TBProAudio releases AB_LM - Loudness Match and Gain Staging Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ABLM2

The UI looks nice!

But I find it not without flaws. Its very easy to get confused is this element active or deactivated, because it's all white or dark. A bit color for active or not would help a lot.

And I think the post-fx gain display acts strange. It seems not accurate.

-> signal -> ab_lm -> FX (just chaning the volume with it) -> ab_lm

I add 17.2db of volume for the effect any nothing changes at the post-fx gain display, it stays at 12. It's also different to the older version, which seems more accurate (displays 23.2 in this case). It seems sometimes there is a display limit at 12 post-fx gain or something.

Is this a bug? I really want to see how big the difference is fast and accurate. I also use this display to know how much gain I have to add later after removing ab_lm when I'm done with tweaking the effect.

Otherwise I use the standard 3000ms and R128sl.

Also when I use the old and new ab_lm on the same dublicated channel all values are a tiny bit different (around 0.4~ delta I would say from a rough evaluation). When I do this with the old ab_lm they display the exact same values. Is this expected?

track a -> ab_lm -> +14db -> ab_lm
track a -> ab_lm-old -> +14db -> ab_lm-old

midi_transmission wrote:The UI looks nice!

But I find it not without flaws. Its very easy to get confused is this element active or deactivated, because it's all white or dark. A bit color for active or not would help a lot.

And I think the post-fx gain display acts strange. It seems not accurate.

-> signal -> ab_lm -> FX (just chaning the volume with it) -> ab_lm

I add 17.2db of volume for the effect any nothing changes at the post-fx gain display, it stays at 12. It's also different to the older version, which seems more accurate (displays 23.2 in this case). It seems sometimes there is a display limit at 12 post-fx gain or something.

Is this a bug? I really want to see how big the difference is fast and accurate. I also use this display to know how much gain I have to add later after removing ab_lm when I'm done with tweaking the effect.

Otherwise I use the standard 3000ms and R128sl.

Also when I use the old and new ab_lm on the same dublicated channel all values are a tiny bit different (around 0.4~ delta I would say from a rough evaluation). When I do this with the old ab_lm they display the exact same values. Is this expected?

track a -> ab_lm -> +14db -> ab_lm
track a -> ab_lm-old -> +14db -> ab_lm-old
Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, there some limits in the Pre/Post FX Diff and Gain meter display. We will change this with v1.5.1.

Update to V1.5.1:
- Fix: Min/Max pre-gain/gain limits extended to -/+144 dB
- Fix: Meter display Post FX gain changed to exact opposite of Post FX diff

That was very fast. :) Thanks for fixing it.

The delta-monitoring is a nice addition, starting to use it regularly to get an additional point of view about the changes made by the fx

I find it also much clearer what Ref.lev and Pre FX are doing than before from the ui. I needed to read the manual detailed to get it before, I think one could understand it now just from the ui.

Imho AB_LM this is one of the most useful utility plugins out there for serious audio engineering and I'm also glad that you keep a simple copy protection that doesn't punish the paying user with overhead or limitation.

midi_transmission wrote:That was very fast. :) Thanks for fixing it.

The delta-monitoring is a nice addition, starting to use it regularly to get an additional point of view about the changes made by the fx

I find it also much clearer what Ref.lev and Pre FX are doing than before from the ui. I needed to read the manual detailed to get it before, I think one could understand it now just from the ui.

Imho AB_LM this is one of the most useful utility plugins out there for serious audio engineering and I'm also glad that you keep a simple copy protection that doesn't punish the paying user with overhead or limitation.
Thank you Sir :)

Update 1.6.0:
- Measurement Methods: max peak level added (please review your settings if upgrading old projects)
- Delta Monitoring: works now with all match modes and AB switch (see manual for more details)
- GainStaging: show negative Post-FX gain values for positive Pre-FX/Drive values
- GUI: small fixes
- AAX: fix rounding int values

I've tried quite a few of these type of tool but this is the best one so far!
I purchased yesterday after trying the demo for awhile.
AB_LM saves me a lot of time over doing this 'manually' in my DAW.

I tried the old version a few years back but this looks a lot nicer and 'cleaner'. :)

TB-ProAudio wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 am ...
Question; is there a way to further adjust output of the plug-in? Say, I compressed+brightened something and feel's ab_lm is 1 max 2db louder than what it should be, can I adjust that?

Cooker wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm
Question; is there a way to further adjust output of the plug-in? Say, I compressed+brightened something and feel's ab_lm is 1 max 2db louder than what it should be, can I adjust that?
Sorry, but this function is currently not available. You could use a simple gain plug-in afterwards...

TB-ProAudio wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 am
Cooker wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm
Sorry, but this function is currently not available. You could use a simple gain plug-in afterwards...
But when A/B'ing that won't be helpful, I only need the slight gain tweak (usually decrease) when listening what I've processed not the original source sound.

Thanks for answering though, my final request is to ask this idea to your mastering engineers who does your beta testing. They might agree it could be a useful update someday, have a nice day.

Cooker wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:17 pm
But when A/B'ing that won't be helpful, I only need the slight gain tweak (usually decrease) when listening what I've processed not the original source sound.

Thanks for answering though, my final request is to ask this idea to your mastering engineers who does your beta testing. They might agree it could be a useful update someday, have a nice day.
OK, let us think about how we can change that.

Update to 1.6.3:
- Optimized background for HiDPI
- Disable auto update gain diff storage
- Fix for wrong gain differences if latency compensation enabled and DAW starts playing

Update to 1.6.7:
- UPDATE: global reset of pre-gain diff and gain diff (shift mouse click)
- UPDATE: Pre FX, match max value, changed from shift mouse click to ctrl mouse click
- UPDATE: global match (shift mouse click)
- UPDATE: stepped level/gain mouse input

1.6.5:
- Small GUI changes
- Info menu

1.6.4:
- Ableton Live: Set "Disable Storage GainDiff" to default on
- GUI: fix wrong label for latency parameter

I'm at the verge of buying this plugin, as it's exactly what i've been searching for for a long time. However, i'm having the following issue: When i run the plugin and pause my song, the gain will keep on being compensated which results in a very loud short overcompensation when i start my song again.

I know this can be solved by putting a limiter in the end of the chain, but i feel it's something that should be solved by the plugin itself.

Is there a solution to this within the plugin that i haven't discovered?

MacOS 10.15.4 running Bitwig

Rosted wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 pm I'm at the verge of buying this plugin, as it's exactly what i've been searching for for a long time. However, i'm having the following issue: When i run the plugin and pause my song, the gain will keep on being compensated which results in a very loud short overcompensation when i start my song again.

I know this can be solved by putting a limiter in the end of the chain, but i feel it's something that should be solved by the plugin itself.

Is there a solution to this within the plugin that i haven't discovered?

MacOS 10.15.4 running Bitwig
This is not the usual case:-(
1) do you use match mode "auto"?
2) creates one of your sandwiched plugin latency?

Return to “Effects”