Signalizer: Sidechaining update! Open-source & free audio visualization plugin (v. 0.4.3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is so going in the direction I want. But make it more usable. It looks already good, but currently the device feels a bit like a mess to be honest. Make a product out of it not an experiment! Not a vice looking fun toy but a serious messurement tool. :)
Last edited by midi_transmission on Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Even though the audio science behind this Signalizer has been around a rather long time, and the physics of sound is well-established, still this plugin completely blows me away. I've had dreams about having a smartly designed and nicely coded kit like this a few times. This thing is a s(M)exoscope on steroids, a present left behind by a visiting alien civilization to musicians and tonmeisters.

Even so, I fully expect that this awesome creation will be largely overlooked by the herd. Quite a few won't comprehend its value, for others it won't be shiny enough or have enough knobs and sliders on it. Still others will think it quaint, like the lava lamp mom bought them for the corner of their darkened bedroom studio.

But I want Mr Thorborg to know that a lot of us truly get it. This Signalizer is a work of art and simplicity, with the right measure of practical science at its core. I'm thinking I saw a donate button on one of those pages ...

Two things of note:

1) you can't resize the UI in Logic Pro 10.x on OSX El Capitan (10.11.6)
2) sometimes, the plugin completely nukes Logic Pro X - reason unknown - sometimes on closing the project, sometimes on loading

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't go deeper in terms of testing. But every time I'm at my studio partner's place, and use Signalizer in Logic, I run into these two issues
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I've looked, clicked and Googled and yet .... How can I get the three extra displays across the top like in the demo video?

0degree wrote:Great stuff, but where's the donate button? :)
You can find a donate button under "Contact, references & credits" on his homepage. Here's the direct link without frames.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Richard deHove wrote:I've looked, clicked and Googled and yet .... How can I get the three extra displays across the top like in the demo video?
I think what you see are four separate instances of the plugin where the windows have been arranged like that and that it's not possible to get this setup from one instance. Looks like he's using FL Studio so it might also be a feature of that DAW to arrange windows in such an organized fashion.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Oops, sorry guys! I've been relying on mail notifications but guess they've stopped, for whatever reason.
How goes the development?
I've primarily been focusing on another ridiculous plugin that's taking a lot of time. Good news is it's also using Signalizer in embedded form, so they're sharing frameworks, optimizations and - features. So I'm currently developing multichannel support for the plugin.
brok landers wrote:as much as i love this plugin, for absolute knowledge on how to get the most out of it i would soooo love an in-depth manual with an in-depth decription of what every parameter is doing and what it is good for...
I get this a lot, sorry :) I actually started doing it but realized anything that wouldn't just be an extended readme would take a sizeable amount of time (especially if I were to explain all the concepts behind the behaviour, as @compyfox said...), and figured doing the videos would be only a half-bad solution.
Compyfox wrote:Maybe it's a bug, but compared to Windows, I couldn't resize/stretch the UI. I could only push it into fullscreen mode
I will investigate this, do note that the behaviour on Logic is slightly different - you have to grab it in the lower right corner of the plugin ui, not including Logic's added border.
hopikiva wrote:I would love to see in the future a way to resize the window so that we have a flexible size, even if it's a menu choice of like 100, 200, 300 % options, etc.
Beyond the actual resizing of the window, that currently exists?
midi_transmission wrote:This is so going in the direction I want. But make it more usable. It looks already good, but currently the device feels a bit like a mess to be honest. Make a product out of it not an experiment! Not a vice looking fun toy but a serious messurement tool. :)
No offense taken, I'm not oblivious to my weaknesses (design, UX, workflow). I would definitely love to smoothen it up, but as always I balance the time needed such that developing this is still fun for me, which is my primary motivation.
MarlaPodolski wrote:(...) But I want Mr Thorborg to know that a lot of us truly get it. This Signalizer is a work of art and simplicity, with the right measure of practical science at its core.
Thank you for your kind words! It definitely helps and motivates that people appreciate the labour being put in, luckily there's no shortage so don't worry!
Compyfox wrote:2) sometimes, the plugin completely nukes Logic Pro X - reason unknown - sometimes on closing the project, sometimes on loading

But every time I'm at my studio partner's place, and use Signalizer in Logic, I run into these two issues
(See above for the resizing...)
I've fixed a couple of potential initialization bugs, especially related to Logic and the prevalence of mono channels in that program. But if you can get your friend to make a copy of the crash reports - that would help me a lot! Perhaps write me if you're up for the task, mac OS should store the crash reports somewhere. Sorry for your troubles, otherwise!
BlitBit wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:I've looked, clicked and Googled and yet .... How can I get the three extra displays across the top like in the demo video?
I think what you see are four separate instances of the plugin where the windows have been arranged like that and that it's not possible to get this setup from one instance. Looks like he's using FL Studio so it might also be a feature of that DAW to arrange windows in such an organized fashion.
Yes, just confirming it's exactly what BlitBit said :)

Currently no access to Macs, but I did try the lower right corner in various fashions. Nothing, could not resize.

My FR to offer "screen size presets" could actually fix this. Just something to keep on your "to do" list.

I hope we'll see a bigger update soon. I'd personally also love to see a "multi-channel" version (for multiple scope or FFT views in one UI) but I think we're still a bit far from that. Please keep up the good work regardless.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Currently no access to Macs, but I did try the lower right corner in various fashions. Nothing, could not resize.
It resizes on Logic here (10.11.6). You have to choose a spot very slightly above and in from the right corner.

This is amazing. :clap:
Features in the work:

Statistics
Graphs over quick/slow RMS, peak values, true peaks, a-weighted loudness etc.
Keep in mind problems I've had with similar plugins:
  • Bilinear transform for A-weighting filter is not accurate enough
  • The official definition of dBFS sets a full-scale sine wave at 0 dBFS, full-scale square at +3 dBFS
One thing SaikeMultiSpectralAnalyzer.jsfx does that Signalizer doesn't is squish the log scale so that the DC component is still visible:

DC component.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks.

Yeah if you want the DC component in Signalizer you will have to switch to linear scale.

I've downprioritized the statistics part though, there's a lot of other programs out there that do a pretty good job. And I don't have that much free time anymore, so it's at least a bit into the future :)

You're doing a beautiful peace of work here, I love this to bits!

I hope that you know how valuable this is, it's insane how precise this tool is, I'm especially baffled by the oscilloscope.

Please, when you're done coding this, contact someone who could distribute this for you, the world needs to see this, producers an engineers all over the world must know of this!

Look up Steve Duda, he partnered up with a lot of people to make one of the best softsynths on the market and released it on one of the biggest platforms for VST plugins (Splice), maybe he'd also want the best analising plugin on there too :wink: 8) :tu:

FAbulous. On it!!!

Thanks guys - you know, it makes it all worth it knowing it assists people out there doing audio or whatever :)

I may take it some steps further in the future, but with the time I have right now I still can't keep it with all the lovely ideas and feature requests people send my way :)

Hi!

Repeatedly messing with the history size while looking at the oscilloscope seems to break something. Something like 3000ms never works, but changing from the initial 1000ms -> 3000 -> 100 --> 200 --> 300 --> 3000 --> 1000ms or something like that at semi random, at some point 1000ms stops looking like it did in the beginning, it looks something like what I'd expect 50ms to look. Tested with looking at just a simple kick-bass line.

Return to “Effects”