab delay. Even with running a M/S tool post the delay, it's not really working out like you'd expect with a mono/mono-tab delay. So a feature implementation to turn one tab off would be nice, which in turn would this thing make even more flexible for studio usage. Then even the subtitle "Delays for days" would work out

2) on that behalf... we have a lot of tape machines (or tape "sounds") built in, and we can create a "mono, 2-head" machine (have one head at 1/4th and one at 1/8th dot, pan both in center). But you can't pull off speed change effects anymore that most other tape machine clones can do (Echoplex, Roland, Wem Watkins, etc). So there could be room for improvement, IMO. But I do understand the idea behind the tool being a "wide stereo field" studio solution rather than abusing that thing for dub/reggae (which is possible - Feedback oscillation is implemented, but tape speed with locked head positions... not so much).

Then others mentioned that the buffer of the plugin could be flushed if you stop the playback (workaround is reducing the Feedback to 0 temporarily), there might be even more things.

This would actually help "improve" a tool in question rather than constantly being like "It's snake oil", "it's overpriced", "other tools are better". Yes - we get that. Then either use these tools and move on (as mentioned, plenty of tools on the market already), or give feedback to help further "shaping" the product for possible updates or a v2.

That is what I am aiming at!

sqigls wrote:and yes, breakfast is complimentary.
Gentlemen points go to you, sir! :tu:

incubus wrote:But for whatever reason I'm trying this (and against what I have) and it's different.
I take this is a good thing?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I really like Repeater for its simplicity and looking forward to improvments and hopefully more models along the way.
I would like to see a nice sweep on the two delays (as mentioned for dub style effects), hopefully another FR for the future.

On subject of dub reggae a quick rough (with emphasis on rough) demo using Repeater for delay and some verbsuite for reverb across multiple channels in Maschine. Gives a distinct idea of what it's capable of using several different models, ping pong, analog/digital delay effects, colourizing, low pass/high pass feedback etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7v8o5 ... BZQmM/view

Well, @models: Here's my thoughts even though it's not worth much.

I never care about how close something is to the original. It's simply a matter of getting the sound in my head from point a to b. That being said, the different "models" seem to be nothing more than eq. So I can understand the disappointment for some tekies.

rod_zero wrote:NI probably will have is annual 50% black friday sale so you can get replika xt for 50.

great deal, one of the best delays around.
Most of us should own Replika anyway, since it was last year´s christmas freebie.

So those should be able to get the upgrade for $25 this black friday...

:tu:

EDIT: Nope, the upgrade isn´t discounted...
Last edited by soulone82 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think it was like 3 years ago, but who's counting :hihi:

I would not be surprised if d16 and Slate released this plugin as an A/B test to see how different methods of copy protection affect sales numbers.
You are currently reading my signature.

That is actually an interesting point of view.

HOWEVER... I don't think we'll see Slate Digital moving away from iLok in the near future.

soulone82 wrote:So those should be able to get the upgrade for $25 this black friday...
I should check my account then... a friend of mine raves about this delay up and down. Won't be the first time it'll be on sale though...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
soulone82 wrote:So those should be able to get the upgrade for $25 this black friday...
I should check my account then... a friend of mine raves about this delay up and down. Won't be the first time it'll be on sale though...
Even at full price, it's a no-brainer (imo) :tu:

Compyfox wrote:Oh right... so... this particular delay has no character, even with the following features offered (official routing chart as depicted in the manual)...

that's the thing, the only real difference in any of these Repeater models is that filter stage in there (actually, that's probably showing the LPF/HPF so there's another "character filter/eq" in there that we're not seeing). anyway, those "featured offered" don't automatically mean that this thing has any "character", that's a pretty basic signal flow for pretty much any delay unit. they're pretty much all identical except for some tonal (filter/eq) variation, they all act the same (though the tape models do exhibit the behavior of tape when manual modulating the delay time).

what i find worst (and pretty much unacceptable) is that they don't feedback like any of the originals. you have to get to +105% (wtf?) for any of them to really start going wild on themselves. that's ridiculous. most of the range of the feedback knob gives almost zero change in behavior, like it sticks at 2 or 3 repeats until you get to something like 70%. the "analog" button obviously just seems to be a LPF slapped on top to "darken" it a bit.

really disappointed with this thing. does sound very nice for "typical" uses though.

jbuonacc wrote:that's the thing, the only real difference in any of these Repeater models is that filter stage in there (actually, that's probably showing the LPF/HPF so there's another "character filter/eq" in there that we're not seeing). anyway, those "featured offered" don't automatically mean that this thing has any "character", that's a pretty basic signal flow for pretty much any delay unit. they're pretty much all identical except for some tonal (filter/eq) variation, they all act the same (though the tape models do exhibit the behavior of tape when manual modulating the delay time).
To my understanding, the "models" are seated prior to the clipper. The "feedback" mode is connected to the Analog button as well, which in turn does add a different "degradation" of the sound during repeats.

jbuonacc wrote:what i find worst (and pretty much unacceptable) is that they don't feedback like any of the originals. you have to get to +105% (wtf?) for any of them to really start going wild on themselves. that's ridiculous.
You do talk about self oscillation. Other delays start to do that with 50-60% already indeed. Which I found a bit too much. With the way how Repeater works, you have a tad more control, a "higher range" for fine tuning so to speak. It's both good and bad. Good for the detail, bad for less repeats.

jbuonacc wrote:most of the range of the feedback knob gives almost zero change in behavior, like it sticks at 2 or 3 repeats until you get to something like 70%.
My findings were, the hotspot between 50-70%, and yes, that is a bit tame. There are more repeats if you turn off the analog mode however.

And I guess this is where the constructive criticism comes in - did you forward your findings to the developers yet?

jbuonacc wrote:the "analog" button obviously just seems to be a LPF slapped on top to "darken" it a bit.
Feel like it, but it's definitely something more, and can be clearly noticed in terms of what is happening if you go into self-oscillation >105%

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Even at full price, it's a no-brainer (imo) :tu:
Appreciate your thoughts on REPLIKA XT, man. But I really have to test it first(!). And honestly, I picked up the freebie back in the days, and it did NOT blow me out of the water. Especially now after things like HY-DELAY. Still have a couple of days until "Black Friday" is over though.

Compyfox wrote:... REPLIKA XT, man. But I really have to test it first(!). And honestly, I picked up the freebie back in the days, and it did NOT blow me out of the water.
finally tested/demo'd that along with Repeater (as well as pulling out Echoboy, Primal Tap, Timeless 2, DubStation, and my all time favorite ET-301). very impressed with Replika XT, will definitely be upgrading to that in the near future.

Personally, I took my XT upgrade money and spent it on PolygonSheep Stealth Delay.
Really usable and high quality overdrive and effects...
It's flipping awesome.

Return to “Effects”