Dust Analyzer (still "beta") [was: quickie signal analyzer proto]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ditto, bManic. I use 4.5dB/octave weighting all the time, too [Voxengo SPAN].
Last edited by DuX on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

bmanic wrote:
mystran wrote: please: suggestions on what "weights" are useful.. this are rather trivial to add but I'm not sure which ones to bother with..
I'd like 4.5dB/octave weight. I know the dB(A) thing is quite close in a way but somehow I'm so damn used to 4.5dB/octave as it's the default of Voxengo SPAN (and it's much more useful than 3dB/octave).
Well, dB(A) is for noise-weighting, so I wouldn't use that for mixing really. To be honest I'm not totally convinced if it's that useful for anything, but I already had it implemented by the time I realized that it's not that great.. :P

Anyway, the weight functions are really simple things to add, it's just a matter of figuring out which ones are useful. I've been meaning to add some others too (like 12dB/octave for some debugging jobs) so I'll add that and the 4.5dB/oct in the next build.

Great, Mystran! :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hmmh.. for the "bargraph" though, I'll need to do some more work to figure out how weighting should be integrated for that, so it'll stay "unweighted" (which gives roughly flat response with 3dB/oct noise, because of the nature of the analysis, though it's not totally exact).

edit: oh and I have a basic sonogram already working, just needs some fine-tuning before I'll upload that..

Actually considering adding basic (eg cubic) interpolation to the spectrum too.. to round the ugly low-frequencies to something that looks nicer..

Also will increase the width from 600px to 720px in next version.. since it looks a bit more relaxed, and I'm running out of space for options anyway. ;)

It might get a bit crowded with features but some kind of decay control would be nice too. :D

It's a bit too "hectic" for my taste.. makes me nervous. :lol:

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:It might get a bit crowded with features but some kind of decay control would be nice too. :D

It's a bit too "hectic" for my taste.. makes me nervous. :lol:
The basic spectrum mode was specifically designed to be "fast update" for analysis purposes and such, where you want to see fast time-evolution..

But yeah I can see how it might be a bit hectic if you're trying to visualize Shpongle. Anyway, the whole thing is very much work-in-progress, so probably at some point there will be more options for less hectic visualization.

ps. basically this is sort of side-project whenever I get tired of audio, and want to push some pixels around. ;)

0.7.0:

- widened GUI to 720px (was 600px) for more "relaxed" feel

- somewhat re-organized controls (most obviously freeze is now first)

- added 4.5dB/oct and 12dB/oct scaling modes to spectrum

- improved "bar-graph" scaling and selectivity (still not "correct" but better)

- added basic sonogram display (might need more work), which does stereo with red=right, green=left, blue="loud mid" and "conventional" total power palette, please note that the "fast scroll" doesn't really show more information, it just scrolls faster (with interpolation) for visual purposes

The sonogram scrolls up (with new information on the bottom) because after some experimentation I found this to be the most useful way.. the time-resolution is going to suck anyway, so better use "more pixels" for frequency..

It's currently "best effort" (like everything else) so exact scrolling depends on GUI refresh.. but at least on my system it appears stable enough to be usable anyway..

edit: oh and the coloring is "empirically tweaked" to try to get a reasonable clear picture of what sort of stuff is going on .. so the colors don't really correspond to any "scientific" amplitude levels.. I might tweak them further after using it for a while..

edit2: oh and the "blue" in the stereo mode just makes yellow into white in practice.. this is sort-of intentional..

edit3: currently sonogram doesn't handle mode-switching very well.. I'll probably move that processing into a separate frame-buffer later, so one can "instantly" switch like the other modes.. but it needs some larger-scale re-organization in the code-base..

Wow. Thanks for this Mystran. Looks great. :tu:

I'm really starting to miss some sort of "semi-transparent floating mini-mode" though.. hmmh.. I wonder how hard that sort of thing would be to implement (without running into a zillion new compatibility problems).

Did some quick samplerate tests - works well here. Reaper, XP sp3, Focusrite Pro40 - 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz. Thanks!

I have another suggestion - from a developer's point of view - screen-grab?
I use an external one alot, useful for comparing stuff, without having to redo everything in a DAW again.

Ichad.c wrote:Did some quick samplerate tests - works well here. Reaper, XP sp3, Focusrite Pro40 - 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz. Thanks!

I have another suggestion - from a developer's point of view - screen-grab?
I use an external one alot, useful for comparing stuff, without having to redo everything in a DAW again.
Hmmh.. screen-grab? You mean like screenshot type of thing?

For regular screenshots print-screen (or alt-printscreen) should work, except with maybe some silly old OGL drivers.

But if you mean something else, please explain?

mystran wrote: Hmmh.. screen-grab? You mean like screenshot type of thing?
Sorry, screenshot - thinking in another language :oops:
mystran wrote: For regular screenshots print-screen (or alt-printscreen) should work, except with maybe some silly old OGL drivers.

That has never worked here(old & new PC) - guess it's a dual-screen thing.

No biggy, I'm use to doing it manually.

Ichad.c wrote: That has never worked here(old & new PC) - guess it's a dual-screen thing.

No biggy, I'm use to doing it manually.
If it's just OpenGL stuff that refuses screenshots, then some silly drivers use overlays or some such thing, which makes it fail. It works on Win7 for me with both AMD and NVidia, but I know some other stuff won't work, unfortunately.

Well, it's not entirely impossible to add screenshot functionality, I'll add it to the list of things to consider..

Return to “Effects”