MAGC, a new FREE utility

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

just a little new thing - MAGC, a simple but powerful utility that adjusts the loudness to match the side-chain, has been released. It is FREE and has been added to MXXX and MPowerSynth as well.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I played with this a bit earlier. It has nearly endless uses. Very nice of you to give it out. I found a way to use it for a simple mastering first pass to get all tracks to nice relative levels before moving to more in depth processing. Just using it and watching what it's doing gives tons of valuable info without even using the processed output. Thanks again.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

:love:
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

i don't understand this plugin

its to make a track as loud as another track used in side-chain ?
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Actually it hasn't been designed for that, but seems people are using it for that as well.
But mainly try this:

send to MAGC sidechain -> some eq -> some comp -> some other pluglins... -> MAGC

This way you will literally avoid any loudness change caused by the plugins in between. If you use only Melda plugins, you don't need it, since almost all of them have AGC internally, but sometimes it may be handy anyways.
Vojtech

I use it as a gate, sidechain a short hat sample to MAGC (speed about 50ms) and gate a pad, the louder the hat sample the louder the gated signal the longer the sample the longer the gate.(try a drumloop) You can make some nice rhythmic gates that way. 8)

Isn't it kind of like removing the pain receptors from your body? It seems like a great idea at first until you look down and realize that your foot is on fire :P (i.e. you're clipping your plugins because you're not getting the auditory warnings about the gain staging from one plugin to the next).

Use with caution, is all i'm saying!

For the extreme cases there's the safety limiter ;) (limiter button).
Vojtech

i still dont understand how this works. "send to magc sidechain" send what? so two Magc's on the channel strip?

Another use case for something like this:
Have a reference track (a song, pink noise) and use it as the sidechain for an instance of this plugin on all buses. Then let the plugin level the buses output for a quick auto mix. Then adjust to taste.

ohh okay. Make sense. It needs to be on a bus to tell what the original signal was to begin with

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:27 am I played with this a bit earlier. It has nearly endless uses. Very nice of you to give it out. I found a way to use it for a simple mastering first pass to get all tracks to nice relative levels before moving to more in depth processing. Just using it and watching what it's doing gives tons of valuable info without even using the processed output. Thanks again.
I would appreciate it if you elaborated further. sounds cool

Yeager wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm I use it as a gate, sidechain a short hat sample to MAGC (speed about 50ms) and gate a pad, the louder the hat sample the louder the gated signal the longer the sample the longer the gate.(try a drumloop) You can make some nice rhythmic gates that way. 8)
whats the difference from using a compressor to do this. Im just trying to get a grasp of this simple yet deep plugin

Took me a while to find out. Melda manuals are not telling you upfront what tools do. Otherwise, outstanding quality and diversity.

Whether you want to do heavy processing, such as pumping compression or just a bit of trim of the lower bass, it is easy to get fooled by the volume changes that go with it. You might want to compensate with the volume fader manually each time you change a parameter in the effect you are tweaking or just apply Melda's mAGC. Place it immediately after the effect you are tweaking and set the sidechain input of mAGC to the beginning of this same track. mAGC will aim to match the volume from the 'sidechain' ie. from before the effect(s) and after. You just need to make sure the input and output is 0 and that range is high enough - I set it to max. Set speed and psycho-accustics to taste.
This is especially revealing when you have already added and tweaked some effects and are happy with the outcome. When you do the check of what the effects actually the in and out volume being actually the same, you are able to take a truly esthetic decision rather than get fooled by illusion fed by volume change.

The difference between mAGC and a compressor is that mAGC does only change the volume, whereas compressor does some squeezing, too.

Setup in ableton, click the downward triangle next to mAGC on button (ableton interface) to uncover sidechain menu. Drop downs - the track you are on, and pre-FX - this is just the clip or the instrument sound.

I hope this explains it.

Thanks Melda Team for the great job you do.

Can this be used as a level rider for vocals?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”